PS1 games that are still half decent today

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sephiroth81

Re: PS1 games that are still half decent today

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:08 am

gman72 wrote:Oh, ffs :roll:
Easy gman, lets just hold hands and continue our good friendship :D :P

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed May 13, 2015 10:57 am

Been playing a bit of einhander, that holds up well in my eyes.

David

Post by David » Wed May 13, 2015 12:46 pm

Been playing ridge racer and rayman today. Brilliant stuff

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed May 13, 2015 1:07 pm

If you like point and click style adventures you should get in the Discworld games. They also look lovely.

Spirit of AHB

Post by Spirit of AHB » Wed May 13, 2015 1:24 pm

i think crash team racing holds up well compare to other kart racers for its time probabley speed freaks as well

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Wed May 13, 2015 2:30 pm

Try Resident Evil 1 to 3, Dino Crisis 1 & 2 & Vib Ribbon.
Also try out the Crash Bandicoot series, Desert Strike, Jungle Strike & Sovlit Strike

Sam_P

Post by Sam_P » Wed May 13, 2015 3:44 pm

I still play Rayman and Ridge Racer Revolution to this day, two classics that'll never get old IMO.

Probably lesser known, but Rosco McQueen and Gex: Deep Cover Gecko still provide bags of entertainment for me.

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed May 13, 2015 4:20 pm

Have Ridge Racer 4, Resident Evil 2 and Pro Evolution 2 currently on my PSP.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Wed May 13, 2015 4:56 pm

In terms of Point & Clicks, Broken Sword 1 & 2 were also on the Playstation if memory serves me correctly - I kinda remember them needing an entire memory card to save though which wasn't so hot.
Where logic won't work, I will

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed May 13, 2015 5:19 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Haha. RAHHHHHH TOO LATE, I'VE TURNED UP NOW TO censored ON YOUR SILLY JXD PARADE! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Shin, if you only judge it by the screen then its good (unless you get a dead pixel, which is commonplace for JXD screens), but for emulation accuracy and the dodgy physical controls, and battery life - its not very good. Vita and PSP are better in all regards, although you'd probably have to pay for the Vita PSN games (you can get away with not doing that on the PSP still). PSN has an enormous selection of PS1 games, and because its using an official emulator, you'll have a lot less grief with it and know it won't break or glitch. Plus you have the choice of purchasing them if you feel guilty about piracy....or you can just download them, just as you can download ROMs, for the PSP and JXD.

Oh, and i've now officially tried a JXD 7800B, so not just going by evidence of others or using previous or other models in their range. Its met my expectations (ie good, but still has the flaws I expected or already heard about or anticipated).
I used to have a PSP and enjoyed playing PS1 Parasite Eve and Resident Evil 3 on it, unfortunately Time Gal the game I wanted the most I could never get to work.. I though Snes, amiga,and N64 emulation was terrible just unplayable, comparing my Super Famicom Ninja Warriors again to the PSP it was like the Ninja's where walking through treacle.. The PSP couldn't emulate the PC Engine or Commodore +4 properly, PC Engine through Hugo wouldn't load most games and the one's that did work where glitched and unplayable wrong colours terribly emulated sound slowdown etc..

The CPS1 and 2 and Neo Emu where great but I just came to the conclusion I had all these games and all I was playing was Cadillac's and Dinosaurs and Punisher with is my biggest problem with emulation you have all these roms you don't play anything, and I'd rather play the original hardware.. Don't understand why people say I put 500 Megadrive roms on my PSP how many will they play? I've been using the DS with a RG for emulation namely Spectrum, Coleco and Mame as the touch screen works better for these computers, and Amstard Sorcery and I have a 3DS I've hardly touched apart from Out Run..

The JXD for me is the size got small hands and at least in work I can put the DS or PSP in my pocket when I'm called but they keep me so busy these days in work I don't have time to play it, at least I'm earning my money :lol:

I'm tempted to get either a Vita with Gravity Rush or Firmware hack another PSP, as some scummy tea leaf stole my old PSP from the work staff room..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed May 13, 2015 6:11 pm

X-Com Enemy Unknown still plays really well

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed May 13, 2015 7:22 pm

Parappa is still great.

I can still play through Tony Hawk 1 and 2 and really enjoy them too.

Oh and Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. The top down one ie: the good one.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu May 14, 2015 7:54 am

So what this thread proves is that there are a huge amount of PS1 games that still hold up today and those that don't like wobbly, jaggy visuals can go back to their blurry, muddy textures of the N64 :wink:

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu May 14, 2015 8:31 am

Joey wrote:So what this thread proves is that there are a huge amount of PS1 games that still hold up today and those that don't like wobbly, jaggy visuals can go back to their blurry, muddy textures of the N64 :wink:
Yay, its 1997 all over again! WAAAARR!

Although to be fair to the N64, the specific Virtual Console releases that run at 480p on the Wii look quite nice still. Mario Kart 64 looks lovely, as do a few others.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu May 14, 2015 2:12 pm

Joey wrote:So what this thread proves is that there are a huge amount of PS1 games that still hold up today and those that don't like wobbly, jaggy visuals can go back to their blurry, muddy textures of the N64 :wink:
Blurry textures > pixelated textures :wink:

Although pixleation has a certain charm of it's own, when used for aesthetic purposes.