XCOM 2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Sel Feena

XCOM 2

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:03 pm

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/1/8699061 ... -exclusive

Anyone hyped over this? Enemy Within was amazing, and while it's a shame that it seems PC exclusive for now, brilliant to see a rebooted franchise do well enough to warrant another game.

HalcyonDaze00

Re: XCOM 2

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:07 pm

indeed, was gonna post this up yesterday but didn't get time

brilliant game, shame this is only for the PC at the moment but hopefully it will filter across onto the other formats too.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:34 pm

Looks very interesting. I wonder what having a mobile base will add to the gameplay?

Analog

Post by Analog » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:44 pm

procedurally generated maps
random map generation like in the original!? that was my one wish for what they should do next! :D amazing if true. looking forward to this!

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:10 am

IGN are going to explain why it is PC only on friday.
Apparently it didn't sell too well on consoles but I would still be surprised if it isn't ported to XB1 and PS4 further down the line.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:29 pm

I suspect it's in that middle ground of sales where publishers will back a sequel but aren't keen on throwing money at it, so starting with the most popular platform and porting it around if it's a hit seems the way to go.

Anyway, I suppose we should be thankful it's getting one at all. Two million sales used to be considered a hit, but nowadays it's close to the break-even line. So long as it's free of ludicrously well-armoured lobstermen, I'm interested.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:12 pm

Matt_B wrote:I suspect it's in that middle ground of sales where publishers will back a sequel but aren't keen on throwing money at it, so starting with the most popular platform and porting it around if it's a hit seems the way to go.

Anyway, I suppose we should be thankful it's getting one at all. Two million sales used to be considered a hit, but nowadays it's close to the break-even line. So long as it's free of ludicrously well-armoured lobstermen, I'm interested.
You mean you don't miss the days of having to lose loads of soldiers meleeing the gits with power tools? Well no, neither do I...

I'm really hyped for this, played through Enemy Within again recently on my iPhone. Just so, so good. Be interested to see how the tech tree will work this time round if you're playing a rebel force in a world already conquered. Perhaps interrogations will play a bigger role this time.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:54 pm

In an interview with IGN, Firaxis have said that XCOM 2 is PC only because that is where their area of expertise is and they want to concentrate on making the best game they can.
They added that the PS4 and XBOX One would likely be technically capable of running XCOM2, but developing all these features for multiple platforms simultaneously would be impossible for Firaxis to do.

So I think we can read that as Console ports further down the line.

Churchy

Post by Churchy » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:07 pm

Well I have been meaning to get a dedicated gaming PC for a while now. Firaxis just gave me a brilliant reason!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:29 pm

Wow. This is good news. I like everyone loved the XCOM reboot. Don't forget that there is also the free "Long War" mod for that game - I posted up about that awhile ago.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:42 pm

^ Well aren't Firaxis huge fans of that mod themselves? I wonder how much of an influence it'll have on XCOM 2. Fair play to Firaxis for wanting to stick to their strengths and looking to put out the best product they can, but hopefully they'll throw console owners a bone at some point!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:52 pm

I'll admit, it does seem a bit odd that it is PC only. Especially nowadays - as the PC is seen as more niche than the console systems. Also - it probably nowadays is a lot easy to program for multiple systems - even though there is some cost involved. Usually, it's the PC that seems to miss out on the new big releases(e.g. having to wait a few months or not having DLC for it in some cases).

Who knows - maybe they'll find a case for putting it on the consoles.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:39 pm

Less than a week to go now! My graphics card is the listed minimum spec - hope it runs ok on that!

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:29 pm

Katzkatz wrote:I'll admit, it does seem a bit odd that it is PC only. Especially nowadays - as the PC is seen as more niche than the console systems.
Beg to differ! http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/01/d ... -platform/

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:02 pm

I liked the reboot but I'm not gagging for this. It's more of the same with random maps. It's certainly not a major need on consoles for me. My occasional cravings for turn-based malarkey are easily satisfied by Divinity: Original Sin and Wasteland 2 on XO. I've even got Massive Chalice to start in on if things get too desperate.
If Xcom 2 gets a console release then that's nice and I might pick it up at some point when it hits the bargain bins. Otherwise, not fussed.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.