Digital Distribution

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

How do you feel about Digital Distribution?

I'm mostly Digital
25%
I'm about 50/50
16%
I'm mostly physical
59%

Total votes: 32

Negative Creep

Re: Digital Distribution

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:02 pm

They're a fiver because a lot of stores are competing against eachother in a free market economy, which drives prices down and benefits us. Problem with XBL or PSN is that they're captive markets, so if you want something that's digital only you have to pay what they demand or go without

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:19 pm

Negative Creep wrote:They're a fiver because a lot of stores are competing against eachother in a free market economy, which drives prices down and benefits us. Problem with XBL or PSN is that they're captive markets, so if you want something that's digital only you have to pay what they demand or go without
That's not true at all. The customer generally dictates the price in all markets. The digital market is no different to this, otherwise games really would stay at £59.99 for all eternity. It would be commercial suicide since such a strategy ignores all the potential customers who can't, or won't, buy at that initial price. Prices will usually come down as demand tails off. The difference is that with digital there's no acceleration to this process from the pre-owned market and the constant need for physical product space.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:52 pm

Negative Creep wrote:They're a fiver because a lot of stores are competing against eachother in a free market economy, which drives prices down and benefits us. Problem with XBL or PSN is that they're captive markets, so if you want something that's digital only you have to pay what they demand or go without
No, they're a fiver because someone's dumping stock. Games have a very short shelf life, so this is pretty common, but when was the last time you saw a new game with an RRP of £40 or more being sold for a fiver though? Never, I'd expect. Competition between stores can, at best, drive prices down about 20% below the RRP, but even at that it's a loss leader for the purposes of getting people in to perhaps buy more profitable items.

Online stores might have a lower marginal cost, that allows bargain basement prices to go even lower, but the need to make as much money as possible from first sales remains.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:23 am

I just bought WWE 2K15 with ALL the DLC for the PC for £17.00, discounted to £14.00. Don't know if it's even available retail, but the same package on a console would cost a heck of a lot more. I'd never,ever, buy a game at full retail price digitally, (I'd never pay full retail price for a physical game though either to be fair...) but at that price, what's not to like? Point is, you can get bargains on physical games, you can get bargains on digital games. Just don't buy at launch.

JohnnyBgood

Post by JohnnyBgood » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:04 am

I'm a gamer since i was a kid, and I had different consoles through generations. Now I live with smartphones, tablets, and a PC too strong to put some classics. Digital distribution helped me very much to get back good ols classics like Metal Slugs, Raiden or even Pong!

So I'm glad they do it. I can also learn retrogaming to kids with their devices so I think it could be important to bring Retrogaming trough our current technology.

One day there will be less and less retrogaming console, so how can we keep all retrogaming with us? With emulators and ports through ou tech.

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:26 am

I'm in a position where I want the Ratchet & Clank HD Trilogy and all the physical copies I can find online are well over £20. I can get it digitally on PSN for 19.99 and that is also cross buy so I can take it away on Vita as well.

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:15 am

I've not bought a (non-retro) physical game for several years. Steam, Humble, Google Play and XBLIG have got most of my game spend. XBLIG not so much in the last couple of years though.

I love digital distribution because it gives smaller companies and independent developers more of an opportunity to release their product - physical releases may not be feasible for them. There's still marketing to deal with, and sure, there's a lot of dross, but that's what reviews are for :) The positives outweigh the negatives for me.

The low price and bundle deals really sell digital distribution for me. There's so much choice that I've not felt even remotely interested in buying any triple-A/blockbuster games for a long, long time.

jindofox

Post by jindofox » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:33 pm

Digital all the way whenever possible for me.

Physical media seems so wasteful, and I hate the clutter. Old ROM cartridges that only hold 500K in a blob of plastic are the worst, nostalgia be damned. Fragile, spinning optical discs are insane as well.

If I could transmute my GBA, DS, and 3DS cartridges into legal downloads I'd gladly do it. Storage is cheap and I am happy to pay the digital asking price for games if it supports artists and publishers.

Someone mentioned the "PSP Go fiasco" and I must disagree, I love that little system because it's all digital. Spinning UMD media was noisy, fragile, and slow, and as soon as the Go came out, I dumped all my silly little discs and never looked back.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:51 pm

I have tons of digital games mainly due to PS+ and to a lesser extent XB gold, I have bought lots of bargains too, particularly PS3 downloads with some games being only a couple of quid. I know I can upgrade hard drives on Playstation easily hit still think it was mean to old start with 500GB.

I'm sure twenty years ago hearing people moan about only 500gb would be a bit shocking I guess