Retro Apple gaming

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Retro Apple gaming

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:37 pm

I was curious - having never owned a vintage Apple machine(the I, II, IIGS or the old Motorola based Macintoshes) - was anyone here into Apple gaming? I know it's probably quite niche - Apple isn't really known for their gaming credentials.

I think that Dungeon Master was a biggish hit on the Apple IIGS. I think that Zany Golf was on there as well. I also think that some of the Level 7 adventure games came to that platform.

I think the early 8 and 16 bit Apple gaming scene was only really in the USA. It didn't really seem to hit these shores. At least, that's my impression.

Anyway, if anyone was into them - please post your memories here.

ncf1

Re: Retro Apple gaming

Post by ncf1 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:40 pm

Apple II (in its various incarnations - IIe, IIc, IIplus) and its clones was the most popular machine here in Australia when I was in high school. There really was nothing else until the C64 and then Amiga decided to come along and destroy everything in its path. I had an Apple II Europlus at home but at school there were mostly IIe's and there'd always be a game or two on every system so you would "collect" what you could find. They allowed one single game on the school systems - Transylvania, as for some reason they deemed it educational.

But I would absolutely love a publication with a compendium of Apple games.. I mean they really were great for the time, and the games were more involved and I think interesting than Atari 2600 games (which was really the only real other system for gaming people had here at the time). You had the likes of Beyond Castle Wolfenstein, the Pacman clones like Taxman, driving games like Speedway Classics and Autobahn, tons of strategy-type games and adventures like Transylvania, Hitchhikers Guide and Sherwood Forest.. I absolutely loved the Apple II, it was also simple to program on (Basic that is, I didn't try anything else though), and I made loads of games, as I mentioned, I wish they had publications just for Apple II gaming but incredibly I never could find one, or at least a decent one, absolutely nothing on Amazon et al. No compilations of games, or history, it actually blows my mind that nothing exists out there because Apple II gaming was very popular at my school and every computer shop had the latest games on display in their windows.

I cherish every piece RG has on the Apple, I loved for instance the Jordan Mechner interview, I thought it was one of the very best, the guy is a genius. Only trouble of course is RG is British based, so... we need an RG America! ;) Goddamn it. Trouble is also people are passing away.. the guy who wrote Wolfenstein, Douglas Adams and his part in the Hitchikers game, they would make for some classic articles I reckon.

I think its one machine that has in the past been sorely overlooked, and if anyone can recommend a decent book/compendium with Apple games steer me towards it!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:33 am

Here in NZ it was also the high school system of choice until the BBC got in, and I adored it. My particular faves were text adventures, Castle Wolfenstein and Lode Runner.
Aside from that there were the likes of Hard Hat Mack, Starblazer, and Pinball like Davids Midnight Magic that were popular with school mates.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:33 am

Thank you for all of the replies. I was a little worried that I wouldn't get any responses for this thread! I didn't know that the vintage Apples were big in Australia. It was interesting hearing about that.

If anyone else has any memories - please feel free to post here.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:44 am

Never had an Apple at home but i used to play Daleks on the Macintosh 512's we had at work at the time. I still play flash versions of that from time to time for the nostalgia kick. :)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:48 am

Something I've never tried actually, that, and eaten lobster either.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:32 pm

I've looked into getting one a few times but always seem to cost a fortune :(
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:28 am

There were some very cool clones around too.

I loved it for text adventures, as the IIe had such a nice keyboard for such games. Also Lode runner with it's level design, we would spend ages on that.

Lots of happy memories with a few mates, all playing the same text adventure on 3 or 4 machines and throwing out suggestions etc for puzzles we were facing. :)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:21 pm

exactly Kiwimike, that was brilliant.. text adventures like Hitchhikers for instance, moving forwards in some of those games felt like such an achievement, and you felt like a champion if you were the one who made the right suggestion, hehe.

Those pioneering days.. just cant beat 'em.

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:23 pm

I have an Apple IIGS and a LCIII but i must admit i've never done a lot with them.
My IIGS has a Compact Flash card fitted and i've a ton of games on that for it just have never gotten around to using it much.
Some many games, so little time and all that :(

davyK

Post by davyK » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:52 pm

The Apple IIe is the first computer I wrote a program for (would call it an app now I suppose).

Gaming wise - memories are Hammarabi, Little Brick Out, Yahtzee and a surprisingly accurate version of Space Invaders.

I wrote a version of Monopoly for the Apple for my school project.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:13 am

ncf1 wrote:exactly Kiwimike, that was brilliant.. text adventures like Hitchhikers for instance, moving forwards in some of those games felt like such an achievement, and you felt like a champion if you were the one who made the right suggestion, hehe.

Yep...though it was tough having the Apple IIe awesomeness at school, then home to the ZX81 :lol: Shouldn't grizzle though, without Sir Clives machine I wouldn't have had had anything I could afford at home.
Even now I find that Apple II design simply gorgeous, the keyboard superb

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:46 am

kiwimike wrote:
ncf1 wrote:exactly Kiwimike, that was brilliant.. text adventures like Hitchhikers for instance, moving forwards in some of those games felt like such an achievement, and you felt like a champion if you were the one who made the right suggestion, hehe.

Yep...though it was tough having the Apple IIe awesomeness at school, then home to the ZX81 :lol: Shouldn't grizzle though, without Sir Clives machine I wouldn't have had had anything I could afford at home.
Even now I find that Apple II design simply gorgeous, the keyboard superb
Yes I agree, the design, the whole feel of it, the disk-based system was terrific to use.. the games also just had a charm of their own. No other system played quite like the Apple II .. there was just something about it.

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:08 am

From what I recall, some Apple had a nice collection of RPGs by Origin (Ultima etc.)