PS1 games that are still half decent today

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

David

PS1 games that are still half decent today

Post by David » Mon May 11, 2015 6:39 pm

I know lost of the early 3D stuff looks terrible nowadays,

I have an old original playstation with Rayman and Soviet Strike

Its just got the rf cable so have ordered an AV cable from amazon to make look slightly better on lcd tv. Also ordered Ridge Racer

Any more suggestions for games that stand up well today? I know there are PS1 threads but they are more of peoples fave games not which ones are still playable/decent looking

I am also looking for the following if anyone has them:

Doom
Alien Trilogy
Goalstorm
WrestleMania arcade game
Nba jam: T.e.
Mortal Kombat 3 / Trilogy

Sel Feena

Re: PS1 games that are still half decent today

Post by Sel Feena » Mon May 11, 2015 6:44 pm

Jumping Flash looks as good as ever, as do the Destruction Derby games.

David

Post by David » Mon May 11, 2015 6:48 pm

Only ever played the demo of jumping flash, remember it was very disorientating!

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon May 11, 2015 6:49 pm

Wip3out and Ridge Racer 4 still look and play well.
2015 NL East Division Champions.
2015 NL Championship Winners.
Let's Go Mets!

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon May 11, 2015 9:30 pm

Early 3D games are a product of their time. They may not look very good in today's times but back then almost everyone was amazed by being able to play 3D games on their new 32-bit/64-bit system of choice. Of course the tech back then was limited, especially the consoles (the "3D accelerated/SVGA" PC games and Arcade games of the time look better), so the graphics may appear overtly jaggy/pixely/shaky or fuzzy/blurry/foggy, especially when connected to a modern HD screen. Those early 3D consoles were designed with old CRT TVs in mind, which often hid a lot of the graphical shortcommings due to the generally less defined picture (CRT monitors on the other hand already had a pretty sharp and high-res picture, hence PC and Arcade games having increased graphical fidelity).

In my view, there are no "aged" games as long as you still enjoy them. It's successors or rival games may have improved upon them in various ways, people still have sentiments about the games they enjoyed back then and will often return back to them.

The PS1 games I find enjoyable are Tekken 3, Gran Turismo 1 & 2, Soul Reaver (played it on PC but it's same game at core), Rayman, Klonoa, Crash Bandicoot 3, Ridge Racer Type 4, Colin McRae Rally 2.0 (way better on PC but PS1 version is enjoyable too), TOCA 2 (see CMR2), Resident Evil 2 (PS1 version is the original one), Metal Gear Solid, Spyro The Dragon (not on level of Mario 64 and Banjo imo but still enjoyable), Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Doom (PS1 version is good but I suggest checking out the PC or PSN/XBLA version too), Quake II (a bit different to the PC original and worth checking out), Soul Blade (predecessor to Soul Calibur), Mega Man X4, Mortal Kombat 3, Street Fighter Alpha 2 & 3, etc. No opinion on it's RPGs because I generally don't play Japanese RPGs.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon May 11, 2015 9:44 pm

Chrono Cross is still a beauty.
Last edited by Hiro on Tue May 12, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon May 11, 2015 9:50 pm

Driver is still cool and fun
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon May 11, 2015 9:52 pm

Rapid reload, Lomax the lemming, Wipeout 3, Bishi bashi special (only with three people and alcohol), ill look on the shelf
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon May 11, 2015 9:54 pm

Ridge Racer Revolution- the best in the series imho. Also Tomb Raider 1.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue May 12, 2015 7:19 am

To be fair a lot of Ps1 games still hold their own if played on the right thing. I use my PSP and still enjoy stuff like Tobal No 1 , Vagrant Story and the Crash / Spyro series.
Played on a big screen they can be a bit distractingly ugly and garish.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Tue May 12, 2015 8:21 am

A lot of PS1 games have aged well, from a visual perspective perhaps not so much, but gameplay wise I still enjoy a lot of them to this day.

Here are a few I like to revisit...Suikoden*, Final Fantasy VII & IX, Crash Bandicoot 1, 2 & 3, Spyro The Dragon, Abe's Oddysee, Abe's Exodus & Tekken 3

*Not played the sequel yet, so can't include it...I imagine I'll enjoy it though.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Tue May 12, 2015 1:30 pm

I cant think of many true pinball,hogs of war,ehrgeiz
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue May 12, 2015 3:49 pm

There are many that still look nice. Pretty much any 2D game of Japanese origin still looks great as does a large portion of the machines 2D canon in general. Symphony Of The Night looks amazing by anyone standards. As previously mentioned playing some of the 3D games on a smaller screen like a VITA or JXD vastly improves the way they look in quite a big way but on big TV's many of the 3D games no longer look great, however this is because you compare it to modern game standards which is a little unfair as we don't judge other retro games by modern yard sticks. The PS1 has to suffer this because of it's pioneering status as a 3D workhorse, and as has also been mentioned, we must not forget that at the time we were wowwed by the blocky, shivering 3D worlds of Lara Croft and co. All of that said there are still some nice looking 3D games on the machine. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue May 12, 2015 6:21 pm

A lot of NAMCO's stuff relied on smooth shaded objects with textures for detail; graphics that relied on textured everything look blocky and dated.
So Ridge Racer Revolution and Rage Racer still look and play great. Tekken 3 is impressive. Spyro and Crash Bandicoot too.
2D still looks sharp, so Abe's Oddysee, Rayman, Lomax and Alundra. Of FPSs, Disruptor was impressive, but you may find the fogging and the flat scaling sprites a bit old-hat.
If you've got a CRT TV then there are two Point Blank light-gun games, and Time Crisis is still a fun game.
Colony Wars and Gran Turismo still look good and play just as well.
And of course there's great arcade conversions and updates like The Raiden Project, R-Types and Tempest X.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue May 12, 2015 8:28 pm

If you like Soviet Strike, then Nuclear Strike is still a good blast, I would also consider the Raiden Project, Loaded, Soul Blade, Die Hard Trilogy, just for the second part, which with a lightgun is still a brilliant and very noisy action fest, Raystorm, and the Descent games are still good to play, although I prefer the PC versions through DOSbox.

I also still like a go on Warhawk, Rapid Reload and Jumping Flash, the PS One is not a bad console for it's age really.