DOOM the new one

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
Negative Creep
Posts: 3842
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 am
Location: Rochester, Kent

Re: DOOM the new one

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:13 pm

Dear Points of View

OMG I CANT BELEEVE WHUT THATCHER AS DUN 2 THE MINERS SHE SHUD GTFO NOW!!!!11!!1

Yours sincerely

Mr S, Bolton
Image

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24356
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: DOOM the new one

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:23 pm

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/23/883329 ... s-violence

Bethesda has the responce
"If you're not into violent, bloody games... Doom's probably not a game for you," Hines said. "I told my 11-year-old: you can watch the press conference, you can watch the opening stuff, but you can't watch any of the Doom stuff. And then you can tune back in and watch the other stuff because even the Fallout stuff, other than Todd [Howard]'s terrible potty mouth, is fine."

This is a game that's built from the ground up to give you an environment where it's not only OK to explore your own violent and sadistic tendencies, it's designed to allow you to do so on non-human enemies. "Look, it's a game that definitely embraces over the top violence and tries to do it in a way that's fun," Hines said. "You're doing it to demons. If you were doing it to human beings in a very realistic setting you'd have a very different take."
Im still surprised there next to no backlash over MK 10s (lost count cant be arsed to google) level of violence, its much more gruesome and unlike with DOOM its on humans

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5250
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: DOOM the new one

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:23 pm

There's not really much of a backlash to be honest, just a few jumped up Twitter trolls who are getting far more attention than they deserve.

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Re: DOOM the new one

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:46 pm

Meh, more drama over nothing again. Apparently chainsawing monsters in Gears of War was a-okay but Doom is such a meanie game that it should be banned and censored. Also let's not forget about RE4 on "kiddiecube", it even came with a fitting controller. :wink:

If parents don't want their kids playing violent games they should not buy them. Ratings are there for a reason.

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5250
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: DOOM the new one

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:57 am

outdated_gamer wrote:Meh, more drama over nothing again. Apparently chainsawing monsters in Gears of War was a-okay but Doom is such a meanie game that it should be banned and censored. Also let's not forget about RE4 on "kiddiecube", it even came with a fitting controller. :wink:

If parents don't want their kids playing violent games they should not buy them. Ratings are there for a reason.
To be fair to Sarkeesian, I don't think she's ever taken a pro-censorship stance. Her message all along just seems to be that games, even the most innocuous looking ones, are riddled with sexism and violence that we don't even notice. Presumably, once you've stopped laughing enough to pick your sides up off the floor, you can still give them a go with her blessing.

So far as age ratings go, they're a good idea but there's such blanket ignorance of them from parents that any who do decide to abide them will likely find their children under peer pressure from those whose parents don't have a problem with seven year olds playing eighteen rated games and the like. Still, suffice it to say that any children visiting this household can play as much Splatoon and Yoshi's Wooly World as the like, but they'll have to wait until they get back home before getting their GTA/Mortal Kombat fix.

User avatar
Sel Feena
Posts: 3506
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: DOOM the new one

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:58 am

Anyone seeing those altered images floating around, where the 'pee filter' is taken off? Looks miles better! Hopefully Id/Beth take note.
Image

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5250
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: DOOM the new one

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:24 am

Sel Feena wrote:Anyone seeing those altered images floating around, where the 'pee filter' is taken off? Looks miles better! Hopefully Id/Beth take note.
I doubt they're going to change things much at this stage in the project, but I'm sure some modders will do their level best to give it the classic look, as well as the levels, sound effects and music, no doubt.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24356
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: DOOM the new one

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:46 am

Matt_B wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:Meh, more drama over nothing again. Apparently chainsawing monsters in Gears of War was a-okay but Doom is such a meanie game that it should be banned and censored. Also let's not forget about RE4 on "kiddiecube", it even came with a fitting controller. :wink:

If parents don't want their kids playing violent games they should not buy them. Ratings are there for a reason.
To be fair to Sarkeesian, I don't think she's ever taken a pro-censorship stance. Her message all along just seems to be that games, even the most innocuous looking ones, are riddled with sexism and violence that we don't even notice. Presumably, once you've stopped laughing enough to pick your sides up off the floor, you can still give them a go with her blessing.
Problem is with her is, she is very ill informed with a very biased look at things, its almost like she just glances at all the words on her screen then forms an opinion on about 5 of them.

also look at blokes in games.
NOT ALL OF US ARE MUSCLE-BOUND FREAKS!!

<insert image>

User avatar
Sel Feena
Posts: 3506
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: DOOM the new one

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:03 am

^ Male power fantasy, is the stock reply used when you point that out.
Image

User avatar
The Beans
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: DOOM the new one

Post by The Beans » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:50 pm

DPrinny wrote: Problem is with her is, she is very ill informed with a very biased look at things, its almost like she just glances at all the words on her screen then forms an opinion on about 5 of them.
Since that's the definitive description of nearly every single person who has ever posted on a gaming forum in the history of, like, forever, it seems a bit punitive to pull her up on it really.

She's mental though. Wouldn't like to be stuck in a lift with her. I think I'd strangle her.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24356
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: DOOM the new one

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:01 pm

Anyway, back to DOOM

I really dont like that he has a double jump, that makes me think there might be platforming at some point

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Re: DOOM the new one

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:18 pm

DPrinny wrote:Anyway, back to DOOM

I really dont like that he has a double jump, that makes me think there might be platforming at some point
Interesting how Doom II had so twisted level designs and managed to work well without a jump button. :wink:

Jumping is the least of the issues I have with this game. I hope the PC version will be different to the console one since noone who plays shooters on the PC wants a weapon pop up menu that slows down the action. They should also cut down on the QTE takedowns which look like a lame and repeating gimmick that takes away control from the player. Lastly, some weapons need serious reworking. Here's some examples:

This is a shotgun:

http://www.writeups.org/img/inset/WLOCK ... tgun_h.jpg

This is not a shotgun (or is a very lame one):

http://ell.akamai.coub.com/get/b83/p/co ... _00026.jpg

This is a plasma gun:

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/doo ... 0622034054

This is not a plasma gun (or is a very lame one):

http://www.gamenews.io/wp-content/uploa ... 50x636.png


It's hard to say but I didn't think id needed basic schooling at their own game. But maybe what we who were growing up on Doom would rather see is simply a remake of the first two Dooms in modern graphics (atleast I would). :wink:

User avatar
Negative Creep
Posts: 3842
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 am
Location: Rochester, Kent

Re: DOOM the new one

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:41 pm

Was Doom this first FPS to use a shotgun? Certainly one of the most influential as I can't think of a single game that doesn't have one (or an equivalent) off the top of my head. I always thought Doom 2's plasma gun was pretty weak, the shots slowly dribbled out instead of filling the screen with blue fury like the old one but that aside they were great. On that topic, one of the things I hated about Doom 64 and Quake 1 was how they got rid of the shotgun reload animation
Image

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Re: DOOM the new one

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:21 am

^yes, Doom was the first shooter to popularize the shotty. You could finish the whole game using just the shotty and it's also my fave gun in the game. By comparison this new shotgun looks lame and weak. The plasma gun in first two Dooms, Quake 3 and Doom 3 was a neat little beast, but this new one looks like some incredibly generic gun. The overall feel of this new Doom is that it feels just so damn generic and without character that it could be confused for any other shooter would it not have the extra gore and demons. This is very bad for a game with such a legacy to it. It's Doom after all, not "just another shooter", so expectations are supposed to be much higher. :wink:

User avatar
Negative Creep
Posts: 3842
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 am
Location: Rochester, Kent

Re: DOOM the new one

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:29 am

We've only seen a little bit of the game so far though, I'm sure there will be hell levels that will help set it apart
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests