Anyone got a RG digital subscription?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rolan

Anyone got a RG digital subscription?

Post by rolan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:35 am

I'm leaving the UK and not really super keen on paying the postage for overseas subscription.

Does anyone have the digital subscription? Is it basically exactly the same as the physical magazine? (basically I don't want anything cut or different from the actual magazine), and how future proof is it for like 5-10 years when i cant remember my apple passwords etc and my phone has long since died etc... I know there is a subs section but I'm interested in the opinion of someone who already subscribes this way. Do you feel like your missing out? or is digital more convenient as you can read past issues without losing whole rooms to storage... ?

It would be ideal if I could read it on iphone but I'd also big time miss the actual physical magazine and seeing whats on the cover etc.

Anyway thanks :)

psj3809

Re: Anyone got a RG digital subscription?

Post by psj3809 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:59 am

I buy all the bookazines/mini mags from GamesTM/Retro Gamer and they're fine.

I'm good with reading it on my iphone or ipad. Yes theres the whole 'future proof' thing but i dont think you can really think like that. Dont think any of us were playing 8 bit games in the 80's thinking about what happens in 10 years time if we cant play these tapes.

Cant see iphones disappearing anytime soon, if Retro Gamer/Imagine went under years later then they might stop their yearly Apple developer subscription etc but again i dont think you can really think crazy things ilke that. Subscribe and enjoy or buy single issues.

I stil get the physical version but i'm very tempted to go fully digital as i enjoy the Retro bookazines/Games TM mini mags via the app

rolan

Post by rolan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:38 am

oh right do they not do digital subscriptions for the magazine? I'd want it to be exactly the same right down to the adverts to be honest... anyone know if this is the case?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:39 am

Got it, via the google store, its cheaper, I have also subscibed to it via this method

Only problem with is sometimes the quality is terrible, im taking hardly readable

this can be due to the background behind text or to it being blurry (A kin to some early magazine scans)
Picutres of what im talking about is here
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=50530

On the google store version I can tap "Text only" but its a bit arse just having text

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:05 am

Are they copy protected, or are they easy to chop up to make compilation mags of fave systems/articles?

If they are copy protected, is it easy to strip that? It'd be nice to make them less system dependent, so I could drop stuff onto my Kindle for example, or go full colour on my tablet.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:08 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Are they copy protected, or are they easy to chop up to make compilation mags of fave systems/articles?

If they are copy protected, is it easy to strip that? It'd be nice to make them less system dependent, so I could drop stuff onto my Kindle for example, or go full colour on my tablet.
No comment ;)

rolan

Post by rolan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:30 am

Wow that really is a division 4 scanner they're using.... :shock: , is it full issues though? With adverts front and back covers etc? Might actually be handier for the future to have everything digital.... and i guess in theory you could just print it if you really liked an issue or article?

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:34 pm

I've often thought about getting a decent reader and a digital sub...the postage to NZ is eye watering for hard copies of bookazines n mags (our exchange rate has just made it much worse), and of course there is the physical space on the shelf mags take up. It is wonderful being able to take a mag out on a sunday morning to read, but there is only so much mag shelf space available. I will have to start culling a few mags soon, keep the bookazines and favourites though.
An e- sub with a decent reader may be a great option for me :)