Bomb Jack

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:01 pm

Oddly enough, the C64 version is pretty good if you reduce the sprites to non expand-o-sprites. There was a POKE in Zzap! to do this way back when.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:04 pm

ahh didn't realise that, i thought it was only the commando loader that had the "living on video" copy by David Whittaker.

Anyway, played the c64 version once, it was awful!!! Haven't played the speccy version but it surely must be better than the c64 version. Not only were the graphics crap, it didn't even play like the arcade original (e.g. you couldn't fly over the baddies at the start of a level like you could in the arcade version). It takes a lot for me to say that any c64 version stinks as I'm a huge commodore fan - still regularly use my trusty old c64.

The original arcade game however is absolutely excellent, def in my top 10 arcade games. My high score is around 900,000.
c64 > spectrum 48k

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:07 pm

pottyboy wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that the C64 version is the best? I've been playing the C64 version since I was a little nipper and loved it because it was challenging. When I finally got round to playing the Speccy and Arcade versions a few years ago I was actually quite disappointed. The smaller sprites and fewer baddies on screen made the game way too easy, and I got bored of them too quickly. Plus I loved the Jean Michel Jarre soundtrack from the C64 version. Gimme the C64 version anyday!
~I would imagine if you were weaned on the C64 version from a young age , you wouldn't find the game as appealing on the Speccy - you're just used to playing that version. Ok the sound is far superior on the C64 , and arguably the graphics (althought they are far better defined on the Speccy) - but the Speccy plays far better
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:17 am

Elspuddy wrote:but bomb jack did have living on video as the loading music

*makes a run for the door*
I had no idea that was a rip off, I always assumed it was an original composition. 26 years later I discover the source, having missed all its rereleases and remixes :oops:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h1fYhuM8AA
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:34 pm

Rip off or not, it was a chirpy little tune that added to the fun factor.

The next thing you lot will be saying is that the Speccy version of Commando was better that the C64!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:40 pm

er :shock: , no I won't bite.

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:10 pm

Ha ha, no you won't, but someone will!

Hail to Commando on the C64! Three of the greatest levels of gaming ever!

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:36 pm

I can't believe some people are having a go at the Speccy version of Bombjack. This is a fantastic conversion, it looks right, it plays right and I still play it occasionally even now. The C64 had some great games but Bombjack wasn't one of them!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:19 am

fredghostmaster wrote:I can't believe some people are having a go at the Speccy version of Bombjack. This is a fantastic conversion, it looks right, it plays right and I still play it occasionally even now. The C64 had some great games but Bombjack wasn't one of them!
WHAT! Someone has slagged off Speccy Bombjack? Show me where and I'll delete the post :lol:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:05 am

1500graham wrote:Ha ha, no you won't, but someone will!

Hail to Commando on the C64! Three of the greatest levels of gaming ever!
Yep Commando is excellent on the C64 but the Speccy version is also a great one

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:00 am

CraigGrannell wrote:Oddly enough, the C64 version is pretty good if you reduce the sprites to non expand-o-sprites. There was a POKE in Zzap! to do this way back when.
Can you Poke the games on emulators?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:04 am

The Last Ginja wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:Oddly enough, the C64 version is pretty good if you reduce the sprites to non expand-o-sprites. There was a POKE in Zzap! to do this way back when.
Yes.

In some ways its easier, because you can freeze the game and mess around in memory then go straight back to the game without all this saving and loading nonsense, just like if you had a debug cart plugged in.

You can do it the traditional way if you want though.

Many pokes required you to short out two pins on the expansion port on the C64 to reset the system. That's what the 'soft reset' option in emus do.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:13 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
The Last Ginja wrote:
Yes.

In some ways its easier, because you can freeze the game and mess around in memory then go straight back to the game without all this saving and loading nonsense, just like if you had a debug cart plugged in.

You can do it the traditional way if you want though.

Many pokes required you to short out two pins on the expansion port on the C64 to reset the system. That's what the 'soft reset' option in emus do.
Cool. I used to short out my C64 using the lead on my datasette until I got a Freeze Frame!! Firing up Bombjack now.

Found these sites:

http://www.ilmatar.net/~np/c64cheats.html

http://www.gamewinners.com/C64/index.html

but can't find the Poke yet, I'll keep looking but if anyone has it to hand that would be great!!!

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:55 am

Defenetly get 'the real thing' on MAME, the origonal and by far the best!

Although the specie version was a good effort, but still not a real option when you can play the 'propper' version on MAME!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:58 am

Has anyone done this and saved a snapshot so the rest of us can try it?