New Amigas?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

emkay

Post by emkay » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:11 pm

Didn't the real AMIGA die with an 68040 plus Amiga OS 3.1?
For real : It died almost earlier :wink:

I'd say that the AMIGA 4000 was already the protagonist to it's own funeral.
I really liked the AMIGA and I still have my A2000, But I never was happy with the Hardware updates and the even faster jump to faster Hardware and updates OSes by the coders.
It was also annoying to have a full working 1.3Kick Amiga with a 50MB Harddisk and 9MB Ram. Well, nothing worked again after Kick 2.x was released. Even for a simple depacker you needed Kick 2.0 Same with Kick 3.x.

This trend caused the OCS/ECS Machines not to be supported by a fair point and splitted the Machine into two opposing parts.
In theory you need 2 AMIGAs (one ECS one AGA) to play/use the Variety of available software.
Actually, while the ATARI ST still was down compatible, many people kept the machine and coded on it, even if there were faster machines like the Falcon.
This caused that the Atari ST has a well playing Wolfenstein 3D while you only see some interesting 3D on the AMIGA only, if you have an AGA machine with a 68030 at least...

The only and clever way, was to stop following the AMIGA line after 1993 and turn to the PC where the compatibilty was 3-5 years given.

And "things" like AMIGAONE or PEGASOS are really no AMIGAs anymore... not to talk about the todays releases...

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:48 pm

I think Commodore found themself in trouble about 1990 I would guess. They should have developed the A1200 earlier, and it should have got a '030 in it, by the time it was released the PC had caught up with the graphics and perhaps overtaken it with the sound (Soundblaster 16 was available), you could see the great games available for the PC X-wing, Sam and Max, Tie Fighter. Suddenly the Amiga didn't have the USP that it had, even in video Mac had started to take some of there share. From then on it was difficult for the Amiga to keep up, and the people wanted to be able to do their spreadsheets, and word processor at home and having a PC at home just made good sense. Ahh I miss the Amiga :( . The OCS/ECS incompatibilty might have upset some people (there were some workarounds like Rom booters), but it will happen on any platform MAC at least 3 times (moving from 68K to PowerPC, BSD core, then to Intel) and the PC at least twice (moving Windows 95, moving to XP). Commodore probrably could have prepared better, maybe done what Mac done and emulators or the ROM swappers in place. Also the CDTV was a waste of space, and the A600 wasn't worth doing as well. In workbench they had a good operating system (it multitask in about 250K, try getting a MAc or PC to do that!), and quite logicaly laid out as well.

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:34 pm

emkay wrote: In theory you need 2 AMIGAs (one ECS one AGA) to play/use the Variety of available software.
No you don't, if you have a hard drive use this - http://www.whdload.de

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:38 pm

Graham Humphrey wrote:
emkay wrote: In theory you need 2 AMIGAs (one ECS one AGA) to play/use the Variety of available software.
No you don't, if you have a hard drive use this - http://www.whdload.de
Even if you don't have a HD - you only need some degrader software !!! You'll get 99% of games working with a degrader and soft-kicker.

blakespot

Post by blakespot » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:37 am

Katzkatz wrote:Have your read On The Edge : The Spectular Rise and Fall of Commodore? I am getting the book soon.
It's an excellent read. I highly recommend it.

blakespot
:: Retro game list for iPhone & iPod touch at Touch Arcade
:: Byte Cellar - the vintage computing weblog

blakespot

Post by blakespot » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:38 am

TMR wrote:
woody.cool wrote:
Dudley wrote:To be honest the time has passed. WinUAE is going to run those legacy apps just fine, probably better. And we all know it'll do the games.
That's a very good comment - we are all happy with WinUAE's functinality and therefore require nothing newer to make it more of a pain to play our beloved games!!!
Either that or we still have an '030-based A1200 around the house... =-)
Or an '060-based A1200... :-)

blakespot
:: Retro game list for iPhone & iPod touch at Touch Arcade
:: Byte Cellar - the vintage computing weblog

Gryzor

Post by Gryzor » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:15 am

blakespot wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:Have your read On The Edge : The Spectular Rise and Fall of Commodore? I am getting the book soon.
It's an excellent read. I highly recommend it.

blakespot
I second that, even though I was not an Amiga/commie user back then. Very interesting read, a bit slanted I guess, but it's not often that you get such insight in a company... Interesting from several POVs: Commodore fan, computer history buff, business administration student.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:23 pm

Have you read On The Edge? I have started reading it just now, haven't got up to the Amiga bits yet!

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:15 am

As has been mentioned this is the 4.7millionth time a new Amiga has been announced. One only needs to browse through the posts at Amiga.org relating to this subject to get a feeling of the scepticism and downright dislike of Amiga Inc at the moment (with them dragging every man, and indeed his dog, through the US legal system at the moment). OS4 (which was being developed by Hyperion) could have been great but Amiga have decided to take their ball home.

Amiga.org has a wonderful (and rather heartbreaking if your an Amiga fanatic like me) list of all the Amiga related vapourware which has been announced over the last 10 years or so.

The announce Amigas are merely grey boxes with off the shelf mobo's with an Amiga OS shoved in.

What it boils down to is we may see a new Amiga, but don't hold your breath (no, seriously don't).

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:59 pm

:(

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:40 am

DrBlue wrote:
What it boils down to is we may see a new Amiga, but don't hold your breath (no, seriously don't).
With a name like Dr.Blue, you must have experience in dealing with patients who continously hold their breath for new Amigas. Can I ask for an appointment, cos I'm still waiting but keep on passing out as I too am always hopeful of this actually happening.

KoderKo

Post by KoderKo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:55 am

"On The Edge: The Rise and Fall of Commodore" is highly recommended by me as well, although it skips a bit fast in the end, I think.

I'd like to hear more about Mehdi Ali's incompetent management, but it would probably be too painful.

The clip "Last day on the Commodore factory" is taken from the movie "The Deathbed Vigil", which can be watched in its entirety here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0661768793 (please note: sobbing and spontanous bursts of tears might occur!)
KoderKo
Stuck in the time when pastel colours were king!

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:47 pm

Ok thanks for the link. I am still reading it, it is a great read.

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:27 pm

sleeper77 wrote:
DrBlue wrote:
With a name like Dr.Blue, you must have experience in dealing with patients who continously hold their breath for new Amigas. Can I ask for an appointment, cos I'm still waiting but keep on passing out as I too am always hopeful of this actually happening.
As am I. As are lots of people. But Amiga.Inc is really all over the place, they claim to be setting new standards in cross-platform development environments. Yet the only things they've actually produced are a bunch of mobile phone games.

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:00 pm

I gave up around 2002/2003. There was just no point any more. Amiga Inc were as clueless as any company I've ever come across and the rest were motivated by ego and dogma rather than practicalities (which led to the stupid but eminently predictable state of having an operating system but no hardware to sell it for!). With people like these in control any hope of an Amiga revival was dead and buried.

Now I no longer see the point. Even if one or more of the companies involved got their act together, what they have is so outdated and offers so little that only the hardcore faithful could possibly be interested. I am no longer one of them.