terrible games that you like

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Treguard

Re: terrible games that you like

Post by Treguard » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:49 am

Ferret Oxide wrote:
The Laird wrote:Addams Family was actually another platformer I liked, I had the ST version.
Same here, although I had the Amiga version. Even today I think it's a decent game.

The Dynasty Warriors series tends to get a lot of flack, and picks up some low review scores from some sources, but I still love it.
I played the Amstrad version of Addams Family on emulation last night. It's cack. Love the Amiga one though.

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:04 am

Wow, I didn't realise there were more people out there who thought Addams Family was generally average or better. Pretty much everyone I know thought it was rubbish!
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:40 pm

I only recall the demo level of Adams Family on an AA cover tape.... and it being 128k only.
Going Solo...................

jimmyjimjim

Post by jimmyjimjim » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:11 pm

Circus Maximus: Chariot Wars on the PS2 is a game I return to time and time again, but I don't think it was very highly thought of when it was originally released. It's like Road Rash on chariots.

I also like the Dynasty Warriors games too

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:53 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Analog wrote:I think this could fall into the category of "so bad it's good"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ5h9foGi24

it's just so unashamedly cheesy, low budget and badly shot. if it were a film ,it would probably fall into the category of bad exploitation films (I like some of those too).
Ah, I love those crappy old FMV games. I used to have Drug Wars for the 3DO but the lightgun I had was naff and didn't work. Shame as I'd have genuinely liked to play it.

Corpse Killer is another one with cutscenes and FMV that are so awful and nonsensical that the game is amazing.

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties - Another FMV acid trip that I'd like to play but can't (sold my 3DO plus the game is really rare anyway).
Same here I love the FMV games just bought a Mega CD which came with Night Trap and Willy Beamish always wanted to play Night Trap.. Another brilliant FMV game was Psychic Detective on the PS1 and 3DO, I also got Who Shot Johnny Rock and Space Pirates from Poundland really cheesy Blake 7 gun game.. That's why I got the CDI for the fmv game but the controls and timing make them pretty unplayable I also have to folders of pirated 3DO games like Brain dead, Pyramid Attack and NighT Trap..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:02 pm

Not awful games as I think here brilliant but most people hate them are

D PS1/3DO not very much control and the only action sequence was when that Suit of Armour comes to life.. Laura couldn't die only if time expired or if she walked towards her father in the ending, and once you knew the solution you could bomb through it but me and my friend would play it solidly taking it in turns to complete it

Zelda Wand of Gamelon CDi I'm playing this at the moment now my CDI finally has a working Time Keeper battery, the cut scene's are really cheesey and look like they where done in Paint Shop pro but I really like it no doubt I'm the only person who does..

Commodore 16 Pharaoh's Tomb this got a slagging off in Commodore User but I thought it looked amazing.. Sixteen plus gave me his copy a few years back so I finally got to play it.. Easy to finish and a rubbish text ending then game resets but I used to play until the plus 4 broke
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

leefishuk

Post by leefishuk » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:01 am

I knew I wasn't alone with Adidas Power Soccer!

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:41 am

i enjoyed The Cursed Crusade quite a lot on Xbox360

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:58 pm

leefishuk wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Adidas Power Soccer is a great game, misunderstood by the masses who wanted a serious footy game.
... is the correct answer I have been using for 17 years or so
Fantastic game. I remember my mate showing it to me on a demo disk and and I fell in love with it. When I bought a playstation a few months later and it was bundled in was a joyous occasion! Hammering a shot at the keeper, him catching it and doing "the wobble" and then falling into the goal with the ball still raises a smile.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:13 pm

Star Wars Masters of Teras Kasi... loved that game, even though it was god awful. I only ever played as Han Solo or Darth Vader though.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:13 am

Shinobi wrote:Not awful games as I think here brilliant but most people hate them are

D PS1/3DO not very much control and the only action sequence was when that Suit of Armour comes to life.. Laura couldn't die only if time expired or if she walked towards her father in the ending, and once you knew the solution you could bomb through it but me and my friend would play it solidly taking it in turns to complete it

Zelda Wand of Gamelon CDi I'm playing this at the moment now my CDI finally has a working Time Keeper battery, the cut scene's are really cheesey and look like they where done in Paint Shop pro but I really like it no doubt I'm the only person who does..

Commodore 16 Pharaoh's Tomb this got a slagging off in Commodore User but I thought it looked amazing.. Sixteen plus gave me his copy a few years back so I finally got to play it.. Easy to finish and a rubbish text ending then game resets but I used to play until the plus 4 broke
Ah, Wand of Gamelon. The cut scenes were outsourced to some Russian company who had never done anything like it before, and the controls are awful, and result in a lot of unfair deaths. That said, it can be completed in about ten minutes if you know what you're doing.

sidney

Post by sidney » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:50 pm

Home Alone on the SNES was universally panned but I love it! Tomb of Syrinx was an obscure Spectrum budget game from the mid 80's that I felt sorry for because it was battered by every magazine except Sinclair User (didn't care about SU anyway) I saw it - bought it- saw it's shortcomings but somehow I still enjoy it. Push (jerky) scrolling!!!

sidney

Post by sidney » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:55 pm

ncf1 wrote:Wonderboy on the C64 got a bad Zzap rap, something like 47% but I thought it was absolutely worthy of at least 90 - 92% and still do. I still don't understand to this day why it got hammered as it did, that was just plain cruel.

Absolutely spot on! I love this in the Arcade and on the Master System, I bought the C64 version because despite Zzap's review it looked good. They were wrong- Wonderboy is awesome on the C64, everything is where it should be. What were Zzap on that day???? A great under valued conversion.

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:22 pm

ncf1 wrote:Wonderboy on the C64 got a bad Zzap rap, something like 47% but I thought it was absolutely worthy of at least 90 - 92% and still do. I still don't understand to this day why it got hammered as it did, that was just plain cruel.
I love this version of Wonderboy too.

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:23 pm

Edd The Duck - Commodore 64 game, not the best game but very entertaining.