New Amigas?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:56 am

Meh.

What's the attraction with the Amiga OS anyway? I never liked it, found it very unintuitive and cumbersome.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:24 am

Will they be compatible with the Amiga 1011 3.5" External...oh never mind

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:28 am

Well it's still really just someone who bought the name.

But you won't really be able to use any of the "real" amiga software much better than a PC can. Just the pitiful range of PowerPC stuff.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:45 pm

Dudley wrote:Well it's still really just someone who bought the name.

But you won't really be able to use any of the "real" amiga software much better than a PC can. Just the pitiful range of PowerPC stuff.
OS4 is 'supposed to' provide built in 680x0 emulation, enabling (rather limited) support for legacy applications. Games will probably not work at all, but Workbench friendly apps are supposed to work without too much hassle - but from what I've heard from people who have the 'Developer Pre-Relase OS4', it doesn't work quite like it was expected to - in other words, it don't work at all!!!

I quite like the idea of having a 'new' Amiga (well actually it's based on AmigaOne hardware - PPC processors, PC style mobo's etc) but it's a miracle if you can actually get the hardware :evil:

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:30 am

To be honest the time has passed. WinUAE is going to run those legacy apps just fine, probably better. And we all know it'll do the games.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:12 am

Dudley wrote:To be honest the time has passed. WinUAE is going to run those legacy apps just fine, probably better. And we all know it'll do the games.
That's a very good comment - we are all happy with WinUAE's functinality and therefore require nothing newer to make it more of a pain to play our beloved games!!!

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:37 am

woody.cool wrote:
Dudley wrote:To be honest the time has passed. WinUAE is going to run those legacy apps just fine, probably better. And we all know it'll do the games.
That's a very good comment - we are all happy with WinUAE's functinality and therefore require nothing newer to make it more of a pain to play our beloved games!!!
Either that or we still have an '030-based A1200 around the house... =-)

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:49 pm

Sadly I don't think it will get released. This is the millionth relaunch of the old Amiga! :( I would be tempted to buy one as well. The company is probrably making a mistake going for PowerPC chips nowadays, especialy now that Apple has gone Intel and with boot camp as well. Maybe if it was Intel based and with Workbench adapted for PC use as well, they might have something. Workbench was a brillant OS (long filenames, the GUI, and Shell were good, nice and logical as well, if you need new commands put them in the c directory, if you needed new libraries put them in the lib directory!).

I was thinking of getting an old Amiga from Ebay. I was going to use it for web browsing (I suppose it can be done on it), although I would need wireless on it and the web browser.

I still use WinUAE now and again (hell I completed Lotus on it, something I couldn't do on my A500).

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:51 pm

TMR wrote:
woody.cool wrote:
Either that or we still have an '030-based A1200 around the house... =-)
Or like me you have several Amigas around the house - including and '030 based A1200 :D
Katzkatz wrote:I was thinking of getting an old Amiga from Ebay. I was going to use it for web browsing (I suppose it can be done on it), although I would need wireless on it and the web browser.
It's easily possible - I often browse (& reply) to threads on this forum when browsing on my beloved Amiga 1200 tower kit.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:58 pm

Can you do wireless networking on your A1200.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:12 pm

Katzkatz wrote:Can you do wireless networking on your A1200.
It is possible - but I connect the old fasioned way, with a big f*ck off network cable.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:59 pm

Good to see that the Amiga still lives on that way. I just watched The Last Day of the Commodore factory on YouTube.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:31 am

Katzkatz wrote:Good to see that the Amiga still lives on that way. I just watched The Last Day of the Commodore factory on YouTube.
I have that on DVD - it's on the Amiga Forever DVDs.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:51 pm

Have your read On The Edge : The Spectular Rise and Fall of Commodore? I am getting the book soon.