terrible games that you like

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

David

terrible games that you like

Post by David » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:04 pm

just ordered showdown legends of wrestling for xbox.

it's terrible, and was universally slated upon release. but I love it.

the roster the atmosphere and the graphics make up for it for me. i can even ignore the terrible glitches (choose ultimate warriors third costume and he runs out with NO FACE!!)

what games do you like that are widely recognized as being rubbish?

RodimusPrime

Re: terrible games that you like

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:19 pm

Too Human

I loved this, and had a lot of fun with it.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:22 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Too Human

I loved this, and had a lot of fun with it.
This. I still think the story had so much potential.

Also, Two Worlds and Sacred 2. I know they're rubbish, with terrible voice acting, ropey animation and shallow combat. But there's something about them that I really enjoy. I guess it's the gaming equivalent of watching a straight to DVD movie.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:28 pm

Death By Degrees (PS2) - love the analogue stick-controlled combat and x-ray moves plus the weird action/survival horror feel. The critics hated this game but I enjoyed completing it.

Tattoo Assassins - Dreadful but always a laugh in MAME.

The Onechanbara games - each one fails to deliver on the awesome premise but it doesn't stop me buying the next one :oops: . Played all three PS2 games and the Wii version...the PS3 import of Z Kagura is on the my shelf to be played next!

Sensible Soccer 2006 (PS2) - everyone seems to hate it but I can spend hours on it thanks to the insane goals that are possible and custom team mode.

Rumble Roses (PS2) - er...'nuff said.

Dead or Alive Paradise (PSP) - see above.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:38 pm

Cod black ops 2.Not a terrible game at all its ace but most people say all cod gods are crap becauae thats the in thing to say.blops 2 especially the multiplayer is magnificent.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:48 pm

Generally it's pretty hard, since things such as bad controls or unfair difficulty means a game isn't fun to play

Resident Evil 5 - it's as scary as an episode of Scooby Doo, the plot is ridiculous even by RE standards yet I still enjoyed playing it through twice

Bullet Witch - crap controls, rubbish graphics, annoying bosses, yet there is a certain charm to it and manages to create a bleak atmosphere pretty well

Rumble Roses XX - just because of the, erm, technical aspects of wrestling

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:02 pm

Rule of Rose. Its got terrible combat but the setting, characters and story are really decent. I only recently played it through but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the game.
aztecca wrote:Cod black ops 2.Not a terrible game at all its ace but most people say all cod gods are crap becauae thats the in thing to say.blops 2 especially the multiplayer is magnificent.
I loved the single player mode on this game, the extra RTS style levels were ace and the game had some really decent set pieces. Really wish my disk still works...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:09 pm

I like a lot of bad games. For example Mortal Kombat on SNES (censored, bad control, tonned down visuals compared to Arcade original but I still like it), Wolfenstein 3D on SNES (same deal), Doom on SNES (doesn't hold a candle to DOS original but I like it), Street Fighter: The Movie (so bad it's almost good), Rise of the Robots (super jerky control and dull gameplay but I like the robots beating the crap out of themselves), Primal Rage (super unbalanced and simplistic fighting game but it has cool dinosaurs in it), Trespasser (arm simulator without equal), etc.

Generally speaking, I can play almost every game, except if it has anime girls with huge eyes or is a CoD clone. :wink:

Infact I rather play even crappy old games than to bother with the vast majority of modern, high production games with movie-like presentation.

David

Post by David » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:18 pm

was playing some tattoo assassins before work today.

cracks me up when the wee baldy guy in what looks like a nappy keeps smiling and bowing

it's just awful but awfully brilliant

magazine feature PLEASE

David

Post by David » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:20 pm

Fever Pitch Soccer is another one

the free kicks in it are outstanding

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:28 pm

Bloodrayne 2
Bullet Witch
Dead or Alive: Xtreme Volleyball
Oneechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad
Pink Pong
X-Blades

Basically anything 'mostly' playable with hot chicks :lol:

I also have a love for obscure/quirky titles like Deadly Premonition, etc...

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:39 pm

Rayne wrote: I also have a love for obscure/quirky titles like Deadly Premonition, etc...
I was going to post Deadly Premonition and also agree with Two Worlds, Too Human, Sacred 2 and Resi 5 and then throw Earth Defense Force 2017 into the mix.

But you know what? They're not terrible games. They just aren't. They're frickin' GREAT games. As far as I know I've never played a truly terrible game and liked it. Unless you count crap arcade ports on the 8-bits. Which would be cruel.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:06 pm

I've never had a problem with the first two Bubsy Bobcat games - the first one's usually the first thing I play every time I get a new device that does emulation, it's a classic!

Primal Rage, I prefer that to Street Fighter II - mostly because I can't stand 2D beat-em-ups, this one at least is fun to look at.

Road Avenger, can't get enough of that. First Mega CD game I ever played, still get a thrill from it now.

Earnest Evans, looks and controls WEIRD. There's a solid platformer hiding in there somewhere.

X-Treme Express: World Grand Prix, that train racing game on PS2. It's the only game I can bring myself to play whenever I plug the machine in.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:46 pm

Jedi power battles on the dreamcast. Loved playing multiplayer with who turned out to be my future brother in law at the time.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:31 am

David wrote:Fever Pitch Soccer is another one

the free kicks in it are outstanding
Easiest way to score in the Jag version - I specifically play for them cos I know that if I get one anywhere in my own half, I've got a chance.

I'll avoid the ones I usually mention when a topic like this crops up, especially as Primal Rage has already been said twice (erm, make that thrice).

In that case, then:
Cruis'n USA - despite the strangely flat graphics, handling that can be charitably described as "twitchy" and some of the absolute worst music ever committed to a game there's something that draws me back to it.

Chaos Control - can be completed in 20 minutes, has aged horribly and I don't even have a lightgun to play it.