The price of retro

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

The price of retro

Post by Megamixer » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:07 am

Okay, I know we've had this debate before but...

Is retro gaming just too ridiculously expensive if you want to play on the original machines?
Is there too much of a business being made of selling old games?
How does this make you feel when the one game you're after is changing hands for crazy prices?
Are collectors willing to throw any amount of money at something warping the market for everybody?

I noticed the ad on the back of Retro Gamer from 'Chillout Games'. These were the prices that they would pay for these games...

Mortal Kombat Trilogy (Saturn) - £37.29
N64 Console - £25.89
Castlevania III (NES) - £84.88
Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64) - £75.36
Pokemon Crystal (GBC) - £18.58
Megaman X4 (PS1) - £42.04
Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems (SNES) - £78.22
Masters of Combat (Master System) - £65.35
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (Gamecube) - £47.54
E.T (Atari 2600) - £23.33 (!!!!!!!)
Death and Return of Superman (Mega Drive) - £99.78

I'm not sure I'd even want to KNOW what prices they knock these games out for but somebody must be paying the prices because Chillout have been around for a while now and seem to be going strong.

Do adverts like this just add fuel to the overpriced retro gaming market?

Again, sorry if this has been done to death but these ever-increasing prices have been blowing my mind recently and for the first time, I'm genuinely considering EverDrive's. I mean, I really want to play the Mega Drive Probotector/Contra but I don't want to spend most of my week's disposable income on one bloody game! (to name one example).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Grizzly

Re: The price of retro

Post by Grizzly » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:27 am

I blame a combination of things really but chief among them are people who have no idea on values getting in the mix; Ebay buy it now prices, newspaper articles and car boot programmes which get the odd good find. More people are after these games as well now, collecting is a far more acceptable hobby than it used to be and there is good money in it now.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:21 am

It's not expensive providing you want to play and not collect.

Since prices are relatively steady, or on the increase, you can usually buy a game (even an expensive one), play it to death, then sell it on for little or no loss.

Or you can go the Everdrive route, using real hardware to play downloads. A relatively small initial outlay for the one flash cart and you're done.

There are too many optimistic ebay sellers putting silly prices on things though, which does impact prices long term, since other clueless people then follow suit asking over the odds for things that don't sell at that price. It reduces the circulation of sensibly priced items. Just because you can put a high BIN on something doesn't make it worth that.

As for the 'proper' retailers, usually you're paying a premium price as they've sourced quality items, so you don't end up with something that's had a hard life and shows it.

There's something to be said for it though. The sustained high pricing does mean people are more likely to try and sell rather than chucking stuff in the bin, so it helps maintain the availability of things.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:29 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Or you can go the Everdrive route, using real hardware to play downloads. A relatively small initial outlay for the one flash cart and you're done.
Yeah, definitely looking into this. I mean, I will always take a real cart over a rom but I have to say that I rarely go back to 16bit and previous retro gaming these days but whenever I want to, the prices of games I want to play just put me off. I suppose I'd be more inclined to pursue the real deal if I'd played it beforehand on a EverDrive and really enjoyed it.

I know what you're saying about re-selling and not losing money but it's about having the money to buy the game in the first place isn't it?

Looking at Probotector on the Mega Drive on ebay, complete copies are listed for £80-£90, a loose cart for £64.99 and repros for about £30. Ignoring the repros (I don't 'do' them unless it's an unreleased game), I find it hard to justify dropping £80-£90 on a game in the first place even if I could re-sell it for the same. There are no current auctions either so no chance to try and get one for a sensible price.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:32 am

the problem is people with more money than sense, they GOTTA OWN EM ALL so pay stupid prices for games so make the price go up

Somebody did an experiment in price driving
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:03 pm

DPrinny wrote:Somebody did an experiment in price driving
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:06 pm

IFORGOTTHELINK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKHk5U8tmfw

My eyes are old and bent
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Or you can go the Everdrive route, using real hardware to play downloads. A relatively small initial outlay for the one flash cart and you're done.

Totally. They are reliable, convenient and they provide the EXACT same experience in gaming. Its for those that are somewhat dubious about using emulators for accuracy purposes (particularly on consoles like the N64 where games aren't as easily emulated perfectly).

Of course there is still some romance and nostalgia attached to owning the cartridge itself, with the instruction manual and box....but if you put sentiment to one side, Everdrive Carts do the main business of 100% replicating the in-game experience and on the very cheap.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:31 pm

I admit that Everdrives are the best way to play retro

Unless you get lucky and buy those expensive games on the cheap

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:43 pm

DPrinny wrote:I admit that Everdrives are the best way to play retro

How dare you post something so sensible and not include some sort of picture or visual gag. You've changed....

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:47 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
DPrinny wrote:I admit that Everdrives are the best way to play retro

How dare you post something so sensible and not include some sort of picture or visual gag. You've changed....

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:53 pm

Yay! :)

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:03 pm

It does seem that the prices of old consoles and games have shot up in the last 10 years or so. I remember seeing boxed NES games like Donkey Kong and TMNT 2 in Gamestation for about £5 each in about 2007, and umming and ahhing about it before finally making the purchase. These days my eyes would pop out of my head if I ever saw boxed classic games at that price. I put an unboxed NES Double Dragon 3 cart on eBay the other day and was shocked when it ended up going for over £10. It didn't cost me that, isn't a great game, and basically isn't worth that much, but it seems people will pay it. I remember when I bought a lot of my retro consoles around 7 or 8 years ago I thought they were getting expensive, and they've probably doubled in price since then.

I find it's not a big issue for me personally these days, as I only buy games I will play, am not too fussed about them being CIB, and I have so many games that I'm never desperate to track down a game I don't own. I only buy retro games if the price is right, meaning I don't buy a lot of them these days.

It must be offputting to newbies who want to play the old games on the original hardware but can't afford to. When I got back into retro gaming years ago a big reason was because it was so affordable.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

rupert

Post by rupert » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:58 pm

I'm not sure I would enjoy collecting the same if I started now. The prices have gone crazy since I started about 10 years back. Also it is rare I see anything of interest outside the internet, it really takes the fun out of it for me (collecting specifically I mean). I used to enjoy getting bargains, there is no pleasure for me in clicking buy it now on top end priced item.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:24 pm

Bought all my computers and consoles nearly ten years ago for chuff all, would 't want to start now. E.g bought a Sega Saturn for £1 at a car boot and a Megadrive for £2. Still paid too much but still! wink wink