The price of retro

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GarryG

Re: The price of retro

Post by GarryG » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:53 pm

You can't get retro games from a high-street retailer any more, even most charity shops have less, so E bay is probably by far the single biggest marketplace for retro games, and equipment, for most people. Even new game sales are receding in shops, with Game being the perfect example of only stocking what they think will sell mainstream!

That's just where we are now.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:41 pm

Came across a brand new copy of SNES Super Mario World (never out of the manufacturers seal or shops plastic casing) in an ebay auction which had 1 day to run and it was going for over £3000! I forgot to check what it finally went for but its just crazy money on places like ebay. I showed it to a colleague of mine and she looked completely shocked...

Best to stick to hunting round car boots and charity shops really.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:06 am

I have found facebook local selling groups to be a good source.

I got a boxed master system 2 and 12 games for £20.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:51 am

I think it's like anything - 10 years ago when I was collecting it really was a hobby and you could pick up stuff at reasonable prices. But as soon as people realised there was something to be "monetized" as they say, it just became another commodity with the stuff going to the richest bidder. Once you start feeling ripped off, the joy goes out of it a little...
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:57 am

Its been interesting seeing it all change over the years.

Remember seeing an advert for a Speccy emulator in a PC mag, bought that and went from there. Realising so many people had the same hobby as me regarding retro games was great. Going to Boyo's early retro shows, small gatherings but they were great, joining forums, talking old games etc, excellent times.

Now its getting more mainstream, i quite like knowing kids are into retro games or i even have people at work saying they played some retro games on their PSX3 etc and loved them, its pretty cool. Monthly retro mag, more retro shows including Play Expo which is huge. Theres still the smaller show for people who want that but i think its great seeing the rise and rise of retro.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:11 am

psj3809 wrote:Now its getting more mainstream, i quite like knowing kids are into retro games or i even have people at work saying they played some retro games on their PSX3 etc and loved them, its pretty cool. Monthly retro mag, more retro shows including Play Expo which is huge. Theres still the smaller show for people who want that but i think its great seeing the rise and rise of retro.
At my stall at PLAY Margate this weekend, I found it amazing how many kids could name retro game characters. They were naming sprites from Contra, Metal Slug, Street Fighter. One girl even named about 20 characters from Super Mario, and another kid got his parents to buy him a pixel art pic of Ryu from Street Fighter 2. I find it amazing that kids are into games that were released 15 or 20 years before they were born... I know when I was growing up I was only into the latest games, but I guess if their parents were gamers, they're going to grow up seeing and playing the old games too. Like you say, it's great seeing the rise of retro.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:25 am

Would the price also reflect on the age of the console/computer? Or what's in vogue to play or collect? I mean I'm no collector (I just pick up games I want to play) and I'm always on the lookout for cheap Wii games, which there are many.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:30 pm

I said something like this on another forum but back in the N64's day, were games from the previous two gens (NES, SNES) selling for absurd amounts? I don't think they were. Fast forward to today and the previous two gens of Nintendo - Gamecube and Wii - both have plenty of games that sell for more than the original RRP.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:26 pm

Prices seem to vary more now - just sold a MD pad for £8 - sold a pad, james pond and console and all the wires for £12.50 last week - how does that work!

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:56 pm

oli_lar wrote:Prices seem to vary more now - just sold a MD pad for £8 - sold a pad, james pond and console and all the wires for £12.50 last week - how does that work!
Pads for anything seem to go for strangely large amounts. I have a crate of controllers in the loft - it'll probably be my retirement fund
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:34 pm

retro games can still give a lot of bang for the buck, its just about looking sometimes.

I have said numerous times that if anyone wants help finding fun, cheap games for any system I know about, I would be happy to help them to find those hidden gems, if you are at an event, tell me and i'll help anyone find stuff I've even helped complete strangers, in my eyes its a nice thing to do.

I hope one day that someone says 'I really like this game, it only cost me a few pounds and some random short podgy dude at a show said it was good and he was right. you should try it too'

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:37 pm

Well, selling off the Nuon and N64DD items in my collection, along with some 2600 bits has paid the mortgage for four months, so there must be some value...!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:44 pm

Ebay and Amazon are largely overpriced but some bargains can be have such as a mint Alien Sysndrome for £2 on Amazon... Charity shops are really good for games at the moment.. I got a pal Dreamcast Cannon Spike and a Pal PS1 Legend of Kartia both 99p and both games sell for around the £200 mark..

Saw about 50 PS2, PS3, Wii, Gamecube and DS games in the charity shop today and a N64 Pokemon Colosseum 2 boxed for £5 I'm on good terms with the people who work in them and they keep me games by... Problem is most people know games are worth money these days...
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:49 am

Another reason emulators are popular, the originals can be silly prices...and if you want to play, not collect, unless you MUST have all original- It makes sense financially :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:09 am

Shinobi wrote:I got a pal Dreamcast Cannon Spike and a Pal PS1 Legend of Kartia both 99p and both games sell for around the £200 mark.
A bit wide of the mark there, since even on a good day you'd be lucky to get half that for Cannon Spike, but it did surprise me how much that went for now. It's not even a great game.

Must sort out my DC collection to sell of the games I won't play since they seem to be on a high just now.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.