Modern Reboot/retouches

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Negative Creep

Re: Modern Reboot/retouches

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:32 am

Gigifusc wrote:
SpockIOM wrote:Having played and really enjoyed the remastered versions of Duck Tales and Castle of Illusion (the originals are among my favourites too), I'm really hoping that some more of the Disney games get the same treatment - Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers and World of Illusion are right at the top of that list for me.

I'm really torn about FF7 (or 8 and 9) being remastered, but I wouldn't mind seeing a modernised version of Vagrant Story.
And there's the problem right there - opinion. People's opinions vary wildly on what's a good thing and what's a bad thing.

I thought the update of Castle of Illusion was really quite poor - had none of the playability of the older game.

I would have preferred an HD update myself.

So with such varying opinion, it's difficult to really decide on what's a good thing to do and what's not. Personally, I think the remakes and HD update are cynical on behalf of the publishers because they are easy cash ins. We buy them because we're suckers.
;)

Surely that applies to all games though? A remaster should be fairly low risk since the framework is there and it will generate sales based off the name as opposed to risking some new IP

Churchy

Post by Churchy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:46 pm

Shenmue I&II HD - a guy can dream can't he?

Apart from that I'd also say Viewtiful Joe - I often like it when it's games that didn't get a huge look-in first time around.

Analog

Post by Analog » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:49 pm

they won't remake ff7 any time soon I reckon. it won't be redone until they make another final fantasy that eclipses it in terms of sales and how much of a good game it is rated as.

thebear

Post by thebear » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:30 pm

Analog wrote:they won't remake ff7 any time soon I reckon.

oops!

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/06/16/fi ... er-e3-2015
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:56 pm

^Any other Unlikely Remasters/Remakes you'd like to jinx for us? :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:09 pm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... ing-to-ps4

Two things that can barely be called "Games" get tarted up
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:42 pm

Well I guess I'll have to shut up complaining now (although I don't have a PS4). What else can I try?

Erm....why haven't they done a Final Fantasy 6 remake yet? It's a licence to print money!

Analog

Post by Analog » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:31 am

thebear wrote:

oops!

well I was going by what they said about the subject of a final fantasy 7 remake.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/26/s ... vii-remake
According to Andrisang, CEO Yoichi Wada explained during the company's annual shareholder meeting that it would not remake the legendary RPG until it makes a brand new Final Fantasy game that "exceeds the quality" of Final Fantasy VII.

If the team were to remake Final Fantasy VII now, then the Final Fantasy franchise "would be done with".

In a candid statement, Wada clarified that he feels the current slew of titles in the franchise have not surpassed their popular predecessor in terms of quality. He stressed that while they hopefully would manage this in future, if the team were to remake Final Fantasy VII before this was achieved, then the Final Fantasy franchise "would be done with".

This revelation comes hot on the heels of statements by Tetsuya Nomura, who recently admitted that a remake wasn't a priority. He also suggested that the current batch of titles would need to be improved before the company cast its gaze backwards, saying "The new Final Fantasy must overcome the Final Fantasy of the past.”

It looks like for now we're just going to have to hope that rumours about an updated Steam version of the game being released are true, and that Final Fantasy XV is the game we've all been waiting for from Square Enix. If you've forgotten why this talk of a remake started, check out the tech demo for the PS3 below, which shows Cloud, Aerith and the bustling streets of Midgar in High Definition.
so I guess then they consider that the final franchise is "done with". either that or they've completely abandoned that principle of wanting to make something better than ff7 before remaking it :?

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:37 am

Eternal Darkness on the WII U would be awesome, using the gamepad for spells, having things appear on it that you see out of the corner of your eye while your focus is on the main screen for sanity effects, it'd be great.

thebear

Post by thebear » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:35 pm

Analog wrote:
thebear wrote:

oops!

well I was going by what they said about the subject of a final fantasy 7 remake.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/26/s ... vii-remake
According to Andrisang, CEO Yoichi Wada explained during the company's annual shareholder meeting that it would not remake the legendary RPG until it makes a brand new Final Fantasy game that "exceeds the quality" of Final Fantasy VII.

If the team were to remake Final Fantasy VII now, then the Final Fantasy franchise "would be done with".

In a candid statement, Wada clarified that he feels the current slew of titles in the franchise have not surpassed their popular predecessor in terms of quality. He stressed that while they hopefully would manage this in future, if the team were to remake Final Fantasy VII before this was achieved, then the Final Fantasy franchise "would be done with".

This revelation comes hot on the heels of statements by Tetsuya Nomura, who recently admitted that a remake wasn't a priority. He also suggested that the current batch of titles would need to be improved before the company cast its gaze backwards, saying "The new Final Fantasy must overcome the Final Fantasy of the past.”

It looks like for now we're just going to have to hope that rumours about an updated Steam version of the game being released are true, and that Final Fantasy XV is the game we've all been waiting for from Square Enix. If you've forgotten why this talk of a remake started, check out the tech demo for the PS3 below, which shows Cloud, Aerith and the bustling streets of Midgar in High Definition.
so I guess then they consider that the final franchise is "done with". either that or they've completely abandoned that principle of wanting to make something better than ff7 before remaking it :?

I thought it unlikely too mate to be honest
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Analog

Post by Analog » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:09 pm

yea don't get me wrong, i'm happy for all the people that wanted a modern final fantasy 7. i'm just confused they've changed their ideas about this and feel slightly worried that they might be caring less about standards in pursuit of making a bit of money from a remake..

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:04 am

In fairness the article is from a few years back. Since then obviously someone has had a change of heart and finally realised they could make a huge amount of money for the company.

Not following square enix anymore as I don't really play RPGs now due to lack of time. I'm not sure what state the are in financially. I'm sure they spend an awful lot so they may need a massive injection of cash for all I know.

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:29 am

Player Manager reboot called The Player Manager 2016.

http://www.kickoffworld.net/

Latest flash version ( 0.91 ) available now ( you can even save your game, tactics etc. )

Windows, Android and Mac a couple of days

David

Post by David » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:16 pm

lazy lazy lazy

countless games and films getting remade instead of putting the effort into making something new

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:11 pm

^ It works both ways. New games are exciting but as a retro gamer it's also quite nice to be able to play older titles with a bit of spit n' polish, if done right :)

I would really like to see a re-boot of Brute Force. It was a squad-based shooter on the original X-Box that featured some really unique characters (talking dinosaur lizard men!), levels and powers. It was a bit rough around the edges and seems to have been forgotten. I can't help but think if it had been released on the 360 it would now be a mega-franchise.