Does anyone replay games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ferret Oxide

Does anyone replay games?

Post by Ferret Oxide » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:28 pm

With so many games already available, and more on the way, it's tempting to play a game and then discard it in favour of something new. But do you?

Do you avoid replaying games? Or do you only replay certain games such as old favourites or particular genres?

The Laird

Re: Does anyone replay games?

Post by The Laird » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:45 pm

Retro games yes, modern games no.

With the time you have to invest in most modern games I don't see much point in going back to do it all again.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:45 pm

I replay games constantly, I also re-read books and re-watch my favorite films. Everyone does right?
Scott me up beamie!

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:40 pm

In my opinion, if you don't (or won't) replay a game, then you clearly aren't going to get your moneys worth out of it.

Same applies to loads of other things - books, DVDs etc. You wouldn't buy a TV set to watch a single episode of one program just to buy a new TV for the next episode would you? The same principal applies to all media for me.
Where logic won't work, I will

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:50 pm

All the time.

If I have just completed a game and it has a NEW GAME + option I will sometimes do another run through straight away if it has some interesting upgrades and extras to use.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:51 pm

gunbladelad wrote:In my opinion, if you don't (or won't) replay a game, then you clearly aren't going to get your moneys worth out of it.

Same applies to loads of other things - books, DVDs etc. You wouldn't buy a TV set to watch a single episode of one program just to buy a new TV for the next episode would you? The same principal applies to all media for me.

Depends, certain games have more than enough content in one play through.

The Forza games are a good example, career modes are enough to keep you going for a long time. Same as some RPGs. I put 90 hours into one playthrough on blue dragon on the 360.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:42 pm

Sometimes I'll replay a campaign at a higher difficulty to get the achievements. Sometimes the game requires a second playthrough to fully upgrade your character and see everything.

But if I don't enjoy a campaign then I doubt I will replay it. As The Laird said, it is different with retro games as a lot of them require much less time. I'll happily replay Golden Axe or Super Mario Land or something because there's so little time investment required. I don't think I'll ever replay something like Oblivion, though. It's too much of a time commitment when there are other games waiting for me to play them.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:46 pm

Yes, I usually play through on Normal, then Hard. If it's the sort of thing that doesn't have difficulty levels, or it takes 100 hours to play through, then I'll just do it once. I may replay a few chapters or something to get some trophies if I'm not going to play through the whole thing again.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:00 pm

I seem to replay older games such as arcade Shadow Warriors and Final Fight + Megadrive Golden Axe 2 are the current fave's almost daily finish them on 1 credit repeat the next day etc.. I think Luigi's Mansion Gamecube was the lastest/Newest game I replayed.. Strangely when I get 1000g on a game I just lose all interest in it and never play it again even stuff like Lollipop Chainsaw I've know interesting in replaying..

Then again I rarely re-watch films after seeing a film once that's it
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:23 pm

There are certain older titles that always have me coming back for another run (Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, Jet Set Radio Future, Outrun, Metal Gear Solid, etc).

In terms of modern games I'm actually having a blast re-buying and re-playing all the 360 games I had near it's first year or two on the market. I'm finding it's been just long enough that I've forgotten certain levels, plot details or surprises to be able to enjoy them again :)

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:35 am

Moreso with retro games, but if the game's worth replaying then yes. Hitman Absolution is the latest one I'm replaying - trying to play through in a different way to before. If you can get different types of character to play as it helps the replay value too as it forces you to adapt your play style.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:35 am

Some games I just keep going back to, even if I first have the intention of playing something in my backlog to start with.
Civilization V is a good example of this as I am now nearing 1300 hours played in the game.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:21 am

I often find the second run is more enjoyable since I have an idea of the layout, weapons, enemy placement etc so less time spent wondering what to do or dying. Shame level selects are so rare these days, as I often wish I could just replay a particular mission instead of doing the whole thing over again

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:18 pm

Are level selects rare? I see them on loads of games.

I will replay a game a second time only if I simply feel I'm not through with the game as an experience yet. I am usually beyond 1000g or getting a platinum on the game though.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:40 pm

Yeah, sometimes. I think what you are getting at, is more the modern games. I think the mentality today is to buy them and play them, then not go back to them. I done some recent replays - the Freedom Force series and Star Trek : Bridge Commander. It was just good to see how to do things differently in those games.

I've done it a couple of times with games, on different difficulty levels; I did that with Soldier of Fortune and Star Trek Voyage : Elite Force.