PS1 games that are still half decent today

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Re: PS1 games that are still half decent today

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 12, 2015 4:30 pm

joefish wrote:If you've got a CRT TV then there are two Point Blank light-gun games
There are three Point Blank games on PS1, as well as the spin off Ghoul Panic.

If you're going for gun games, I'd always recommend the first Die Hard Trilogy game. The other parts are still fun too, though the first part always looked a bit clunky.

I prefer Wipeout 2097 to Wipeout 3. The latter may allegedly be technically superior, but I like the cleaner visuals of the second iteration. That said, if you get Wipeout 3 Special Edition, that has tracks from all 3 games included.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Tue May 12, 2015 6:09 pm

Some people will argue that Vagrant Story & Metal Gear Solid look great when played on the PS2 with the texture smoothing enabled, but I prefer playing on the original hardware personally.

Games I still feel hold up well include

Command & Conquer, C&C : Red Alert and C&C Retaliation - Yes, the controls take a little getting used to, but these still get the most playtime on my Playstation.

Ridge Racer Type 4 - The last Ridge Racer on the original Playstation, but it's still a great game

Final Fantasy 8 - Less popular than 7 & 9, I still enjoy this one the most.

Vagrant Story - Ah yes, the classic "hardcore" RPG that turned out to be a little "too" hardcore for the Squaresoft fans of the time. Still looks & plays great.
Where logic won't work, I will

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue May 12, 2015 6:37 pm

Sel Feena wrote:Jumping Flash looks as good as ever, as do the Destruction Derby games.
Destruction Derby 1 is pretty crap these days - very narrow courses that are no fun to drive around. The sequel is awesome though and a perfect example of how to improve on a promising formula. Gran Turismo 1 and 2, Motorhead and Wipeout 2097 still stand up really well though

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue May 12, 2015 6:42 pm

Rollcage 1 or 2, Motorhead and Future Cop LAPD. The last one is brilliant in two player mode! :)
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue May 12, 2015 6:44 pm

The Suikodens are still fantastic, number 2 is better looking than number 1 though.

Eat your nans pants

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue May 12, 2015 6:56 pm

gman72 wrote: As previously mentioned playing some of the 3D games on a smaller screen like a VITA or JXD vastly improves the way they look in quite a big way but on big TV's many of the 3D games no longer look great, however this is because you compare it to modern game standards which is a little unfair as we don't judge other retro games by modern yard sticks. :D
I heard on this forum that PS1 JXD emulation isn't very good :lol: :wink: :lol: Sorry couldn't resist
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue May 12, 2015 7:01 pm

Hot Blooded Family still looks great
Rapid Reload is a 2d nicer looking Gunstar Heroes clone
Parasite Eve still looks and plays brilliant Parasite Eve 2 doesn't look as good and the last 2 bosses take half an hour to beat
Both Castlevania's look great
Kula World

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue May 12, 2015 7:10 pm

Shinobi wrote:
gman72 wrote: As previously mentioned playing some of the 3D games on a smaller screen like a VITA or JXD vastly improves the way they look in quite a big way but on big TV's many of the 3D games no longer look great, however this is because you compare it to modern game standards which is a little unfair as we don't judge other retro games by modern yard sticks. :D
I heard on this forum that PS1 JXD emulation isn't very good :lol: :wink: :lol: Sorry couldn't resist
Well it may not be perfect, Shin, but it is very good. Now sssshhhhhh before you know who turns up. :wink:

Also Gradius Gaiden looks great and R type delta.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue May 12, 2015 7:22 pm

gman72 wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
Well it may not be perfect, Shin, but it is very good. Now sssshhhhhh before you know who turns up. :wink:

Also Gradius Gaiden looks great and R type delta.
That reminds are the other PS1 Castlevania's any good, I think it was a conversion of the x68000 Castlevania graphically looks really good? Can't remember much about it only it being really hard and not having as much control over the whip as in the Snes version.. When I googled PS1 Castlevania it came up with Chronicles

Maybe I'm misremembering it but I'm sure you played as a female or a effeminate looking guy with red I'm sure it didn't look quite like this

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue May 12, 2015 10:40 pm

Essentially anything 2D - Castlevania, Rayman, Metal Slug, Mega Man, etc.

In terms of early 3D I find it really suffers on PS1. I can still play through Metal Gear Solid and enjoy it. I also find Crash Bandicoot, Croc & Spyro the Dragon hold up quite well.

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Wed May 13, 2015 7:03 am

Yes, ironically, it's usually the games that were marked down by critics for looking too 16-bit at the time (of which Symphony of the Night was not immune) that look best today.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Wed May 13, 2015 7:56 am

Muppet Racemania still looks and plays beautiful
Going Solo...................

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Wed May 13, 2015 8:05 am

The Colony Wars games.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed May 13, 2015 8:22 am

gman72 wrote:
Shinobi wrote:

Haha. RAHHHHHH TOO LATE, I'VE TURNED UP NOW TO censored ON YOUR SILLY JXD PARADE! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Shin, if you only judge it by the screen then its good (unless you get a dead pixel, which is commonplace for JXD screens), but for emulation accuracy and the dodgy physical controls, and battery life - its not very good. Vita and PSP are better in all regards, although you'd probably have to pay for the Vita PSN games (you can get away with not doing that on the PSP still). PSN has an enormous selection of PS1 games, and because its using an official emulator, you'll have a lot less grief with it and know it won't break or glitch. Plus you have the choice of purchasing them if you feel guilty about piracy....or you can just download them, just as you can download ROMs, for the PSP and JXD.

Oh, and i've now officially tried a JXD 7800B, so not just going by evidence of others or using previous or other models in their range. Its met my expectations (ie good, but still has the flaws I expected or already heard about or anticipated).

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:03 am

Oh, ffs :roll:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD