Best version of Tetris?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

gunbladelad

Re: Best version of Tetris?

Post by gunbladelad » Tue May 12, 2015 10:01 pm

OK, Ex_Mosquito, we're not arguing technical stuff here - we're simply discussing what each of us feel to be the best version of Tetris that each of us have played. For most of us this seems to be the Game Boy version (which - as I said away back at the start of the topic I agree with).

For most of us it's a mixture between nostalgia (for those of us who actually stopped playing - you can't argue "rose-tinted glasses" in regards to those who've consistently played it since release) and what we each - personally - find better for ourselves. I don't claim to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of every single version of Tetris that's ever been created. I've played a several handheld versions, a few on console and a couple on the CPC. For me the best one still remains the replayability and pacing of the Game Boy version

Yes, we get that you disagree with that opinion, but until they make some form of hyper-augmented virtual 3D Tetris running on a Quantum computer and sent directly into our brains faster than the speed of light then there'll always be disputes about what the most technically advanced version of the game (which might I add is all about forming rows based on various arrangements of 4 square blocks) actually is.

Anyway, can we please move on and get back to actually enjoying the flipping game itself - regardless of which version we enjoy?
Where logic won't work, I will

Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito » Tue May 12, 2015 10:10 pm

No, but to say you prefer X over Y but have never played Y, you come across as just someone making noise for the sake of making noise.

I RECOMMENDED to fans of the GB version that there is a much more refined version of Tetris that they should take a look at if they're a passionate Tetris fan. I used to think the GB version was one of the best but when I got to play TGM for a few hours it blew my mind how polished and well designed the rotation system is and the subtle gameplay nuances are that make it a joy to play, it's a masterpiece imo. Unfortunalty it's only drawback is that it's only really playable via emulation or if you buy the arcade PCB. It's truly a hidden gem. It was made by Ex-80's early 90's Capcom employees which is always a bonus.

I'm not bothered you got offended by my passion for the series, I just wanted to get the word out.

For the record I still play the GB version regularly. My personal high from a month ago.

My Arcade Videogame Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue May 12, 2015 10:22 pm

Thats a silly argument though.

What about when we askk people what the best console is.

are we just going to tell people who have never played a Neogeo or pc engine for example to shut up.

What about best mario game, come back and give me an opinion when you have tried Hotle mario, and mario is missing.

Are thses people just making noise for the sake of it, no they are not, they are giving valid opinions based on what they have played.

Its a given when this type of question is asked that its based on preference and what games oyu have knowledge of.

Its fine to point out new versions that people are unaware of, but to wave them away like you have done is highly insulting.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Tue May 12, 2015 10:26 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
aztecca wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:
Can't stand smug " look at me, I know what I am talking about and everyone else is an idiot. Please just let me explaine How I am completely right and talk down to you at the same time " type of people. The type of people who can't possibly comprehend some people may prefer a different verison than them.

can we stay on topic please.

That thread is done with, and we disagreed with each other. thats where it ended, in that thread. There is no point in you holding a grudge and follwing me into other threads and derailing it because you can't let things go.

I had completly forgot about the pirate thread.Twaz yourself who brought that up.The quote is one of your comments from a couple of paged back towards ex mosquito.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito » Tue May 12, 2015 10:29 pm

I realise I'm just pissing in the wind talking to you, noted.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue May 12, 2015 10:30 pm

whatever it is, you seem to have an issue with me. You could at least make an effort to contribute to the thread before tyring to start something.

So what is you favorite version of Tetris?

As for issues between me and you, you have obviously just automatically sided with whoever it is I am arguing with, If so do you actually agree with his standpoint on having to have played every single version of tetris before you are allowed an opinion.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue May 12, 2015 10:31 pm

Ex_Mosquito wrote:I realise I'm just pissing in the wind talking to you, noted.
But your entire argument is flawed, you have basically said that every persons opinion in this thread is worthless because they have not played the veriosn you consider to be the best.

Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito » Tue May 12, 2015 10:38 pm

Erm, no I didn't. I've had it talking to you from now on. I have experienced people like you before and it just never ends.

Cheers.
Last edited by Ex_Mosquito on Tue May 12, 2015 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue May 12, 2015 10:40 pm

Ex_Mosquito wrote:Erm, no I didn't.
?

" you havnt played the TGM series? How can value any of your videogame recommendations "

Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito » Tue May 12, 2015 10:43 pm

I admit defeat, mate. Carry on talking to yourself, I'm done with trying to explain myself to you. Pointless.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue May 12, 2015 10:45 pm

Ex_Mosquito wrote:I admit defeat, mate. Carry on talking to yourself, I'm done with trying to explain myself to you. Pointless.
Wait a minute. how else do you explain that comment then.

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun May 17, 2015 8:58 pm

Best version? Tetris is many things to different people. The elite players go for stuff like TGM because of its features that promote speed play. The TGM series looks like a brilliant version but I doubt the majority would appreciate its subtleties. The GB version is still perfectly playable but the problem with many older versions is that they don't have some of the improvements that Tetris has had over the years.

Newer versions have subtle improvements that once experienced make it hard to go back. Wall kicking is one example. In newer games if you rotate a piece while it is touching the side of the well the game will move the piece out from the wall one space and rotate it for you. In older games the piece won't rotate - it doesn't sound like a big deal but it really does make a difference.

The point is most versions are great simply because Tetris is a great game. Here's my collection of console versions:

Most versions here have something going for them. Tetris S is a bit of a stinker though - the control needs updating and the multiplayer has dodgy attacks that just doesn't feel right. Overall presentation is pretty ropey too. Tetris 4D has the distinction of being the only DC game I have heard of that doesn't support the VMU for saving - hard to believe. It is a decent game though and supports 4 players.

My go to version now is Tetris Party Deluxe on Wii - loads (and loads!) of new Tetris based games in addition to a sold version of the classic game and all with nice multi-player modes.

Fans should check out Nullpomino - a quite brilliant free version for Mac and PC which can be tweaked to play like any version ever created (and it has Dr Mario and Puzzle fighter modes in there for good measure) with online support.
Last edited by davyK on Sun May 17, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:02 pm

original Gameboy
DS

phil8715

Post by phil8715 » Mon May 18, 2015 12:48 am

My personal favourite Tetris version is the Mame arcade version. Then probably the gameboy Tetris.

I have a PSP chocked full of emulators and games and I actually have a rom of the very rare Sega Tetris.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon May 18, 2015 7:59 am

davyK wrote:Here's my collection of console versions:
What no Mega Drive version?! :P :wink:

Seriously, that's a pretty good set. You just need to add the home computer versions by Mirrorsoft, and the handheld versions now...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...