Retron 2 advice

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

sidney

Retron 2 advice

Post by sidney » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:35 pm

Evening all. I am on a family holiday to the good ol' US of A from the UK and saw a Retron 2 at a retro game store, the price was too good to resist so I went ahead and bought it plus a nice haul of NES and SNES games. I set it up at my in-laws house and it works superbly and I am really enjoying it. The advice required is -- When I get it back to the UK will I need to buy a step down converter for it or will I need to merely plug a universal adaptor into it? I certainly do not want to risk frying it!!

I know I am fine on the TV compatibility stakes as all my TV's are NTSC compatible so there are no worries there. The other query I have is-- Are these devices PAL compatible (as in will my PAL games work on it)? The latter is not a deal breaker as I have a nice little collection of NTSC classics already for it. Any advice and pointers regarding this machine and it's usage in the UK would be much appreciated.

theantmeister

Re: Retron 2 advice

Post by theantmeister » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:48 am

I would just make sure the voltage and polarity match on the universal AC adaptor. You'll probably find a Megadrive 1 PSU works with it - it works with most things :D

As for compatibility with PAL games - maybe the Retron's emulation is smart enough to detect PAL games and run them at the right speed? I've been told that with real hardware some PAL NES games don't run properly on NTSC hardware (the timing is all wrong).

sidney

Re: Retron 2 advice

Post by sidney » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:36 am

Cheers for the response mate, I will check that. :D