Recommend me some tank games please.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Elgin_McQueen
Posts: 6745
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:08 am
Location: Elgin, Scotland

Re: Recommend me some tank games please.

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:51 am

The Tank game on Wii Play was pretty addictive!
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Image
Image

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26816
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Recommend me some tank games please.

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:04 am

Since we now have Sega Model 2 emulators, Desert Tank could be worth a shot.

Never played it, but as a Sega arcade game it's no doubt a lot of fun for a short session.

For something more strategic, there's Team Yankee. Had a copy of this for the ST, pretty good, but quite complex, so mileage may vary.

Tread Marks looks good.

Only vaguely a tank game, but there's the titular Metal Slug.

And really stretching things, there's the old Konami arcade game Tutankham ;)
Last edited by Antiriad2097 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Edited for 4:3 video
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
joefish
Posts: 3070
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Recommend me some tank games please.

Post by joefish » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:15 am

I like something a bit quicker, so you can always try Cyber Sled. Ideally emulate the arcade version for proper two-stick control. I have it on the Playstation but despite them making a two-stick peripheral, the analogue two-stick control mode doesn't work like you'd expect. It uses one for movement and the other for turning, unlike the arcade. Virtual-On, though being about giant robots, has a great two-stick tank-like control method too.

I have another tank-like PS1 FPS, but I can't remember the name. Used some moody Roger Dean art and designs.

But they're all ruined by directional controls. Can anyone recommend some good games to me (besides Battlezone, Cyber Sled and Assault in the arcade) that have good twin-stick tank control, where you drive both forward to go forward, one back to turn, etc.

I've seriously considered making myself a little electronic patch-board so I can turn two stick controls into forward/back/turn/strafe inputs on a PS1 pad just so I can play all these games like I think they should be played!

User avatar
davyK
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:13 am
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: Recommend me some tank games please.

Post by davyK » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:06 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:The Tank game on Wii Play was pretty addictive!

Beat me to it. Lovely little game. If Nintendo had included a straight up 2 player versus 2600 Combat style mode it would have been perfect.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24747
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Recommend me some tank games please.

Post by DPrinny » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:04 am

joefish wrote:I like something a bit quicker, so you can always try Cyber Sled. Ideally emulate the arcade version for proper two-stick control. I have it on the Playstation but despite them making a two-stick peripheral, the analogue two-stick control mode doesn't work like you'd expect. It uses one for movement and the other for turning, unlike the arcade. Virtual-On, though being about giant robots, has a great two-stick tank-like control method too.

I have another tank-like PS1 FPS, but I can't remember the name. Used some moody Roger Dean art and designs.

But they're all ruined by directional controls. Can anyone recommend some good games to me (besides Battlezone, Cyber Sled and Assault in the arcade) that have good twin-stick tank control, where you drive both forward to go forward, one back to turn, etc.

I've seriously considered making myself a little electronic patch-board so I can turn two stick controls into forward/back/turn/strafe inputs on a PS1 pad just so I can play all these games like I think they should be played!
The same happened with Virtual On
Nothing beats playing it on a twin stick

User avatar
joefish
Posts: 3070
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Recommend me some tank games please.

Post by joefish » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:10 am

OK, I've given up the hunt.

I did try bidding on some SEGA Twin-Stick controllers for Saturn Virtual-On. Apparently, via an adaptor, they'll work with Dreamcast Virtual-On too, but it seems the only copies of either game kicking around are Japanese. Anyway, I always got outbid, even for tatty examples that I could have hacked onto Atari or USB connectors. These things have two digital joysticks, and map the right stick onto the Saturn controller buttons. The console doesn't know what you've plugged in, and you can actually play any game, just tapping the right stick for button operations!

Annoyingly enough, I always only ever seem to be beaten on retro stuff on eBay by one more bid, rather than seeing a whole pile of bids go on after I've given up...

So I've bought a sloping ABS box (BIM1006 BLK model, turned over), two of these mini-grip arcade joysticks:
http://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/M ... stick.html

And a couple of 9-pin extension leads, and will set-to with the soldering iron.

The plan is to link the thumb buttons together, along with a single central Start/Function button on the case, onto Fire on the left stick, and link both triggers to Fire on the right stick. Though I've already hit a snag as the two stick buttons share a common ground wire, so I need to open them up and re-wire them to be completely independent.

User avatar
Treguard
Posts: 2392
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Recommend me some tank games please.

Post by Treguard » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:33 am

DPrinny wrote:
joefish wrote:I like something a bit quicker, so you can always try Cyber Sled. Ideally emulate the arcade version for proper two-stick control. I have it on the Playstation but despite them making a two-stick peripheral, the analogue two-stick control mode doesn't work like you'd expect. It uses one for movement and the other for turning, unlike the arcade. Virtual-On, though being about giant robots, has a great two-stick tank-like control method too.

I have another tank-like PS1 FPS, but I can't remember the name. Used some moody Roger Dean art and designs.

But they're all ruined by directional controls. Can anyone recommend some good games to me (besides Battlezone, Cyber Sled and Assault in the arcade) that have good twin-stick tank control, where you drive both forward to go forward, one back to turn, etc.

I've seriously considered making myself a little electronic patch-board so I can turn two stick controls into forward/back/turn/strafe inputs on a PS1 pad just so I can play all these games like I think they should be played!
The same happened with Virtual On
Nothing beats playing it on a twin stick
I actually prefer playing Virtual On with the Saturn pad than the twin stick, which is handy for multiplayer. the final boss on that game is an utter sod though. I always run out of time.

User avatar
PanzerGeneral
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:34 pm
Location: N.W

Re: Recommend me some tank games please.

Post by PanzerGeneral » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:55 pm

ImageImageImage

These are three of the best, Panzer Commander puts you in the driving seat, Panzer General 2 and Peoples General are very similar but set in different timelines, the game engine is the best turn based strategy I have ever played and has still not been bettered as far as I am concerned.

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7586
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Recommend me some tank games please.

Post by Shinobi » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:29 pm

There's a good SNK tank game on SNK classic's 0 it's just called Tank.. There was also a 1988 Tank game called Cybertank by a little known company called Coreland.. I remember seeing it reviewed in C&VG still looks really good will have to download that and get it a try
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26816
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Recommend me some tank games please.

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:41 pm

A couple of the Panzer General games are on sale at GoG at the moment:
http://www.gog.com/promo/weekly_staff_p ... lly_280915
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
oli_lar
Posts: 4148
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:26 pm

Re: Recommend me some tank games please.

Post by oli_lar » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:51 pm

markopoloman wrote:Pocket tanks for PC

http://pocket-tanks.en.softonic.com/
The amount of time I've wasted over the years just messing about on it is criminal.

Does Granada count?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests