XCOM 2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

outdated_gamer

Re: XCOM 2

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:15 pm

Katzkatz wrote:I'll admit, it does seem a bit odd that it is PC only. Especially nowadays - as the PC is seen as more niche than the console systems.
Seriously? :wink:

Here a link of digital game sales the past year:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/26/digital- ... eport.html

As you can see, PC digital sales surpass both, console and mobile digital sales, so PC gaming is hardly "niche". The difference between modern console gaming and modern PC gaming is that modern console gaming is all about the big-budget, mainstream "AAA" games whereas on the PC games with smaller budgets but original ideas (what you console guys refer to as "indies") have far more chance to succeed. After all, was not the crowd-funding thing which brought back to life so many forgotten games and genres which the big publishers had no interest in started on the PC? :wink:

Also, strategy games are still massively popular on the PC, with the more hyped titles selling in millions. Can't say so for the consoles where there's barely any choice and even quality console (handheld, to be more accurate) strategy titles like Advance Wars went on a hiatus. Halo Wars 2 is basically all you got to look forward to.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:39 am

The vast majority of the money in PC games is in MMOs these days; it's games like League of Legends and DOTA 2 that are making it the most profitable platform. Strategy games, like XCOM, are very niche in comparison, so the quoted statistics don't really favour the argument.

I'll stick with my previous assessment that, if sales are good, it'll only be PC exclusive for so long and console ports will follow.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:11 am

Matt_B wrote:The vast majority of the money in PC games is in MMOs these days; it's games like League of Legends and DOTA 2 that are making it the most profitable platform. Strategy games, like XCOM, are very niche in comparison, so the quoted statistics don't really favour the argument.
Then again the very reason why X-COM 2 will be PC exclusive (timed or not) is to be found in the low sales of the first reboot on the consoles. There's a far bigger audience for strategy games on the PC.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:48 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
Matt_B wrote:The vast majority of the money in PC games is in MMOs these days; it's games like League of Legends and DOTA 2 that are making it the most profitable platform. Strategy games, like XCOM, are very niche in comparison, so the quoted statistics don't really favour the argument.
Then again the very reason why X-COM 2 will be PC exclusive (timed or not) is to be found in the low sales of the first reboot on the consoles. There's a far bigger audience for strategy games on the PC.
Low sales of 620K on the 360 and 570K on the PS versus PC sales of 700K, according to Vgchartz?

Still, that's just retail sales and the PC lead might stretch a bit when you take digital ones into account, but I'd be very surprised if it's to the extent that the incremental costs of making console ports wouldn't be covered.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:48 am

theantmeister wrote:Less than a week to go now! My graphics card is the listed minimum spec - hope it runs ok on that!
Got this pre-ordered from my brother for Christmas, looking forward to this. So long productivity.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:31 pm

Damn, forgot all about this and it's out in few days!

Just bought Tomb Raider on PC, thought that would do me for a while before I get distracted by something else.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:33 pm

Heh, yeah I lost track of it too, but a guy at work reminded me about it. I guess the delay didn't help. Can't be good for sales.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:43 am

^ Fingers crossed it does well, really want this on consoles.

The only glaring issue the first game had was the ability to zap and get zapped through walls, I hope there's no more of that malarkey.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:33 am

Sel Feena wrote:^ Fingers crossed it does well, really want this on consoles.

The only glaring issue the first game had was the ability to zap and get zapped through walls, I hope there's no more of that malarkey.
To be fair, that's an issue it shares with the original X-COM games, where you could often sneak a shot through a diagonal wall.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:01 pm

Has anyone seen the boardgame of XCOM? Here it is :-

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/p ... oard-game/

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:33 pm

Katzkatz wrote:Has anyone seen the boardgame of XCOM? Here it is :-

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/p ... oard-game/
Yeah, it didn't seem much fun, requires you to have at least 4 players and relies on hassling you into making mistakes with timed turns. Not keen.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:08 am

For those hoping for a console port - it was said on their Twitter that there is a high chance for a console version comming at some point. But the focus is clearly on the PC version and console users can probably also forget about mod support. The game is getting high acclaim from reviewers.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:01 am

That '95%' tweet? I took it as a good-natured joke; in the world of XCOM, that's a guaranteed miss! :lol:

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:43 pm

Dear lord, this game is brutal! I lost three people on the first mission! :shock:

Also, did the game default to maximum settings for anyone else? My poor 5770, it took me half an hour just to get into the settings and turn the detail down. On medium it is actually quite playable. The frame rate is a little choppy at times - but this is base spec we're talking about.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:50 am

Anyone else playing this?

I had another epic mission failure last night. My censored squad can't hit anything. Useless fucks, they all deserve to die.

Also, I'm pretty sure the AI knows exactly where my squad is in concealment. It's amazing how enemy patrols always seem to wander straight into them. Also, why the censored can those Viper guys shoot through censored walls?

I think I need a break from this for a day...