Cuphead: Don't Deal With The Devil [PC, XBO]

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mayhem

Re: Cuphead: Don't Deal With The Devil [PC, XBO]

Post by Mayhem » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:42 pm

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

merman

Post by merman » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:29 pm

There is a look behind the scenes feature in ganesTM issue 191 on sale now (Xbox One X on the cover).
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:51 pm

Game's out. Some complaints about the high difficulty from some but otherwise a very positive reception. 20 bucks is hardly too much for what is visually, sonically and conceptually one of the most intriguing titles released in recent few years, and the Contra/Gunstar Heroes/Mega Man style gameplay that does not babysit you should also draw in those looking for a old-school challenge.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:10 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:51 pm
and the Contra/Gunstar Heroes/Mega Man style gameplay that does not babysit you should also draw in those looking for a old-school challenge.
That sums up why I wanted it. I'm big on boss battles, especially when they are well designed hence why I was originally sold on the game (other than the amazing graphics). Not surprised at the difficulty comments though, its definitely not a game to pull its punches, but again that's why I like it so much. I want to be challenged, and Cuphead does that fairly. I'm mostly done with area 2 now, and I've managed to get A/A+ ranks on all the bosses so far. Took a few tries on some but once you get the patterns down its so damn satisfying. Can't wait to get back to the game tomorrow.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:47 am

With regards to Cupheads difficulty - a so called games journalist of 20 years spent over an hour trying to do the tutorial (namely the dash jump)! There’s 100s of YouTube video of his playthrough all with commentary mocking him saying “He can’t even finish a tutorial what tells him what to do” and laughed as he walked into enemies. He did respond having a go at them.

The other video I saw the guy was doing the levels without taking a hit, and he owned the carrot Boss(and the veg mini bosses) within seconds making the game look way to easy.

So can’t really get a good feel for how hard it is, as lots of these Ninjas doing 1 life replays make it look to easy when it’s anything but
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:25 am

The vegetable bosses are super easy anyway though. I'd expect most people to have no problems with those bosses. Heck, the onion barely fights back at all! Its the perfect place to learn how to parry as well.

All the other bosses (bar maybe the blue blob) are a step up difficulty wise and require you to learn their attacks and patterns. Its not really "that" hard, if you can clear any of the Contra's, Mega Man's, Ghosts n Goblins etc. you'll be ok here. The bosses all have plenty of clear sings with regards which moves they'll use so you can prepare to evade. Its definitely not easy though, you'll probably die a fair few times while learning said patterns, especially against the longer boss battles but that's part of the fun for me.
Getting good ranks in each fight though... that's a different story. That requires you to know the bosses back to front, and beat them pretty much perfectly. I've managed to A rank all the bosses in the first two areas, haven't started the third one yet but am looking forward to seeing what they have in store for me!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

the_b1ues

Post by the_b1ues » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:15 pm

So whats everyone first opinion this game then thinking of buying it?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:46 am

One of the best games of the year for me. Audio/Visual wise its amazing, and gameplay wise it ticks all the boxes for me. Just bare in mind that its 90% a boss rush game - I think there are only 7 run and gun stages (like your standard Contra or Mega Man level) with the rest of the encounters being multi phase boss battles. Oh, and its definitely hard! Which is great for me, but might put other people off.

I'm almost done with Isle III now. Only have two bosses left to do. There are some genuinely awesome moments in some of these boss fights including a rather blatant nod toward Tom and Jerry. Its also got a couple of the hardest bosses in the game in this area, though I'd still probably rate the Dragon and Clown as two of the tougher battles and they are both in the second area.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:33 am

Well so bought Cuphead on your recommendation ‘Shadowman’ and is superb looks lovely like Steamboat Willy or one of those old cartoons. I can 1 cc Contra and get to the last level on Ghost and Goblins so do like a challenge.

Friend came over earlier and we’ve been playing this and Snes Castlevania most of the day. Beat those 2 Kung Fu frogs who merge into a fruit machine and that English Gentleman like blue person. They where hard at first but when we got the patterns down easy and we got A-

Now stuck on the shooter level Lady boss who looks like Olive Oyl from Popeye and she’s very hard to beat. As I don’t have her patterns down! Is it worth buying anything in the shop as on the replay they use the 3 way shot?
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:27 am

Shinobi wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:33 am
Well so bought Cuphead on your recommendation ‘Shadowman’ and is superb looks lovely like Steamboat Willy or one of those old cartoons. I can 1 cc Contra and get to the last level on Ghost and Goblins so do like a challenge.

Friend came over earlier and we’ve been playing this and Snes Castlevania most of the day. Beat those 2 Kung Fu frogs who merge into a fruit machine and that English Gentleman like blue person. They where hard at first but when we got the patterns down easy and we got A-

Now stuck on the shooter level Lady boss who looks like Olive Oyl from Popeye and she’s very hard to beat. As I don’t have her patterns down! Is it worth buying anything in the shop as on the replay they use the 3 way shot?
Powerups won't affect flight levels. But yes you should grab a couple of powerups. My choices are the spread shot for the second weapon (its excellent for crowd control and close range) and the charge shot (not used it myself, but heard its overpowered). Also, the invisible dash move makes you invincible for the duration of the dash, so you can dash through shots, small enemies and other attacks. Its invaluable in my opinion.

As for the Zeppelin - she's not too bad once you get her attack patterns down. On the final phase with the UFO's keep in mind the red UFO's shoot a laser beam right at the end of the screen, while yellow UFO's shoot their beam when they roughly reach the middle of the screen, so move your plane accordingly.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:01 pm

Can I just remind you that I love you shadowman!! You're the gamer I never will be!
Rocket League has ruined me!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:16 pm

sscott wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:01 pm
Can I just remind you that I love you shadowman!! You're the gamer I never will be!
Rocket League has ruined me!
:lol: Thanks! This game is pretty much perfect for me, its super fun and challenges me nicely, almost done with my first playthrough, but I'm really looking forward to my expert difficulty run when I can.
Never played Rocket League myself, not a big fan of multiplayer games these days so I've never tried it, though I do own it from back when it went free on PS+ so I might try it one day!

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:32 pm

Looks like GDP Win just got a "killer app":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp0f8A-jTfI

Being a Microsoft exclusive (Xbox + Windows PCs), the only portable to play it on currently is GDP Win. But this is bound to happen when you can run all Windows apps. Will be interesting to see how the next gen GPD turns out to be.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:38 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:32 pm
Looks like GDP Win just got a "killer app":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp0f8A-jTfI

Being a Microsoft exclusive (Xbox + Windows PCs), the only portable to play it on currently is GDP Win. But this is bound to happen when you can run all Windows apps. Will be interesting to see how the next gen GPD turns out to be.
I take it you mean 'only portable way', excluding all the other Windows tablets available, which include a fair few with physical controls. GPD may be the most portable, but tbh I've got used to much bigger screens for my portable gaming these days. Even the Switch is a bit small for my liking.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:32 pm

Yeah, the good things about the GPD Win are that it's got a built in controller and you can fit it into your pocket. However, it does come with certain compromises and the larger Windows tablets are better for a lot of other games while still portable. Once you get to anything that seriously benefits from mouse control the Surface Pro beats it hands down.

That said, lo-fi indie games with controller support are generally going to be right in its sweet spot, and I've got a long-haul flight on Sunday so I think I might take the plunge.