MAME - what do you use?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

stvd

MAME - what do you use?

Post by stvd » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:10 pm

As in version and romset?

I've had the same version - Mame32 for years.
Yesterday I came across a video talking about the same thing.
Anyway (I realised later that it was an old video!!!!) they were showing MameUI 64bit and the corresponding romset which you can download from archive.org - It was version. 149.

Anyway after downloading 43Gb!!!!!!

I booted it up and after audit it showed over 28,000 games.
I realise there will be thousands of clones etc. But when I clicked the "available" tab that number shrunk to just over 8,000 titles. Still more games than I'll ever play but 40+ GB.

Ever game I tried that was newer seemed to be the same fruit machine simulator. :?

ianpmarks

Re: MAME - what do you use?

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:20 pm

I think it is something like 0.37b5 or similar - actually could be anything... I don't understand MAME Rom versions... very old anyway Mame32 stuff.
I have about 6,000 odd ROMS working.

The trouble is my version of MAME doesn't run on Windows 7/10 and my ROMS don't work on MAME's for Windows 7/10 or even OS X. I therefore have an Windows XP laptop that I keep up exclusively for MAME game playing. Not too bad, but I wish my ROMS worked with modern MAME versions. I can't be bothered to download newer ones, and struggle to find working ROMS. Really want Indiana Jones TOD for Mame OS X but every ROM I've tried (and I've tried a lot) is not compatible... so back to my XP laptop I go.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:58 pm

Either 0.125 or 0.132...I can't remember. I use it on an old XP laptop and I have the games I want working on there so I've not ever thought about upgrading it. Pretty sure I deleted all of the roms I didn't want to make it easier to use as well.

Got about 3 old versions of MAME + Roms on various CD-R's in case I need to run something a bit older.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:38 pm

0.138 - the first "complete" romset I found with a decent GUI bundled in for good measure. Never seen any reason to update it, there's more than enough choice as it is.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:44 pm

MAME32 0.106

Running mame.exe from that directory shows v0.99 (Aug 6 2005)

I think that was the version before they ruined it. I don't know if they ever fixed t again, but I remember people saying they took out high score saving, and other things, so I never changed from using that. I have got a later one, but I only use it when this version won't run the game I want to play. I've only used it a couple of times for league games.

I just download games when I want them, so I don't have a "ROM set".
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:59 pm

I thought if Dl'd Mame with its corresponding romset everything would be flawless.
But no. Still thousands of non-working roms. :?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:35 am

stvd wrote:I thought if Dl'd Mame with its corresponding romset everything would be flawless.
But no. Still thousands of non-working roms. :?
What you've basically got is one set of people working on dumping the ROMs from arcade machines and another on the MAME software itself. The former group are well ahead of the latter, so every ROMset will contain some games that aren't yet fully compatible and vary from slightly broken to totally unplayable. They're basically in there so that the developers can work on them, it being a community project after all.

And while the progress is generally towards more games being playable, there'll always be a few that stop working either because of bugs introduced to the code or more accurate ROM dumps replacing previously fudged versions and, again, with it being a community project these aren't always picked up until well into the beta testing. The bottom line being that you shouldn't ever uninstall an old version of MAME until you're sure that all the games you want to play with the new version still work. Practically every device I've got with MAME on it has a slightly different one for that reason.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:23 pm

Def have one of the older ones, before they took out the high score saving and stuff. Problem I always found was that the website was never the most user friendly, was never sure exactly which file I was meant to download and install.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:49 pm

I have a 102 ROM set but usually run 133 (mame32).

Now I have a new PC it's something I might upgrade.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:02 pm

Well stay away from that 43GB download. :D

Seriously though, I was surprised the roms were available on archive.org
You can look through and DL individual roms too.

davyK

Post by davyK » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:59 pm

Have a very old version but got a complete matching ROMset for it. It covers all the classic era games I want. Supports hiscore.dat too. I feel that's a pretty important feature that was dropped in subsequent versions for some reason. Don't have it installed at present though - always intended to get a dedicated PC for it.

I do have a build of shmupMAME installed with several ROMS for that. Play a bit of DoDonPachi with that.

David

Post by David » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:20 pm

coinops 7 on a modded Xbox

love it

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:10 pm

David wrote:coinops 7 on a modded Xbox

love it
I'm still on version 3.

It plays everything I want to play (I think) and I thought coinops just wouldn't work unless you had the correct romset.
Always put me off updating it.

RichL

Post by RichL » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:53 pm

Can anyone recommend one for the PSP if one exists?

Obvs got CFW on it.

Thanks.

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:25 pm

PSP MAME4ALL

I think that's it!
Not great compatibility but it plays the classics ie old stuff!!
And MVSPSP for NeoGeo.