The price of retro

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Re: The price of retro

Post by DPrinny » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:01 am

You know what?

I was bidding on a copy of Typing of the dead on Dreamcast (US), disc only, plonked in a tenner
It went for over £20
I was also watching a boxed copy on Amazon for £25 all in

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:10 am

i'm in the process of making my absolute final list of stuff i want, more and more I am finding that everdrives are the solution, just concentrating on ps2 and psp now as my wishlist is mostly racers and platformers and there are plenty of both on those systems

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:41 am

I'm so happy I only grew up with the main commercial systems, and never subjected to the foreign market of videogame consoles and games, otherwise I'd be knee deep in debt right now.

I am also happy that my only real desire in my collecting life, is to just rebuy the games I actually played as a child, in as good a condition as possible. (Which as far as I can remember, I've nearly completed doing) - Anything else on top is just the odd purchase for cheap.

Everything else, I emulate.

It's only ever been about nostalgia for me. No desire to collect for any other system that I didn't own, or any game that I didn't play as a child (at least the legitimate way)

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:07 pm

samhain81 wrote:I'm so happy I only grew up with the main commercial systems, and never subjected to the foreign market of videogame consoles and games, otherwise I'd be knee deep in debt right now.

I am also happy that my only real desire in my collecting life, is to just rebuy the games I actually played as a child, in as good a condition as possible. (Which as far as I can remember, I've nearly completed doing) - Anything else on top is just the odd purchase for cheap.
same here, especially as the japanese love racing games even more than I do :lol:

I have recently decided to concentrate on getting stuff I had as a kid, my collection was always kept absolutely mint and if the guy i sold it too kept it the same, it would have been a collectors dream these days. The biggest flaw I had was buying a ps2, and then working somewhere that sold the games :lol:

I think there is a lot of pressure in the retro world these days, a lot of people seem to want more/better than everyone else, which seems to translate into how much money they can sink into their collection. That just isn't me, and I think more and more there are people saying that it isnt them either

n-g-m

Post by n-g-m » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:02 pm

Prices started to hike about 2-3 years ago on 8/16 bit Nintendo stuff, particularly CIB. I thought it would probably last a few month and then come down but the current state of play is likely to stay around for a while yet - if anything getting higher!

Main reasons for not being able to pick up much cheap anymore IMO are:

1) Nearly all charity shops these days have E-Bay stores meaning anything good goes on Ebay and the rubbish gets put in the shop. I've even heard of unscrupulous workers who volunteer at these shops cherry picking things before they go on general sale and paying peanuts for them, followed by making a killing on Ebay themselves.

2) Auctions are going for just as much as BIN's these days if it CIB - In fact, these sometimes fetch more.

3) The general public are more clued up as retro is all over the place these days and people now decide to look up completed listing to see what their items are worth whereas before they didn't. They then prices items at stupid starting auction prices or silly BIN's. Lost count how many Ebayers I've seen doing this who appear to be newbies (ie they have 50 FB or less)

4) Too many dealers at carboots that (if there are any bargains to be had) swipe them all before the majority of us get there - At local carboots near me it isn't uncommon for people to start arriving and sniping at 4 am in the morning even when it supposed to be a 6-7am start!

I'm not sure where this will end but it has to crash sometime. People cannot keep paying these kind of prices and, to be honest, I don't know how dealers can make a profit anymore either. I used to buy bundles, re-sell what I didn't want, keep what I did for my collection and build it that way whilst usually making a small profit on the re-selling (or at least making it pay for itself!)

When auctions for a bundle of say 10 popular SNES games and a console regularly go for around £100-150+ and the individual average BIN selling prices of these games are approximately the same cost (meaning there is hardly any mark up at all, and when there is a small amount, these fees and postage wipe what's left of it out).

Whilst that may make many re-sellers go out of business, I'm not sure it will stop the rise though. When the general public think boxed NES's are worth £150-200 and people are still paying this, it is a recipe for the price rise to continue.

The only formats that seem to be fairly priced at the moment is anything 6th gen and above. It's a good time to stock up on these at least.

As for 8/16 bit systems, I think it will continue until the next generation of nostalgia fueled collectors come which will be 5th gen era.

Since selling my main collection in 2011-12, it's cost me a small fortune to buy a tiny fraction of what I used to own.

I mean my NES collection consists of a Minty Deluxe set, Action Set, Control Deck Set and 120 CIB games (included Megaman's Gargoyles Quest 2, Zeldas, to name but a few) wouldn't go for £1500 these days would it?

PrimalScientist

Post by PrimalScientist » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:04 pm

Currently bidding on this.

But, is it overpriced???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321905184434? ... EBIDX%3AIT

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:05 pm

PrimalScientist wrote:Currently bidding on this.

But, is it overpriced???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321905184434? ... EBIDX%3AIT
I'd say it is. Never been plugged in (allegedly), so no guarantee it will work. You could be paying well over £100 for a piece of useless plastic and silicon.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

PrimalScientist

Post by PrimalScientist » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:07 pm

Anyone need a C64 for spare parts? Potentially anyway... :(

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:06 pm

n-g-m wrote:Prices started to hike about 2-3 years ago on 8/16 bit Nintendo stuff, particularly CIB. I thought it would probably last a few month and then come down but the current state of play is likely to stay around for a while yet - if anything getting higher!

Main reasons for not being able to pick up much cheap anymore IMO are:

1) Nearly all charity shops these days have E-Bay stores meaning anything good goes on Ebay and the rubbish gets put in the shop. I've even heard of unscrupulous workers who volunteer at these shops cherry picking things before they go on general sale and paying peanuts for them, followed by making a killing on Ebay themselves.

2) Auctions are going for just as much as BIN's these days if it CIB - In fact, these sometimes fetch more.

3) The general public are more clued up as retro is all over the place these days and people now decide to look up completed listing to see what their items are worth whereas before they didn't. They then prices items at stupid starting auction prices or silly BIN's. Lost count how many Ebayers I've seen doing this who appear to be newbies (ie they have 50 FB or less)

4) Too many dealers at carboots that (if there are any bargains to be had) swipe them all before the majority of us get there - At local carboots near me it isn't uncommon for people to start arriving and sniping at 4 am in the morning even when it supposed to be a 6-7am start!

I'm not sure where this will end but it has to crash sometime. People cannot keep paying these kind of prices and, to be honest, I don't know how dealers can make a profit anymore either. I used to buy bundles, re-sell what I didn't want, keep what I did for my collection and build it that way whilst usually making a small profit on the re-selling (or at least making it pay for itself!)

When auctions for a bundle of say 10 popular SNES games and a console regularly go for around £100-150+ and the individual average BIN selling prices of these games are approximately the same cost (meaning there is hardly any mark up at all, and when there is a small amount, these fees and postage wipe what's left of it out).

Whilst that may make many re-sellers go out of business, I'm not sure it will stop the rise though. When the general public think boxed NES's are worth £150-200 and people are still paying this, it is a recipe for the price rise to continue.

The only formats that seem to be fairly priced at the moment is anything 6th gen and above. It's a good time to stock up on these at least.

As for 8/16 bit systems, I think it will continue until the next generation of nostalgia fueled collectors come which will be 5th gen era.

Since selling my main collection in 2011-12, it's cost me a small fortune to buy a tiny fraction of what I used to own.

I mean my NES collection consists of a Minty Deluxe set, Action Set, Control Deck Set and 120 CIB games (included Megaman's Gargoyles Quest 2, Zeldas, to name but a few) wouldn't go for £1500 these days would it?
Fantastic points, and absolutely bang on. The net and savvy sellers have meant you can get almost whatever you want online nowadays...but at a cost. I used to love looking around garage sales and op shops for game and watches...those days are gone. Half the fun was getting them so cheap :(

PrimalScientist

Post by PrimalScientist » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:55 pm

Well that C64 is up to £132 now. I doubt I will rebid...

David

Post by David » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:00 pm

I just bouhht 18 boxed MD games off eBay (all from different sellrs) and it cost £140ish

granted it's not all rubbish like FIFA etc and I know postage is factored into costs, but even stuff like Italia 90 is a fiver just now

still, happy with what I bought.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:13 pm

PrimalScientist wrote:Well that C64 is up to £132 now. I doubt I will rebid...
If it was a silver label, I'd definitely say yes, but it's close to a million serial number so... probably not.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

PrimalScientist

Post by PrimalScientist » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:23 am

That C64 is hit £250 now, with 8 hours to go.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:58 am

PrimalScientist wrote:That C64 is hit £250 now, with 8 hours to go.
For something that no one knows if it is functional or not. £250 is a lot for something to just stick aside as a "look at me!" piece.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:45 am

I've stopped buying lately as the prices have gone up so much. I do occasionally pick something up on a Facebook group or the odd charity shop but prices have inflated very quickly.

Trouble is, people assume retro games are worth a fortune... the game I have that's worth the most is worth less than £80.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.