Rare Replay

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ZXSabreman

Rare Replay

Post by ZXSabreman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:22 am

Easily the best £19.99 I have ever spent in my thirty odd years of gaming, I have just spent two hours going through a small snippet off the thirty games on offer. They are all as good as I remember them, one grip I have is how sensitive the aiming is in Jet Force Gemini plus it has no option to tweak it, any one else playing this ?
"Time fades even legend..."

AceGrace

Re: Rare Replay

Post by AceGrace » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:18 am

Mine hasn't arrived yet but Rare have said that they are going to issue a patch for the Jet Force Gemini controls.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:41 am

Christ, I really don't wanna wait till payday... Gonna have to sell something. Echo Night Beyond (From Software) PS2 I reckon, that fetches a pretty penny on the bay.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:21 am

Mine came this morning. off work today but promised my little girl I would take her out.

Plan is to get her knackered so she goes to sleep early, then pay for the GF and her sister to go for a nice meal and a couple of drinks :D

then order a pizza, grab a couple of beers, then play it all night.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:12 am

Well I've been playing since this morning! The one thought that springs to mind is...

F!CK BATTLETOADS.

Jesus christ this game is nails! I made it about half-way through the speeder bikes legit, twice. I then resorted to using the rewind function, which got me as far as a racing level against a rat that, for all intents and purposes, is impossible. Argh!

I'm now making my way through Conker's Bad Fur Day - excellent stuff!

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:26 am

Still waiting for mine...

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:11 am

Mine is out for delivery, at some point I'll pick up an Xbox One to play it on.
Splink!

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:14 am

I might pick this up just in-case they stop printing it for whatever reason (Limited time only, whatever excuse) and it goes for an insane amount on ebay, even though I have no idea when I'll be picking up an XBONE.... XD
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:21 am

I had a look at a video which gave a snippet of each game on the disc. I'm glad I watched it tbh.

The 80's titles no longer hold any appeal to me and would just annoy.

The 90’s stuff is better but wouldn't hold my attention for long enough.

The later titles look great but wouldn't begin to tempt me away from destiny, bloodborne etc.

Watching the video convinced me to give this a miss for now - and I was really tempted. I can see why it appeals to so many though. Battle toads arcade looks excellent.

Eat your nans pants

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:53 am

Rayne wrote:Well I've been playing since this morning! The one thought that springs to mind is...

F!CK BATTLETOADS.

Jesus christ this game is nails! I made it about half-way through the speeder bikes legit, twice. I then resorted to using the rewind function, which got me as far as a racing level against a rat that, for all intents and purposes, is impossible. Argh!

I'm now making my way through Conker's Bad Fur Day - excellent stuff!
Yeah, Battletoads was designed by the devil, there's no other reason for it. I've made it just past the tower climb level. I'm good for the first two levels, most of the third level but then the game decides you'll need to be able to see into the future in order to win - case in point are the later parts of the turbo tube stage where obstacles fly at you so fast that its almost impossible to dodge them, same section but the platforming bits on the vehicle are so dodgy that it feels like a lottery as to if you'll actually manage to land correctly or die... Then there is the lava volcano section which is far for the most part, then you start dodging lasers, again fairly fair. Then the lasers start to appear so censored fast that it becomes impossible to dodge them unless your on the far right of the screen and know exactly where they appear before time, I was floored at how that seemed like fair design at all. Then the snake level, yeah that's just random bollocks. Then the fight at the top of the tower - why bother giving you a health bar if you just die in one attack? I actually do like a lot about the game, the varied levels, graphics and concept of gameplay are all ace, but that difficulty level is too high even for me, I'll need to basically memorise the entire game to be able to clear it. Which I actually do intend on trying :lol:

I'm not a fan of Sabrewolf either. Mainly down to the terrible combat. Having enemies appear from off screen and kill you sucks. Not being able to attack above or below sucks to. It looks wonderful, but those gameplay issues kind of kill it for me.

The rewind feature in the game (mapped handily to left trigger) is genius. It makes it way more fun (and in Battletoads case, possible) to enjoy certain games more. Clearly I need to spend more time with many of the games to build up my skill, I never started playing Rare games until the N64 period so I'm incredibly rusty on anything prior. I'm absolutely loving Jetpack and Lunar Jetman though, those games were so well designed at the time. Challenging but fair at the same time.

Well worth the £15 I paid, I'll get hours and hours out of the older games before I even start replaying Blast Corps!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:56 am

So far I've been staying away from the N64 stuff as I know that'll be a REAL time-sink. Battletoads Arcade is excellent fun but I find myself weirdly addicted to Jetpac. I didn't expect to enjoy the Spectrum stuff but this game is really addictive! Built the ship three times before losing all my lives, I'll see if I can push it further next time.

I tried Lunar Jetman (I think it's called?) and that game was just...evil. Unless I'm not understanding the mechanics it seems to involve flying slowly in screens full of enemies that are faster than you, running out fuel then dying.

Edit: Totally agree Shadowman! The rewind feature is brilliant, that's allowed me to get to the rat racing level. Disarming the third bomb however, I've been retrying for about an hour and a half and I'm still falling short.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:15 pm

This could push me towards an xbone at Xmas - looks great - and a mix of stuff I have & haven't played
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:27 pm

Mine turned up today really looking forward to playing it
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:48 pm

Didn't know about the rewind feature, that's gonna help with some of the games as is the save feature. I just love how the whole package has been put together, I also love with the 8bit stuff how you can switch it to how it would have looked on a crt back in the day.
This is a must buy for any Retro gaming lover, especially those that loved and grown up with The company from the start, the jEt Pac Reloaded remake is as addictive as games get its fantastic.
"Time fades even legend..."

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:01 pm

Picked my copy up from game this afternoon traded in gta v (360 ) as I have the xb1 version and guardians of the galaxy bluray.Girl behind the counter said £8 trade in.So got my phone out as they promise to beat cex on trade in.Ended up paying £1.99 so that was nice. Will give it a bash later.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink: