terrible games that you like

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

sidney

Re: terrible games that you like

Post by sidney » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:11 pm

Looking back on some Zzap and Crash reviews you get to see how harshly some decent games were treated. Wonderboy on the 64 is as good as it could possibly be and all in one load too, not sure what they were expecting really but it's playable and responsive and compares well to the Master System version and is a great conversion.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:49 pm

Wonderboy for C64 might have been good a couple of years earlier, but to ask a whole ten quid for what is an average conversion of an average game in 1987 was too much. Zzap scored it only marginally lower than all the other mags, who fairly universally got it right by saying it was no more than ok. If you like the original, you may like the C64 version, but there's not much to it and there's far better to spend the money on. In the same issue of Zzap, we have Head Over Heels, Defender of the Crown, Thing Bounces Back, Stifflip & Co and The Last Ninja for example. 50-60% was about right, it's very average.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

sidney

Post by sidney » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:13 pm

They are indeed fine games and well worthy of their high marks, as a fan of Wonderboy in the arcades though I always felt that the C64 version was a good conversion of the game when I played it at my mates house, in fairness to Zzap I did see their review a little later (early 90's) as a back issue, I bought Wonderboy on it's Hit Squad re-release for 2.99 (got my C64 in 89)and it still gets a run out from time to time, I guess it's all about opinion and it's horses for courses at the end of the day I suppose.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:43 am

Treguard wrote: I played the Amstrad version of Addams Family on emulation last night. It's cack. Love the Amiga one though.
I love that game. I parted ways with my Amstrad donkeys years ago so now only enjoy it through emulation, and this is a game I always go back to.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

davyK

Post by davyK » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:26 pm

Bart vs The Space mutants on NES. Despite the cruel difficulty, absence of save/password support and dodgy jumping I loved it. Completed it too.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:37 pm

davyK wrote:Bart vs The Space mutants on NES. Despite the cruel difficulty, absence of save/password support and dodgy jumping I loved it. Completed it too.
Same here. It had that "something" going for it. :wink:

David

Post by David » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:32 pm

davyK wrote:Bart vs The Space mutants on NES. Despite the cruel difficulty, absence of save/password support and dodgy jumping I loved it. Completed it too.
yes!!!!

remember getting.to the funfair level as a kid, can hardly control the bloody thing now, have had almost every version of it though

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:42 pm

Fable 3 - the worst menu system and character interactions I've ever seen, a final level that comes out of nowhere, pointless co-op, endless loading screens. far less customisation than Fable 2, magic stupidly overpowered...........and I still played it through several times and earned every achievement

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:59 pm

sidney wrote:They are indeed fine games and well worthy of their high marks, as a fan of Wonderboy in the arcades though I always felt that the C64 version was a good conversion of the game when I played it at my mates house, in fairness to Zzap I did see their review a little later (early 90's) as a back issue, I bought Wonderboy on it's Hit Squad re-release for 2.99 (got my C64 in 89)and it still gets a run out from time to time, I guess it's all about opinion and it's horses for courses at the end of the day I suppose.
The C64 Wonderboy was one of my favourite C64 games but I'm a big fan of the arcade game.. Good conversion but missing a few enemies like the sword fish and those hooded monks that came behind you from stage 4.. I remember Commodore User giving it 7 out of 10.. Just dug my Zzap magazine out with the original review and they gave it 52% overall.. 'Steve Jarrett said "Powerhouse Wonderboy rip off 'The Equaliser' was easily as playable as Wonderboy and only £2 and Jazza said "Wonderboy looks very similar to its arcade counterpart but when it comes to gameplay - far far too easy to finish"

Still got my C64 tapes of Wonderboy and Equaliser and I loaded Equaliser up a few weeks back, total Wonderboy rip off right down to the sprite but far harder then Wonderboy.. Don't think I ever got past stage 5
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:33 am

Puma Street Soccer on the PS1, terrible footy game with bad controls and sound but the 3 on 3, NBA Jam style gameplay really entertains me.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:43 am

Resident Evil 6... ... ... there... I've said it. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:05 pm

gman72 wrote:Resident Evil 6... ... ... there... I've said it. :D

I thought RE5 was nowhere near as bad as people said

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:11 am

The Bouncer On PS2, it was too short and had a few small annoyances but I liked it. Was basically a launch title if I remember correctly and did its job of showing off the new Dualshocks analogue buttons perfectly well. I completed it through several times to get all the endings so must've liked it, yet I've never heard or read a decent review of it. Another of those games where if they'd just worked on a similar sequel that ironed out any problems, you'd have had a great next gen Streets of Rage.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:34 am

Frost Byte (Speccy) - God I loved this as a kid. I was off sick from school with chicken pox for what seemed like months. Frost Byte kept me going! Insanely difficult though.

Steve Gerrard's Total Soccer (GBA) - universally derided Sensi/KO2 clone. I still play it now. It's one of my most ever played games!

Chris Kamara's Street Soccer (PS1) - supposedly a football game! More like basketball. Loved it!

Are people slating the Addams Family that appeared on the Snes? I always thought that was a minor classic. Difficult, mind.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:16 am

greenberet79 wrote:Steve Gerrard's Total Soccer (GBA) - universally derided Sensi/KO2 clone. I still play it now. It's one of my most ever played games!
Not a bad shout, Bert.

I've played the hell out of Total Soccer too. It was similar to Total Soccer on the PS1 (it was a Net Yaroze indie game) but felt very suited to the GBA. Speed kills on that game though. Long pass into space, striker slams it in from 25 yards.