Fallout 4

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Beans

Re: Fallout 4

Post by The Beans » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:44 am

Been looking forward to this game for so long and now I come to play it and I'm finding it all a bit too familiar. It's a great game, it's more Fallout 3 ... but it's not hitting my gaming G-spot for some reason.
Still, it's early doors I suppose. I'm only level 10 and I haven't done much of the story or anything so here's hoping the whole thing really kicks off further down the line.
I think I'll re-install Witcher 3 though, just in case.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:57 am

The Beans wrote:Been looking forward to this game for so long and now I come to play it and I'm finding it all a bit too familiar. It's a great game, it's more Fallout 3 ... but it's not hitting my gaming G-spot for some reason.
I was the same with Skyrim, so I kind of expected that. Bethesda just isn't as good as some other companies (*cough* Obsidian) at writing a compelling plot and interesting people.

Still, I eventually got into Skyrim and I suspect I will with Fallout 4 too eventually. Just have to stick with it.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:52 am

Very impressed so far. There has been some negativity on some gaming sites concerning the graphics, some people going as far as to call them 'ugly' or hideous', honestly, I think they look great. The graphics aren't amazing or anything like that, but they certainly aren't last generation. I'm totally content with them. The weather effects work well too, especially the rain. I'm pretty sure most of the graphics complaints are from gamers who have zero interest in the game anyway.

It does feel a lot like Fallout 3 in some respects. Hacking terminals and picking locks are exactly the same as F3 and NV. Which in a way is a good thing.

I'm playing the Xbox One, which at the moment is the weakest in terms of overall performance. I've played for about 8 hours so far and apart from a slow down in a factory when a large explosion occurred, I haven't had problems with the frame rate so far. Apparently the game can frequently pause and drop down to 0 fps, but I've not had that happen to me, although I am running the game off an external hard drive.

Loving it so far.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:57 am

Is anyone else annoyed that you can't see your reflection in mirrors, flush toilets or turn showers on?

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:58 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Is anyone else annoyed that you can't see your reflection in mirrors, flush toilets or turn showers on?
Are you a ghost?

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:05 pm

No doubt 30 patches are on their way! I'll wait a month or two I think!

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:32 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Is anyone else annoyed that you can't see your reflection in mirrors, flush toilets or turn showers on?
Not sure I've come across any mirrors yet, other than the initial one. In fallout 3 you could drink from sinks - and toilets - but you never actually saw yourself do it. It was a daft game mechanic anyway, where was the water supposed to come from?

You can still drink water from rivers, and your character even cups his hands to do it. It does have weather now too.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:30 pm

Got home after 12 hjours at work but still managed to squeeze a few hours in. Seems very promising in these early stage with what looks to be a decent story, smooth controls and an interesting world. Graphics aren't amazing but can't say that bothers me

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:04 am

Looks good so far, for brief time I've spent with it. Found my dog and now pottering about Sanctuary to see what I can find. What starting S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats did you all go for? Plumped for 10 Luck and everything else even.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:42 am

Mrs goes mental if I forget to flush the toilet.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:06 am

Sel Feena wrote:Looks good so far, for brief time I've spent with it. Found my dog and now pottering about Sanctuary to see what I can find. What starting S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats did you all go for? Plumped for 10 Luck and everything else even.
Can't remember the exact number but I put a load of points into Charisma, Perception and Intelligence and then spread the rest evenly. It took me a while to figure out that chart though. It seems like your main S.P.E.C.I.A.L stat impacts on how far down the chart you can pick perks from?

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:55 am

I spent nearly an hour playing the Missile Command clone on my Pip Boy. :oops:
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:08 am

gman72 wrote:
Mrs goes mental if I forget to flush the toilet.

I always go for a pretty well rounded build, with a point or two more in strength so I can carry all the junk I inevitably think might be useful. First glitch as well, but seeing as it was the rather unexpected Deathclaw getting stuck in a hole, I'm not complaining :lol:

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:14 am

theantmeister wrote:
Sel Feena wrote:Looks good so far, for brief time I've spent with it. Found my dog and now pottering about Sanctuary to see what I can find. What starting S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats did you all go for? Plumped for 10 Luck and everything else even.
Can't remember the exact number but I put a load of points into Charisma, Perception and Intelligence and then spread the rest evenly. It took me a while to figure out that chart though. It seems like your main S.P.E.C.I.A.L stat impacts on how far down the chart you can pick perks from?
Seems to be the case, yeah. I was able to put my first point straight on Mysterious Stranger.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:27 am

There's a doorway in the car factory that looks like you're going outside as it's bright white, but suddenly pops indoor textures up when you go through it. I came back later and it was still the same. Apart from a ghoul that disappeared through a wall, that's all the glitches i've encountered so far. No slowdown either (though i'm sure that's on the way now i've said that). Apparently there's a PC specific terminal problem and a few people have had the game completely lock on them.

This was not the best time to plan going away for the weekend...