MAME - what do you use?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

RichL

Re: MAME - what do you use?

Post by RichL » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:38 pm

Nice thank you.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:00 am

I've got MAME32 0.90u1 with 596 working ROMS, there are more on the disk but around 200ish are the wrong version for this release.

I do still have an old P1 machine with MAME on it somewhere. I have no idea how old the version is on that one, don't know if it has been switched on since around the millennium!
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:50 am

I was on 0.120 for years but then heard about HLSL so upgraded to 0.151. HLSL was totally worth the upgrade. Games now look like I remember them when played on an LCD.
"1984 was not intended to be a guide"
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings"

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:45 pm

So is there a 'best' version of MAME?
Or a newer version that plays most of the diferent version ROMS?

I seem to remember having a 'modified' non-standard/hacked version of MAME years ago that was supposed to be enhanced to play games better, and play more versions or something :?
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

TheVision

Post by TheVision » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:04 pm

The last "latest" version of MAME that I downloaded had a ton of fruit machines on there, and I mean a ton! It was really disappointing scrolling through the list of games as there was so many of them.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:20 am

I find android mame less of a struggle than pc mame, I spend more time setting up than playing.
Scott me up beamie!

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:48 pm

Old thread but I downloaded MAME again recently looking to get the latest version. One thing though, the interface now is really clunky. It looks like it is designed for cabinets. I prefer the classic old look where you got a lot more detail on the front end.

On new MAME's frontend you can see 12 titles at any time on the list before scrolling. It used to be a lot more, along with info like publishers, number of times played, year etc etc. Does anyone know if that style of MAME still exists? It used to rotate the extra art too (marquees, flyers etc).

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:05 am

Is it not still possible to use your own front end so it looks however you want? They always used to maintain a command line entry point so that would work.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:02 pm

I was always really rubbish at downloading MAME and roms, living in concern of downloading something from a dodgy source and having to deal with viruses etc. so the version I have is pretty ancient now.

Any recommendations on decent controllers to use with MAME on a PC? I did have an official USB Sega Saturn pad until it broke and haven't really used much of MAME until ever since then. Was considering a wired 360 pad as I assumed they'd be of good quality. The PC I use for MAME is Win XP btw if that makes any difference.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:44 pm

i use RetroPi and an Original Xbox with CoinOps 8

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:14 am

On my laptop, I use a piece of software called MAMEUIFX64 - its nothing glamourous in terms of frontend presentation, but does a solid job. Can't remember the Romset i downloaded, but it was fairly large, and contains 10,500 games (including many clones and regional dupes) - MAMEUIFX colour codes and tags other details to each rom (genre, year, times played etc), so you know which games will run, or not, and you can filter out whatever you need.

I also have an Xbox with Coinops 8 which obviously has an old version of MAME included in that, and other arcade emulating software. Its a bit hit and miss though compared with the modern PC MAME releases. Pretty solid for anything in the 1980s (although can drop frames sadly on the big sprite scaling games), but gets patchy after that, where as MAMEUIFX on much stronger PC hardware keeps framerates accurately. Sadly even Neo Geo games don't always run perfectly on Xbox :? Its user interface is pretty though.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:03 pm

I just download ready made images for the raspberry pi. They have all the games set up with slick frontends

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:03 am

I use WolfMame (built around v106) it was the only version that Twin Galaxies sanctioned for use in submitting highscores.

Although it has been a long time since i've done that and it may have changed.

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:35 pm

Scratch_Porkings wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:20 am
I find android mame less of a struggle than pc mame, I spend more time setting up than playing.
I've not used PC mame for years for this reason. The Windows one (MameUI I believe it was called) was great but it doesn't seem to exist anymore. For PC I mainly use Retroarch now, most games I play work with the FBA cores and for the ones that don't it supports mame also.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

Back in Time Sime

Post by Back in Time Sime » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:08 am

Is a shame that MAME is such a bum to get working, I must have around three complete ROM sets though really I only want to play maybe 50 games... RetroPi needs mutliple sets to get the 50 working as some only play on some versions... Still love MAME though, but when I first tried it when GnG first was added it was all my dreams come true.
Check out my weekly YouTube retro game show - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjX19c ... uvebRWBoxw