The price of retro

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Re: The price of retro

Post by Megamixer » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:59 pm

Timothy Redux wrote:
oli_lar wrote:Prices seem to vary more now - just sold a MD pad for £8 - sold a pad, james pond and console and all the wires for £12.50 last week - how does that work!
Pads for anything seem to go for strangely large amounts. I have a crate of controllers in the loft - it'll probably be my retirement fund
Always blows me away when CEX want £20+ for Gamecube pads. Need a few spares but the prices!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:50 pm

Probably the demand from Smash Bros on the Wii U.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:31 am

Prices really are getting prohibitive, particularly on rubbish PAL stuff. It continues to baffle me why people will pay through the nose for inferior versions of classic games just to sate childhood memories. I love watching old films, but I don't buy VHS, I'll take Blu-Ray every time.

I was looking at getting a PC Engine the other day, but I just baulk at the prices of the games I'd like to play. I've managed to build up a decent little Japan Mega Drive collection of around 50 games, but even that has stalled because I'm unwilling to spend £30+ quid on the remaining games I want.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:50 am

I'm almost totally out of retro buying, luckily I have most of what I want anyway. Prices are killing the market.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:05 pm

Half the problem is those stupid Buzzfeed and Metro Online articles. "That Nintendo Gamecube that you bought for £150 back in the day now sells for £20,000!"

Bullsheet!
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:57 pm

Mayhem wrote:Probably the demand from Smash Bros on the Wii U.
I did think that but I also seem to remember GC pads commanding more money than Xbox or PS2 pads before Smash came out. That's the problem with consoles which sold comparitively poorly to their rivals: even accessories can become annoyingly pricey when everybody who didn't bother with the system in its day decides to start collecting/buying for it. Not enough stock to meet demand.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Analog

Post by Analog » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:36 am

yea it's getting a bit crazy really. i'd like to see more people that know the real value of things, and that can draw distinctions as to why some things are more valuable be more vocal about it. i've seen a few youtubers talk about it here and there, but nothing really seems to be really pushing for the prices to go down and giving their responses and opinions on auctions or games that are selling for high prices.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:26 am

The increased prices have surprised me, I genuinely thought interest would be waning by now. I definitely regret selling off my SNES collection, I'd have gotten another 3 or 400 quid from it by today's prices.

Luckily for me the majority of retro games I want to play are available via re-released collections and digital storefronts on current-gen systems. When that fails, there's emulation. So thankful I've finally kicked the urge to have a physical collection.

Evander

Post by Evander » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:12 pm

Paid about 60 quid for a mint copy of Castlevania SOTN 3 years ago. Seen a couple of Ebay auctions lately hitting £127 and £153.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:44 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Timothy Redux wrote:
oli_lar wrote:Prices seem to vary more now - just sold a MD pad for £8 - sold a pad, james pond and console and all the wires for £12.50 last week - how does that work!
Pads for anything seem to go for strangely large amounts. I have a crate of controllers in the loft - it'll probably be my retirement fund
Always blows me away when CEX want £20+ for Gamecube pads. Need a few spares but the prices!
CEX give you £13 for a controller (voucher) or £12 for a controller AND console!

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:04 pm

When the editor of the only regularity produced retro gaming magazine in the world thinks the prices are too high the you known there is an issue. All you have to do is go to eBay and look at the sold items the prices are all crazy even common stuff now is going for way more than I think its worth. The really crazy ones are the people paying stupid money just for empty boxes. It is not uncommon now for the game / console box to be worth more than a louse game or system. Some people will say its just “supply and demand” but who is buying games at these prices. A boxed paper Mario on the N64 now sells regularity for over £100. I really do not mind paying a fair price for games but I really feel like I am now priced out of the market. It must be a case of
old = rare = £££££££

I also does not help that every so often you will see an article in the “main stream media” about an NWC gold cart “selling” for over $100,000 or a boxed NTSC stadium events selling for over $40,000. Some regular guy see these and the next thing you know he is trying to sell a game boy with a copy of Tetris for £500 :(
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Spirit of AHB

Post by Spirit of AHB » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:15 pm

i always find sometimes thats its cheeper to buy old games in the wild then it is on ebay for the stuff that i want but i just get this feeling that gamers are getting a bit fed up of prices for modern and retro games i mean some are just not worth the money people and shops are asking for and well for people like me i just dont really buy or play games anymore and eventually one day the bubble will burst for not just retro game prices but modern game prices to.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:00 am

Spirit of AHB wrote:i always find sometimes thats its cheeper to buy old games in the wild then it is on ebay for the stuff that i want but i just get this feeling that gamers are getting a bit fed up of prices for modern and retro games i mean some are just not worth the money people and shops are asking for and well for people like me i just dont really buy or play games anymore and eventually one day the bubble will burst for not just retro game prices but modern game prices to.
" They've " been saying that since July 84 - Sabre Wulf !!!! £9.95 - never gonna catch on :lol:
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:22 am

Well I guess if people keep buying then they obviously don't mind, and if people don't mind the price ain't going down anytime soon.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:32 am

personally, i've switched to only buying the odd bundle off of facebook groups, or picking up from charity shops and boot sales. i can't be doing with ebay prices, i'm not that big a collector. :D