Console that plays games from 11 differnt machines! Sort of.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Treguard

Console that plays games from 11 differnt machines! Sort of.

Post by Treguard » Thu May 21, 2015 11:08 am

http://metro.co.uk/2015/05/20/retro-fre ... s-5207226/

Ok, so even if we accept the Gameboy Colour and Gameboy are different systems, you're still doubling up on the SNES and Mega Drive, and the PC Engine's on there three times. So in reality, its actually 7 systems. That said, I'd be tempted by one of these just for PC Engine games, I'll be keeping an eye on this. Anyone else interested?

RodimusPrime

Re: Console that plays games from 11 differnt machines! Sort

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu May 21, 2015 11:31 am

I have a Retron 5 and love it, but am still interested in this. Mainly for PC engine support.

I just can't believe anyone making a system like this would choose to not have NES support, to me that seems like a crazy decision.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu May 21, 2015 11:36 am

RodimusPrime wrote:I have a Retron 5 and love it, but am still interested in this. Mainly for PC engine support.

I just can't believe anyone making a system like this would choose to not have NES support, to me that seems like a crazy decision.
It plays Famicom games, so it plays NES games, kinda. It's a Japanese machine, maybe if it gets an international release they'll retool it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu May 21, 2015 11:37 am

Treguard wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:I have a Retron 5 and love it, but am still interested in this. Mainly for PC engine support.

It plays Famicom games, so it plays NES games, kinda. It's a Japanese machine, maybe if it gets an international release they'll retool it.

TBF all they need to do is package an adaptoe with it.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 21, 2015 11:40 am

It runs Famicom, so will it not run NES stuff anyway? I thought the Famicom was the slightly better variant, with the NES dropping sound features, so would be forward compatible?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 21, 2015 11:44 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:It runs Famicom, so will it not run NES stuff anyway? I thought the Famicom was the slightly better variant, with the NES dropping sound features, so would be forward compatible?
Different pins, some versions of wrecking crew (NES) are just the Famicom cart with a pin converter

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 21, 2015 1:57 pm

That's what I was thinking. Is there not a cart adapter, much like the MD Powerbase?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu May 21, 2015 2:24 pm

NES is pretty common anyway, so you could probably pick up tons of clone systems that'll do NES. :lol:

But hey, I think its a worthy sacrifice for Japanese systems and much deserved TG/PCE love...
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Spector

Post by Spector » Thu May 21, 2015 5:16 pm

Does it play these games through emulation, or would they play like the real thing?
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:28 pm

I sold my Retron 5 to get one of these and I certainly don't regret it!

The console itself is tiny, about the same size as a standard USB hard drive. It slots into the back of an adaptor, which is where you put the actual games in. Theoretically I guess this means that they can release new adapters as the machine begins to support more systems (there is already an adapter available for SG-1000 games).

The big selling point of course is that you can rip the roms direct from the cartridge onto a micro SD card. You can then take the console out of the adapter, stick it in your pocket and take it round a mate's house. This does of course mean that you can just download roms off the interwebz and play then straight away, but if that kind of thing bothers you then here's the answer... don't do it.

Another main difference between the RF and the R5 is the controller. As we all know, the R5 controller is hands-down one of the worst pack-in controllers ever. In contrast though, the RF controller is absolutely fine. It's clearly modelled on the SNES controller and is comfortable to hold. The joypad isn't perfect and the buttons feel a little cheap, but on the whole it does the job. You can also plug in a Dualshock 3 or other USB controllers (no support for the 360 controller yet unfortunately), and the premium version comes with an adapter for MD/MS, SNES, NES and PCE. I think the UK edition will also include an adaptor to let you play NES games as well.

Anyway, that's my thoughts after owning one for a couple of months.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:01 pm

If it has hdmi out and it plays Everdrives then it will be an amazing machine

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:35 pm

Big Shoes wrote:If it has hdmi out and it plays Everdrives then it will be an amazing machine
If your just gonna play ROMs on a emulation machine
WHY NOT JUST BUY A Pi?

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:04 am

DPrinny wrote:
Big Shoes wrote:If it has hdmi out and it plays Everdrives then it will be an amazing machine
If your just gonna play ROMs on a emulation machine
WHY NOT JUST BUY A Pi?
Because i have a LOT of original games as well, and i only want to use the original controllers, I use the everdrives for the hard to get and expensive games that i do not own.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:54 am

Spector wrote:Does it play these games through emulation, or would they play like the real thing?
Its emulation (just like the retron 5), and possibly not always the most accurate or competent available. It just makes some people feel better about using their own software that they bought, rather than roms they were originally ripped from, or perhaps a better sense of nostalgia and value by inserting a physical cartridge. Using original controllers is the biggest selling point as far as I can see.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:38 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Spector wrote:Does it play these games through emulation, or would they play like the real thing?
Its emulation (just like the retron 5), and possibly not always the most accurate or competent available. It just makes some people feel better about using their own software that they bought, rather than roms they were originally ripped from, or perhaps a better sense of nostalgia and value by inserting a physical cartridge. Using original controllers is the biggest selling point as far as I can see.
This. Seph has nailed it. yes I can emulate any game any time.

But, I only like to use and play actual games I own, I like reading the manual, inserting the cart and playing the game. The buzz of ghetting a new game and playing it.

Looking along the shelf and choosing which game to play, yes its emulation but in effect you physically are still doing it the same way you always have.