XCOM 2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: XCOM 2

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:13 am

^Antmeister - Whoops! I forgot this had just come out. Hmmm, looks like I'll have to get it soon. I haven't completed "The Long War" mod yet.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:25 am

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:01 am

98%? Way too low :P
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:46 am

Mayhem wrote:98%? Way too low :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes. I agree. Hehehehehehehehe.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:38 pm

I've watched some YouTube videos of it. It does look good, and it's good how they haven't just repeated stuff from the first game in the reboot, but added different stuff(e.g. the hacking).

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:31 pm

theantmeister wrote:Anyone else playing this?

I had another epic mission failure last night. My censored squad can't hit anything. Useless fucks, they all deserve to die.

Also, I'm pretty sure the AI knows exactly where my squad is in concealment. It's amazing how enemy patrols always seem to wander straight into them. Also, why the censored can those Viper guys shoot through censored walls?

I think I need a break from this for a day...
Haha, yeah. I feel your pain.

I, unashamedly turned it on to easy as I was getting my arse whooped.

28 hours in now and having a ball. I thought i was pretty decent at the last one, obviously i was wrong!

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:23 am

I think that perhaps, different tactics are needed for this game - compared with the old one. I'll admit, it does look tough - but, have you guys played "The Long War" mod? That's tough as well.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:51 am

Damn you XCOM! Just when I thought I was getting the hang of you, you pull this censored!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:45 am

I don't want to jinx it - but I think I might be getting the hang of this now!

You know you're on top of things when you get that reinforcements warning and you have time to setup a nice ambush. :mrgreen:

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:55 pm

Ugh, the last patch has done something horrible to this game on my PC :(

I seem to get 10 second hangs every time an enemy triggers a soldier in overwatch. That's when the camera is focused on the right unit. Half the time it seems to focus on empty space during the aliens turn now. :roll:

Now the aliens have stopped taking their turn. Humanity is saved!
Last edited by theantmeister on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:16 pm

Is there a demo or something I can grab to see if my machine is powerful enough to run this?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:16 pm

I wonder if the XCOM 3 - will be a tribute to "Terror From the Deep"? It'll be interesting to see if that happens. Also, if this game gets a mod like "The Long War" mod for X-Com Enemy Unknown and Within got. That would be be cool to see.
Last edited by Katzkatz on Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:43 pm

That might be interesting. I have to admit, I never played any of the classic Xcom games, but an underwater Xcom sounds brilliant. Imagine all the horrible ways they could drown your squad :lol:

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:51 am

theantmeister wrote:That might be interesting. I have to admit, I never played any of the classic Xcom games, but an underwater Xcom sounds brilliant. Imagine all the horrible ways they could drown your squad :lol:
The funny thing is, you couldn't drown in Terror from the Deep. It was basically just a straight re-run of the first game in an underwater setting, with only a few very minor changes to the game engine, and that made for some oddities such as not being able to swim upwards until you got the most advanced armour and, once you could, you were pretty much immune to some of the enemies as they could only scuttle along the sea bottom whilst trying to engage in hand to hand combat.

Anyway, I'm guessing that we'll see ports of the second game to consoles and tablets before a third game is on the table.
Mayhem wrote:Is there a demo or something I can grab to see if my machine is powerful enough to run this?
Sadly, there isn't.

However, so long as you've got a high performance graphics card from the past five years, with native DirectX 11 support, you ought to be able to run it well. A GeForce 200 or AMD 4000 series card won't run it at all, while even a mid range card from the GeForce 400 series a couple of years later will do just fine. Just watch out with AMD 5000 cards, as some do support it while others are re-badged 4000 series that don't.

I've also tested it on a couple of machines with integrated graphics (an i5-4330U and an A10-5800K) and it runs on both at the minimum settings. Some of the animations might be a bit choppy from time to time, but I'd think it demonstrates that DX11 support is the key thing, rather than processing power.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:47 am

I finally finished my first play through. Only took me 50-odd hours...

I really enjoyed it. Sure, it was tough going at the beginning, but once you level up your soldiers and technology it becomes a total blast.

The ending did come a little abruptly though. The final mission felt less climactic than the last level of the first game. There isn't even a boss to speak of.