Why do so many people play retro games in 16:9?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

When playing retro games, what aspect ratio do you use the majority of the time?

4:3
72%
16:9
28%

Total votes: 18

Sephiroth81

Re: Why do so many people play retro games in 16:9?

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:10 pm

Rayne wrote:I hate having borders on my games, I'd much rather stretch the image slightly out of proportion to fill the screen.
Maybe, but it depends entirely on the TV or device. On tablets it looks pretty bad and stretched, same as on the PSP. On a fairly normal, squarish TV it looks acceptable.

I guess that is why Nintendo choose for the Gamepad to make it 4:3 for older games. It would look too stretched playing NES, N64 and SNES games on that device.
Antiriad2097 wrote:Are you secretly a girl?
Eh? :?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:29 pm

If I wanted it to look really reatro I'd play them in b+w for Speccy games and smear grease on the monitor for arcade games (for that authentic 'chip-shop' experience). In all honesty I haven't even considered the aspect ratio of my retro gaming, as most of the games don't look anything like the did on my old portable back in the day.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:15 pm

I remember the battle of the ports and people thought the Arcade Double Dragon was as bad as the Commodore 64 due to the abysmal emulation commenting on how jerky and slow it was and the Lee brothers looked like they where walking through treacle.. People posted the Arcade Double Dragon was fab it was censored emulation he was using...

Probably the sort of people who download a load of roms and film themselves playing each game for a few minutes for that few minutes of fame.. More like casual players who don't really care about resolution
Last edited by Shinobi on Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:46 pm

I find, on the rare occasions I have the wrong aspect ratio, that it throws my game off a bit.

Those precise arcs for jumps are now the wrong shape, those pixel perfectly matched movements up/down/left/right are no longer quite in synch (with left/right movement being exaggerated due to the stretching). It's a small change, but if I correct the aspect ratio I'm suddenly noticeably better at playing.

It's a bit like playing pool on a table that's 20ft long and 3ft wide, all the angles are off and it just looks/feels wrong. You're changing the play area and all the relationships within.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:48 pm

Because people are stupid.

I've even been in a cinema where they projected the film in the wrong ratio forthe first 20mins. I think no one else noticed. (1.77:1 (16:() vs 2.35:1)

Still different people care about different things.... I hate the emulating of the blur/scanlines to look like old tvs/monitors. I regard it as a failing of the crap hardware of the time and that proper pixely display is more like it would have been opn a decent display. (I have a proper monitor on my amiga so I saw the pixels then at least (was given a monitor where the end was ripped off, standard pc vga one, put on a amiga plug and used dblscan modes, worked lovely).

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:12 am

:lol: you're all such massive nerds. :wink:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:46 am

paranoid marvin wrote:If I wanted it to look really reatro I'd play them in b+w for Speccy games and smear grease on the monitor for arcade games (for that authentic 'chip-shop' experience).
I literally spat my tea over my shirt at that comment. ROFL

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:59 am

Carrot007 wrote:Because people are stupid.
What a silly generalisation, people either don't know any better, they just don't care or they don't want massive borders either side or like the old pal day's top and bottom.
Being stupid doesn't even come into the equation, your response is a typical nerdy retro gamer elitist comment.
"Time fades even legend..."

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:02 am

samhain81 wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:If I wanted it to look really reatro I'd play them in b+w for Speccy games and smear grease on the monitor for arcade games (for that authentic 'chip-shop' experience).
I literally spat my tea over my shirt at that comment. ROFL
I know! It's just not authentic unless you hire a surly turkish man to stand in the background and occasionally shout.

davyK

Post by davyK » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:09 pm

It's a bug bear of mine too. 4:3 games look pretty awful on the whole in 16:9. One game I have found that looks OK stretched is MK DD on Gamecube.

Kororinpa on Wii has a bug that stretches the image when you select widescreen - so I play it in 4:3.

I'm also a fan of TATE mode for STGs/shmups.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:14 am

I find some games look ok stretched from 4:3 to 16:9 mostly newer systems like the PS2, I was playing Red Faction a few months back (before my trusty CRT blew up!) and found it to be more than playable on 16:9

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:21 am

You didn't mind that everyone was short and fat?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:51 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:You didn't mind that everyone was short and fat?
You're from Aberdeen, you must be used to seeing it by now :twisted:

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:13 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:You didn't mind that everyone was short and fat?
You're from Aberdeen, you must be used to seeing it by now :twisted:
Being the Cheap plastic horrible City I imagined it to be like stepping into Minecraft.

I was somewhat dissapointed.

Awesome the word "Gran1te" is still filtered, it makes my post even more pointless....
Last edited by pantal00ns on Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:21 am

Rayne wrote:I hate having borders on my games, I'd much rather stretch the image slightly out of proportion to fill the screen.
Same here, dont mind if the games stretched a bit. People are sounding like the music nerds who used to moan about digital music not being 'real' and they preferred to play crackly old records on their old record player which just works for the proper 'authentic' sound.

Dont get me wrong i like 'at times' putting scanlines on MAME as it gives me a bit of a nostalgia boost but i normally play without them. Its like Speccy emulators, does anyone really use the 'slow load' function ? I might once just to hear that noise again or to see a loading screen but with an emulator you might as well load it up instantly.