Bomb Jack

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:02 pm

Well, I've just played the C64 version of Bombjack and then the Spectrum version.

I don't know what to say really, without upsetting people...

C64 version: Fun to play; difficulty just right; graphics good (and colourful); good music.

Spectrum: Extremely easy (and boring because of it); horrible monochome graphics; slow and jerky/flickery; no sound at all (maybe the emulator wasn't working properly - I used zx32 from the RG CD).

I usually avoid posting anything about the Spectrum as I really don't understand why people like it so much and if I say how I feel about a game I sometimes start a flame war, which is the last thing I want.

Sorry Spectrum fans. I'm just being honest. Feel free to hate the C64 version :)

I might try the CPC version now. I am a C64 fan, but if I like the CPC version better I will admit it. I've never used an Amstrad ever, so I don't really know what to expect.

[EDIT]

Just had a go on the CPC version. It's better than the Spectrum, but is even easier! I had one go and got a score of 119080 (I don't know how many levels, but it was a LOT!). Sound wasn't very good (and no music). Graphics weren't as good as the C64.

I have to say I like the C64 better by a long way. Maybe it is a bit too hard, but I don't get bored playing it like I did with the other two.

Maybe I'm strange...

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:57 pm

No! You are not strange necronom.
The C64 version is bloody good. I've been playing it also - and had a go on the speccy version. Not tried Amstrads attempt yet.

Game looks and feels iffy on the speccy - I'll stick with the C64 version I think.

This is a really great idea - discuss one game - play it on the systems it came out on and then have your say.

I like this - maybe it could carry on?

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:31 am

I think I'll try it on MAME tonight and the Amiga (I think it's called Mighty Bombjack, but I don't know what the difference is) and see how they compare. I have a feeling that when I tried it on MAME, I was slightly disappointed. I think the music was different or worse than on the C64. The game itself is probably much better though. I'll post my findings later...

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:48 am

Crikey - the speccy version, to me at least, is bloody great!! Nothing iffy about it, good use of sounds and FANTASTIC use of colour! The monochrome sprites just don't detract from the experience at all and are full of character! All IMO of course.

I agree that it's a GOOD thing we don't al agree every time, and I also think this is a great idea - to take a well-loved/loathed game and play it on different platforms to see what we think of it now that we're able to remove the rose-tints and judge each version on its merits.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:53 am

necronom wrote:I think it's called Mighty Bombjack, but I don't know what the difference is
The difference is that Mighty Bomb Jack is a different game, much like OutRun and Turbo OutRun are different games.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:04 am

good use of sounds
It seems that the sound wasn't working on the emulator then.

One thing about the Speccy version is that about every 20 seconds a "P" would appear, so if I was having a problem getting to a few bombs, I'd just wait a few seconds, get a "P", then finish the level.

Mighty Bomb Jack is a different game
Ahh. So no Amiga version of the original Bombjack.

This thread, and people's opinions, sort-of links in with the "Did you have to be there?" thread. This proves that if you were there, you see games in a totally different light. I find it hard to play Spectrum games, but other people prefer them. It all depends on what you had at the time.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:32 am

necronom wrote:Ahh. So no Amiga version of the original Bombjack.
Uh, as I said earlier, there was a home conversion of Bomb Jack for the Amiga. It's a ropey Atari ST port. A version of Mighty Bomb Jack was also released.
It all depends on what you had at the time.
To some extent, that's true, but I've discovered versions of certain games on platforms other than those I used to own that I much prefer these days.

cheeky_muffin

Post by cheeky_muffin » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:33 pm

Well there was version for the Commodore 16/Plus 4 computer. Only a screenshot though guys, the game is probably hiding elsewhere in the supergalaxy known as the internet lol

Bomb Jack from Plus/4 World

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:39 pm

Uh, as I said earlier, there was a home conversion of Bomb Jack for the Amiga.
Sorry. I thought you must have been talking about Mighty Bombjack. I did a quick search in Google and it kept mentioning that version, so I assumed that was the one.

I've just had a go of the Amiga one. The music is horrible, the graphics are average, but the game is too hard. It runs much too fast (I had WinUAE set to A500 speeds, so it should be correct) and it's just not fun. And did I mention the music is bad?

The Arcade version: Bad music (but not as bad as the Amiga one), but the rest of it is good. I think this is the best one. If it had the C64's music it would be spot on :)

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:15 pm

necronom wrote:The Arcade version: Bad music (but not as bad as the Amiga one), but the rest of it is good. I think this is the best one. If it had the C64's music it would be spot on :)
Well, you could always stick track 2 of Jarre's Magnetic Fields on repeat while you play it.

Ghostbiscuit

Post by Ghostbiscuit » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:21 am

This explains everything: Bombjack was one of those games I really wanted to like, but couldn't get into it because it was too hard. But I've only ever played it on the C64. Maybe I should have shot of some of the other versions...

Puzzle Rattrap

Post by Puzzle Rattrap » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:54 pm

I'm still waiting for the compilation of Bomb Jack games for the GBA - Elite said they were doing one, and IGN had screenshots, but years later nothing has emerged.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:43 pm

And there I was, thinking Bomb Jack was a nice game on the C= 64. Didn't know what I was missing out I guess.
Never was much for the music in Bombo though.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:16 pm

Puzzle Rattrap wrote:I'm still waiting for the compilation of Bomb Jack games for the GBA - Elite said they were doing one, and IGN had screenshots, but years later nothing has emerged.
On the plus side, someone's just released the CPC version as a homebrew effort for the GBA!

roberthazelby

Post by roberthazelby » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:39 pm

The Amiga version of Bombjack is hideous.

I bought this after loving the Speccy version, and thinking that the Amiga version would be stunning. How wrong I was.

The controls are terrible, and the music is really repetitive. For some reason, instead of converting the in-game tunes from the arcade Elite decided to have one of the high-score ditties playing all through the game. Whilst it was a nice tune for the scoreboard, it was VERY annoying to have it playing all the way through the game.

I've not played the Amstrad version of BJ, but from comparing the Spectrum, Amiga and C64 versions of the game against my arcade PCB I find the Speccy version plays most like the arcade original.