DOOM the new one

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Matt_B

Re: DOOM the new one

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:30 am

Negative Creep wrote:We've only seen a little bit of the game so far though, I'm sure there will be hell levels that will help set it apart
You'd think so. With the previous version of Doom 4 reported being cancelled because it ended up far too much like a re-skinned CoD, I'd hope that they've managed to avoid falling into the same trap twice.

Churchy

Post by Churchy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:49 pm

Before E3 there wasn't really much to go one so I was a bit concerned beforehand. But so far, it looks pretty censored awesome. It seems to be making the most of technology but done with a straightforward no-nonsense mindset. And the map editor looks sweet. Bethesda put on a great show at E3 and this looked gloriously violent. Bring it on!

Misery

Post by Misery » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:43 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Anyway, back to DOOM

I really dont like that he has a double jump, that makes me think there might be platforming at some point
Interesting how Doom II had so twisted level designs and managed to work well without a jump button. :wink:

Jumping is the least of the issues I have with this game. I hope the PC version will be different to the console one since noone who plays shooters on the PC wants a weapon pop up menu that slows down the action. They should also cut down on the QTE takedowns which look like a lame and repeating gimmick that takes away control from the player. Lastly, some weapons need serious reworking. Here's some examples:

This is a shotgun:

http://www.writeups.org/img/inset/WLOCK ... tgun_h.jpg

This is not a shotgun (or is a very lame one):

http://ell.akamai.coub.com/get/b83/p/co ... _00026.jpg

This is a plasma gun:

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/doo ... 0622034054

This is not a plasma gun (or is a very lame one):

http://www.gamenews.io/wp-content/uploa ... 50x636.png

It's hard to say but I didn't think id needed basic schooling at their own game. But maybe what we who were growing up on Doom would rather see is simply a remake of the first two Dooms in modern graphics (atleast I would). :wink:

I have to agree with all of this. Particularly the QTE things. Chainsaw kills look like mini-cutscenes, and there's NOTHING in gaming I hate more than cutscenes. No exceptions. Well, maybe grinding... but that's another story.

In the previous games, I'd often do melee kills FREQUENTLY, either with the chainsaw or more likely with the berserk pack, since my natural tendency is to charge straight at everything to begin with. But in this game? Wont even pick up either the chainsaw OR the berserk pack (which I suspect will have the same issue, if it exists in this new game). I'd never, ever use them due to the stupid kill scene, so.... no reason to waste time grabbing them. Even the stupid "pick up the thing" animation takes way too long. Original games, you touched the weapon, the game made a noise, and BAM, you had it. No interruption of the action or overall pacing. This though looks like it's going to have LOTS of interruptions.

In all honesty, I'm expecting little from this game, and not getting my hopes up. The genre has disappointed me over and over and over and over and over and over again for years now, and not really expecting that to suddenly change. Doesnt help that this looks like it has a focus on visuals/graphics going a bit far (by my opinion, anyway). Though that's my usual thoughts on AAA games or similar things these days.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:42 pm

Misery wrote: I have to agree with all of this. Particularly the QTE things. Chainsaw kills look like mini-cutscenes, and there's NOTHING in gaming I hate more than cutscenes. No exceptions. Well, maybe grinding... but that's another story.

In the previous games, I'd often do melee kills FREQUENTLY, either with the chainsaw or more likely with the berserk pack, since my natural tendency is to charge straight at everything to begin with. But in this game? Wont even pick up either the chainsaw OR the berserk pack (which I suspect will have the same issue, if it exists in this new game). I'd never, ever use them due to the stupid kill scene, so.... no reason to waste time grabbing them. Even the stupid "pick up the thing" animation takes way too long. Original games, you touched the weapon, the game made a noise, and BAM, you had it. No interruption of the action or overall pacing. This though looks like it's going to have LOTS of interruptions.

In all honesty, I'm expecting little from this game, and not getting my hopes up. The genre has disappointed me over and over and over and over and over and over again for years now, and not really expecting that to suddenly change. Doesnt help that this looks like it has a focus on visuals/graphics going a bit far (by my opinion, anyway). Though that's my usual thoughts on AAA games or similar things these days.
Cut scenes are fine with me as long as they tell a meaningful story and they don't overdo with them, however in shooters I prefer if there is a minimum emphasis on story since it's not the point of such games (especially not Doom where the whole story looks like "you space marine on Mars base, experiment gone wrong, all hell break loose" :wink: ). But I know what you mean, that is gameplay interrupting cut-scenes that take control away from the player, aka quick time events. These date far back, to Dragon's Lair times, and while games like Shenmue did them pretty well, it's became a really annoying mechanic in modern "AAA" titles, Sony PlayStation's action titles (Uncharted, God of War, Last of Us, etc) being the biggest offenders, but the mechanic was incorporated into all sorts of other games too. It really begets the question whether we're supposed to watch games rather than actually play them.

By the way, not all modern shooters are "cookie cutter" ones which try to pose as "serious" but are really rather shallow and without any real value when you dig deeper into them. If you game on PC, I suggest you check out games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (great exploration shooter with strong horror elements), Serious Sam 3 (& both HD remakes of the first two games), Red Orchestra 2 (most authentic WW2 MP shooter out there), Shadow Warrior (also ported to consoles; excellent looking sequel in the making), Planetside 2 (massive MP F2P sci-fi shooter; now also on PS4) and maybe even the ArmA games, which are more military simulators than traditional first-person shooters but can be modded to pretty much anything (Day-Z is proof of this). There are some old classics you might have overlooked too such as No One Lives Forever and Project IGI, both shooters with very strong stealth elements.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:26 pm

Misery wrote:Even the stupid "pick up the thing" animation takes way too long. Original games, you touched the weapon, the game made a noise, and BAM, you had it.
I actually like the look of those small animations when ripping a gun from a corpse's body - it looks cool. The game in general looks like a weird halfway point between Doom and Doom 3 - not appearing to fully sit on either side of the fence - so I'm not sure I'd enjoy it as much as either of those but based on what we've seen so far, I'd certainly buy the game and give it a go.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:34 pm

http://kotaku.com/new-doom-combines-old ... 1720457613
In the new Doom you can only carry two guns and one item (say, grenades or a teleporter) per loadout, and in the demo we could only switch between two custom loadouts per game.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:58 pm

Call of Doom it its then.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:05 pm

It could just be in mutli player only

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:10 am

^ They mention Loadouts, so I'm guessing it's for the MP.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:08 pm

I've heard the MP part is supposed to be a lot like Quake 3 Arena. I will believe it when I see or play it. It indeed seems like some Call of Duty was poured into Doom...

And slightly off-topic but you all should check out Prey if you haven't yet. I was re-playing thru it again recently and I have to commend it. Great use of gravity and portal mechanics and the game still looks good too. A great alien sci-fi metallish/organic feel to it. Shame that the sequel was killed off.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:04 am

outdated_gamer wrote:And slightly off-topic but you all should check out Prey if you haven't yet. I was re-playing thru it again recently and I have to commend it. Great use of gravity and portal mechanics and the game still looks good too.
Not entirely off topic - it does use the Doom 3 engine I guess. Good game though, well worth tracking a copy down. Game were selling the PC version for, like, £2 at one point!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:47 pm

theantmeister wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:And slightly off-topic but you all should check out Prey if you haven't yet. I was re-playing thru it again recently and I have to commend it. Great use of gravity and portal mechanics and the game still looks good too.
Not entirely off topic - it does use the Doom 3 engine I guess. Good game though, well worth tracking a copy down. Game were selling the PC version for, like, £2 at one point!
Never got on with Prey, it wasn't fun to play and just felt mean-spirited. Props for not having the standard white guy/sexy girl protagonist but did they have to make him so bland? I'm just here for Jen!

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:21 am

New trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybo30QlSk64

Looks quite good. Yes it's modern Doom designed for CoD kiddies and gamepad users, but it still is Doom and I have to admit that I don't know how exactly they could evolve the franchise other than making a remake of the first two games in better graphics which would only really appeal to us, "old-school" players. Maybe more people will learn that Doom guy pre-dates Master Chief too and that gore in shooters is a welcome thing (almost rarity in today's ultra-PC times - that other meaning, not the system description).

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:02 am

Hmm, that trailer. If anything I'm less interested in the new Doom after watching that.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:46 am

The melee mechanic will either spice the game up or make it a chore to play after a while. I still think the gunplay itself will be good though, every id game had good gunplay, even the not so warmly received Rage. It just won't be any industry standard setter like id's games used to be in the past. But that was a different kind of id which ceased to exist after the 90s (a bit like the Nintendo-era Rare).