Does anyone replay games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sephiroth81

Re: Does anyone replay games?

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:21 pm

As many others have said, I do if the game has that addictive kind of gameplay, and really depends on the game. Retro games more so, especially Speedball 2 and Mario Kart (SNES) are two of my most played games ever, and still play them to this day. Street Fighter 2 can be included in that as well!

Modern games like Gears of War series, I played through once, probably won't play through again, even if I enjoyed them. Forza though....yes! Even the older Forza games!

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:39 pm

Scratch_Porkings wrote:I replay games constantly, I also re-read books and re-watch my favorite films. Everyone does right?
My feeling too, if I own a game it means I intend to play/replay it some time.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

stvd

Post by stvd » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:42 pm

I do.
Weirdly, as I have 100's of unfinished games I'll often replay games that I've finished before.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:47 pm

Rarely with modern time-consuming games though everything I complete and keep (as opposed to completing and selling on) are games that I wouldn't mind playing again.

With modern games it all depends on how you can approach 'replaying' the game. If you have to wade through the entire thing again then it can be off-putting but if there is a level select or something similar then I'd be more tempted to re-visit. Good examples are games like Disaster: Day of Crisis which features collectables from the second run-through onwards or Lollipop Chainsaw which I used the level select to collect things or just enjoy the insane bosses and cutscenes multiple times.

It's why I like games like GTA where you have a big single player story mode but can endlessly return to the open world post-story to just mess about for an hour or five.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:50 am

I dont play modern games tons, to me theyre a bit like a dvd box set ! 5 or 10 years later i'll go back and play it again. Completed Half Life 2 years ago, be some time till i go back to that game, same for many other modern games.

With retro games you get that huge nostalgia feeling plus many of them are high score chasers rather than complete the whole story type of thing

The other thing is with SO many games available on so many systems via emulation or cheap PC games to download from the net etc theres so much variety i dont tend to replay modern games once i complete them

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:21 pm

Call of Duty 2 on the 360. Played that through 3 times on Veteran
Prey about 4 or 5 times
Going Solo...................

thebear

Post by thebear » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:46 am

I don't have time to play all the games I buy once all the way through let alone more than once
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:26 am

Last game I replayed was Bulletstorm on the 360.
One of the most underrated games of the last gen and I played through all difficulties!

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:37 pm

stvd wrote:I do.
Weirdly, as I have 100's of unfinished games I'll often replay games that I've finished before.
^ Aye, I quite often fall into that trap! There aren't a huge number of games I've bought that I haven't played regularly once I do start playing them.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:19 pm

For me this applies to modern or retro, if they are good enough then yes if not then no - simples.

Cake.

Eat your nans pants

JohnnyBgood

Post by JohnnyBgood » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:23 am

I'm currently replaying all Metal Slug games, and also Pokemons red and yellow versions :)

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:14 am

Oh yeah, always replaying games. I rarely have the time to finish games tbh, so I'm always going back. I'm mainly a sports/footy/driving games player these days so they're meant for replaying!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:32 am

I'm a Trophy censored and an ex-Achievements censored so I replay stuff all the time.

But for fun the game that I go back to for repeated plays is King's Bounty.

I played through Freedom Fighters a bunch of times too. Top game. And Jedi Academy. Even though I don't really like Star Wars.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:26 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:I'm a Trophy censored and an ex-Achievements censored so I replay stuff all the time.

But for fun the game that I go back to for repeated plays is King's Bounty.

I played through Freedom Fighters a bunch of times too. Top game. And Jedi Academy. Even though I don't really like Star Wars.
Freedom Fighters is an amazing game. I've beaten it a few times now.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:22 am

Katzkatz wrote:Yeah, sometimes. I think what you are getting at, is more the modern games. I think the mentality today is to buy them and play them, then not go back to them. I done some recent replays - the Freedom Force series and Star Trek : Bridge Commander. It was just good to see how to do things differently in those games.

I've done it a couple of times with games, on different difficulty levels; I did that with Soldier of Fortune and Star Trek Voyage : Elite Force.
I must've played through Freedom Force so many times...

I tend to replay certain games even if I have new games to play, I just seem to reason that if I've only got a little spare time, I might as well spend it doing something I know I'll enjoy.