Bomb Jack

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Morkin

Bomb Jack

Post by Morkin » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:42 am

Do we have any Bomb Jack fans here ? I was just reading an old GTM & saw that Bomb Jack was in a Clash of the Titans feature, so I decided to have a go. Big mistake. I am now absolutely rubbish at it ! :shock: I'm sure I was good at it once upon a time.

What other versions are people playing ? What's the MAME version like in comparison ?

cheeky_muffin

Post by cheeky_muffin » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:14 am

I use to play Bomb Jack a lot with a mate back in a day. I use to do really well at it and would progress far without losing a life and also get the bombs in sequence to get the bonuses.

These days, I'm lucky to get of the first screen without losing the majority of my lives! I prefered the original Bomb Jack. How many versions was there?, I know it made itself to Bomb Jack II.

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:04 am

Weird, I was just whizzing around the Spectrum version of BombJack, it's my favourite version aside from the arcade - the MAME one is great too. BJ2 is bloody awful, but the originnal is superb. I don't do too badly these days, usually get a few screens in before I realise I'm down to 1 life. :wink:

merman

Post by merman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:19 am

The C64 version of Bomb Jack 1 & 2 were pretty awful. Mighty Bombjack is much better on the C64.

I'm not a great fan of the games though. Definitely one that was designed to rob players of many coins back in the day...

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:36 pm

The MAME version is great - As Merman said, avoid the C64 conversion - the Graphics are way too big. The Speccy version is actually better.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:46 pm

Hmmm - although BombJack 2 on the c64 was a pile of poo, I quite enjoyed the first one!

Am I the only one that thought it was pretty good????

sparky

Post by sparky » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:58 pm

I loved playing Bombjack on the C64, it was and still is one of my favourite games. I've seen a few mentioned the gameplay, but I never had an issue with it.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:03 pm

Hooray for Sparky!

Graphics were not that bad - and the Ben D music was ace!

Think I Might have a go later.

Anyone else think the C64 version was good?

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:32 pm

Yep C64 version IS that bad!!!

I've been playing it on Tecmo classics on Xbox, and I had the thought of comparing the 2, Jack feels like he takes up half the screen and controls badly.

Gonna fire up Speccy and Amstrad emulators to check them out, Impressions here later......

On a related note most of Elite C64 Arcade conversions were awful, I'm looking at you Space Harrier and Commando(except the music). The only one of any note was the sublime Buggy Boy.[/b]

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:37 pm

The Last Ginja wrote: On a related note most of Elite C64 Arcade conversions were awful, I'm looking at you Space Harrier and Commando(except the music). The only one of any note was the sublime Buggy Boy.[/b]
I agree about Buggy Boy - Its an excellent game and I first played it on a demo tape (think it was free with C&VG?) and loved it from the off.

Ikari Warriors was another good Elite arcade conversion - Commando was pretty good, in my opinion. Space Harrier was very porr but the arcade game relied on the hydraulic movement to make the game special.

andy vaisey

Re:

Post by andy vaisey » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:41 pm

LeeT wrote:
The Last Ginja wrote: On a related note most of Elite C64 Arcade conversions were awful, I'm looking at you Space Harrier and Commando(except the music). The only one of any note was the sublime Buggy Boy.[/b]
I agree about Buggy Boy...Ikari Warriors was another good Elite arcade conversion.
Totally agree! Ikari Warriors I really enjoyed, but Buggy Boy was in a different class to everything else! An absolute classic. I remember going on a mega search of local shops because it was hard to find for some reason; but boy was it worth it! Great 3D effect at a time when people reckoned the C64 couldn't do racers very well. 8)

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:42 pm

Forgot about Ikari Warriors! And Ghosts n Goblins!!! I'm a muppet.

Commando had 2 or 3 levels missing, and seriously bad flickery sprites. That and I had to use my big toe on the space bar to launch grenades!!

I love Space Harrier, play it on the Saturn, along with Outrun and Afterburner,on the Sega Ages compilation.(another awful C64 conversion, not sure who published that).

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:45 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:
I love Space Harrier, play it on the Saturn, along with Outrun and Afterburner,on the Sega Ages compilation.(another awful C64 conversion, not sure who published that).
Activision published Afterburner - Terrible!

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:23 pm

I regularly play the MSX homebrew version of Bomb Jack that Martyn Carrol gave me (Thanks Mart) and it's a hoot. I love the floaty controls: it makes playing a skillful art. This homebrew version is actually better than the one on Tecmo Classics too as it has the proper Beatles music in it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:30 pm

I may make myself unpopular now, but I thought Bomb Jack was gash on the C64. Speccy version was miles better...