Rare Replay

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

gman72

Re: Rare Replay

Post by gman72 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:50 am

The Beans wrote:
The Replay compilation is great (Jetforce and Blast Corps justify the prkce on their own for me) but there's a lot of stuff on it I'm just not interested in. At least most of the 8-bit games will get a few plays. Spare a thought for Battletoads, Killer Instinct and Perfect Dark Zero. If it wasn't for Achievements I wouldn't even start them up. :lol:
If they'd have told me they were re-releasing Jet Force Gemini for the price of Rare Replay I probably would have bought it to be honest. :lol:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:56 am

learnedrobb wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:
learnedrobb wrote: The problem is, you have to take into account that these "clunky, awkward" games are often the product of the limitations enforced on the coders at the time. Due to this you have to take when they were made into account. Whether consciously or not, you have set a line in the sand for what constitutes the era when games stopped being "clunky and awkward".

I'm a massive film buff. Some of the early "classics" of cinema, especially from the silent era and early sound period are incredibly clunky and awkward by contemporary standards. Doesn't mean I dismiss them. I take into account the limitations of the time and apply that to my experience. Same with retro games.

But why should I, why should I forgive, for example, a clunky controlling Nes games when thye are many Nes games that control brilliantly showing that it can be done.
So we should only enjoy games where everything is "perfect" then? I can watch films made at the same time as each other, yet both can have different levels of technical proficiency, and both can be equally enjoyable. Same goes for games. You have to contextualise these things. If you don't, you are only applying the "here and now", without any perspective at all.
No,not every game has to be perfect. Tell me where I said that.

As for context, no.I don't have to do that, I either like it or don't. I like many many older films and games, and not once do I sit there and think that I have top take in to account when they were made, so why on earth would I do it to games and films made at the same time that I don't like.

Knowing when they were made, and the limitations on them do not suddenly and magically make me enjoy them, all it does is make excuses for playing a game I don't like. Why on earth would I do something stupid like that.

I

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:03 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
learnedrobb wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:
But why should I, why should I forgive, for example, a clunky controlling Nes games when thye are many Nes games that control brilliantly showing that it can be done.
So we should only enjoy games where everything is "perfect" then? I can watch films made at the same time as each other, yet both can have different levels of technical proficiency, and both can be equally enjoyable. Same goes for games. You have to contextualise these things. If you don't, you are only applying the "here and now", without any perspective at all.

As for context, no.I don't have to do that, I either like it or don't. I like many many older films and games, and not once do I sit there and think that I have top take in to account when they were made, so why on earth would I do it to games and films made at the same time that I don't like.

Knowing when they were made, and the limitations on them do not suddenly and magically make me enjoy them, all it does is make excuses for playing a game I don't like. Why on earth would I do something stupid like that.

I
But on a subconscious level when watching films you are applying context. If it is in black and white, you are accepting that as part of the film based on when it was made or it being a deliberate choice by the film maker (which is putting it in context). If it is silent, you are accepting that as part of when it was made or a deliberate choice (again, putting it in context). You will accept the quality of the effects based on when the film was made (context).

Yet with games you are consciously ignoring something like the limitations of the time (which is the context of the games place in history) and dismissing it if it doesn't meet your personal limits.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:15 am

It really doesn't matter, you either enjoy said game or you don't, I was lucky enough to be a gamer back when the likes of Sabre Wulf, Knight Lore etc were released. Back then they were the Uncharted,Halo games of that generation. They were the pinnacle of game design, presentation,etc, I loved them then and I love them now. However it doesn't change the fact that they are very primitive with some bordering on unplayable by today's standards.
I completely get why some people don't like them, just play and enjoy what you like but don't expect others to be in e same mindset as yourself.
For me the Rare Replay offers the best selection of games covering several generations of gaming, from the moment I boot it up I have a grin on my face, it's full of nostalgia, game design never seen before, genre defining games with mind numbing frustration to boot. it is gaming bliss pure and simple.
"Time fades even legend..."

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:23 am

learnedrobb wrote: Yet with games you are consciously ignoring something like the limitations of the time (which is the context of the games place in history) and dismissing it if it doesn't meet your personal limits.
Yes indeed. That's exactly what I do. You trying to tell me there's something wrong with this then, or just stating the obvious?
It's down to personal choice. For everyone. Context is what you make it. If the retro apologists don't like it then it's really hard cheese I'm afraid. I play games for enjoyment not for some sort of historical perspective on the past.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:36 am

learnedrobb wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:
learnedrobb wrote:

I
But on a subconscious level when watching films you are applying context. If it is in black and white, you are accepting that as part of the film based on when it was made or it being a deliberate choice by the film maker (which is putting it in context). If it is silent, you are accepting that as part of when it was made or a deliberate choice (again, putting it in context). You will accept the quality of the effects based on when the film was made (context).

Yet with games you are consciously ignoring something like the limitations of the time (which is the context of the games place in history) and dismissing it if it doesn't meet your personal limits.

Thats fine, If I am already doing it then any game I don't like is already after I have added context then. So if I don't like it, then I don't like it.

I don't get what you are trying to get at. First you are accusing me of not adding context and not taking into account when the games were made.

Then you tell me I am doing it anyway without realising it, if I am, then why tell me I need to do it. it makes no sense.
Last edited by RodimusPrime on Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:39 am

The Beans wrote:
learnedrobb wrote: Yet with games you are consciously ignoring something like the limitations of the time (which is the context of the games place in history) and dismissing it if it doesn't meet your personal limits.
Yes indeed. That's exactly what I do. You trying to tell me there's something wrong with this then, or just stating the obvious?
It's down to personal choice. For everyone. Context is what you make it. If the retro apologists don't like it then it's really hard cheese I'm afraid. I play games for enjoyment not for some sort of historical perspective on the past.
There's nowt wrong with it. The reason our forefathers fought in the world wars was so we could live in a free democracy and enjoy our games when and how we wish. :wink:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:43 am

ZXSabreman wrote:It really doesn't matter, you either enjoy said game or you don't, I was lucky enough to be a gamer back when the likes of Sabre Wulf, Knight Lore etc were released. Back then they were the Uncharted,Halo games of that generation. They were the pinnacle of game design, presentation,etc, I loved them then and I love them now. However it doesn't change the fact that they are very primitive with some bordering on unplayable by today's standards.
I completely get why some people don't like them, just play and enjoy what you like but don't expect others to be in e same mindset as yourself.
For me the Rare Replay offers the best selection of games covering several generations of gaming, from the moment I boot it up I have a grin on my face, it's full of nostalgia, game design never seen before, genre defining games with mind numbing frustration to boot. it is gaming bliss pure and simple.
Agree with this totally. I can very much see both sides here. Beans can enjoy his games under any criteria he wishes, but there is no denying that Sabrewulf, Underworld and Night Lore were the wow games of their day and sported graphical and gameplay innovations that wowed millions of us.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:37 pm

learnedrobb wrote: But on a subconscious level when watching films you are applying context. If it is in black and white, you are accepting that as part of the film based on when it was made or it being a deliberate choice by the film maker (which is putting it in context). If it is silent, you are accepting that as part of when it was made or a deliberate choice (again, putting it in context). You will accept the quality of the effects based on when the film was made (context).

To Kill A Mockingbird is a classic, whether you find a dog-eared paperback in a charity shop or download it to your eReader.

Citizen Kane is a classic, whether you watch it on a black & white portable or in your personal cinema with surround sound.

Jet Pac is a classic, whether you wait for it load on a ZX Spectrum or boot up your Xbox One, wait for it to run half a dozen updates and then download Rare Replay.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

sidney

Post by sidney » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:56 pm

So now there is a reason to buy an Xbox One!! :D

Skrunch

Post by Skrunch » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:37 pm

Definitely a must buy whenever I get around to picking up an Xbox One later on this year.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:07 pm

merman wrote: Jet Pac is a classic, whether you wait for it load on a ZX Spectrum or boot up your Xbox One, wait for it to run half a dozen updates and then download Rare Replay.

Genuine lol :lol:

Merman has written the wittiest and most sensible post in this thread. Some of the stuff on the last 3 pages :roll:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:00 pm

merman wrote:
learnedrobb wrote: But on a subconscious level when watching films you are applying context. If it is in black and white, you are accepting that as part of the film based on when it was made or it being a deliberate choice by the film maker (which is putting it in context). If it is silent, you are accepting that as part of when it was made or a deliberate choice (again, putting it in context). You will accept the quality of the effects based on when the film was made (context).

To Kill A Mockingbird is a classic, whether you find a dog-eared paperback in a charity shop or download it to your eReader.

Citizen Kane is a classic, whether you watch it on a black & white portable or in your personal cinema with surround sound.

Jet Pac is a classic, whether you wait for it load on a ZX Spectrum or boot up your Xbox One, wait for it to run half a dozen updates and then download Rare Replay.
There it is, ladies and gents... debate sorted. :D

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:07 am

gman72 wrote:
merman wrote:

There it is, ladies and gents... debate sorted. :D
Not even close but that was YESTERDAY. Today I intend to ruffle the wizardy beards of the retro contingent by dissing Lunar Jetman!

Just kidding.

Although playing said game this morning has me wishing Rare had given other Ultimate games the same sort of modern update they gave Jetpac. It's also got me beansing for a go on Fantasy Software's The Pyramid for some reason. Think it might have been on the same C90.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:52 am

I can remember The Pyramid - great, little game. I'm sure the original artwork in the magazines of the day featured box-art or screen shots from a supposed sequel but I don't think it ever saw the light of day.

Also, when I was playing The Pyramid I was also playing Xadom by Quicksilva... weird game that one.