DOOM the new one

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

stayAwhile

Re: DOOM the new one

Post by stayAwhile » Mon May 30, 2016 11:05 am

Rayne wrote:Just a heads up - I see that GAME are doing the collector's edition (with statue) at £59.99 this weekend. It might be labelled at £99.99 but it'll scan through at the reduced price.

A bit miffed as I just paid £45 for a regular edition (well, £10 after trades), doh! :lol:
i paid £0 i traded old stuff in and got a £60 psn top up and preloaded
This guy are sick

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon May 30, 2016 4:42 pm

http://gadgetzz.com/2016/05/30/hidden-i ... oundtrack/

Hidden images in the soundtrack

Pentagrams and 666 are found

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:11 pm

Doom is joining the VR scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLmiH0-qVGA

It will still be a while before I actually get a VR headset, but it looks pretty cool, a lot like Serious Sam VR.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:20 pm

Its not DOOM

No free movement

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:29 am

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:20 pm
Its not DOOM

No free movement
The "grappling hook" mechanic used to be quite popular in several arena shooters and infact allows for greater freedom of movement than the usual run/strafe/jump combination. The free and open source Xonotic [Windows/Linux/Mac] is using it to great extent in some of it's gameplay modes. It's true that Doom represented a seperation from the traditional first-person "light gun" or "shooting gallery" games that were previously popular in that it had the freedom of movement, but as I said that sort of "spiderman" movement can actually be pretty useful for reaching remote places in an instant. The only other alternative I see is if they supported pedals so owners of racing setups could use those for something more than just racing games. :wink:

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:37 am

About VR - Doom 3 is actually more suited for VR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCqVtYmt2K0

It might not be a very good Doom game but it's an excellent horror shooter (although Alien Isolation is even better here). It seems they trully did design it with the future in mind.

Anyhow, I grabbed myself the new Doom with all free DLCs, it seemed like a good deal, even though I'm not too big on MP content (I would prefer more SP stuff). They might already be working on a sequel in which case I hope for a trip back to Earth aka a tribute to Doom II's "Hell on Earth" theme.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:37 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:37 am
About VR - Doom 3 is actually more suited for VR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCqVtYmt2K0

It might not be a very good Doom game but it's an excellent horror shooter (although Alien Isolation is even better here). It seems they trully did design it with the future in mind.

Anyhow, I grabbed myself the new Doom with all free DLCs, it seemed like a good deal, even though I'm not too big on MP content (I would prefer more SP stuff). They might already be working on a sequel in which case I hope for a trip back to Earth aka a tribute to Doom II's "Hell on Earth" theme.
I loved doom 3 but it wasnt really doom
This guy are sick

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:21 am

I did try the new MP system - played 3 games and ended up with a K/D ratio of about 0.1, so think I'll stick to the single player from now on.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:38 pm

stayAwhile wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:37 pm
I loved doom 3 but it wasnt really doom
It was a dark, gritty and slow re-imagining of Doom. As I said it succeeded at what it set to be - a horror shooter game with amazing graphics and atmosphere for it's time - but failed at being a good successor to Doom II (it was more a successor to Doom 64 tbh). The new reboot is more faithful to that sort of Arcade-style gameplay that the first two games were known for.

Negative Creep wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:21 am
I did try the new MP system - played 3 games and ended up with a K/D ratio of about 0.1, so think I'll stick to the single player from now on.
It's a bit strange they put so much emphasis on MP when their entirely MP focused game, Quake Champions, is about to be released soon anyway. I like some co-op MP and sometimes some PVP too, but I agree that more SP content would be better. But if they're already making the sequel, I guess the SP ideas and content will be kept for it.