How to manage the balance between retro and current purchase

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

AceGrace

How to manage the balance between retro and current purchase

Post by AceGrace » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:31 am

Hi All,

Every month I have an internal struggle whether to buy some retro games or new releases.

I am always gripped by the fear that whatever I decide not to buy will disappear a month or two later.

For example next month.

I was planning to buy some neo geo cd stuff but current gen releases next month are :

Omega Quintet
Kirby
Splatoon
The witcher 3

I fear that If I don't get at least the first three from that list, then they will be difficult to find later on even though in reality they will probably be a lot cheaper.

On the flip side I have my eye on some neo geo cd games on ebay but have the same fear that they will be gone If i don't get them.

How do you manage the balance?

Am I mad? :lol:

Negative Creep

Re: How to manage the balance between retro and current purc

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:12 am

To be honest I never think about the age or balance, it's juts what I feel like playing. It does tend to go in "phases" though

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:15 pm

I have managed this for the last few years by not reading anything about modern gaming. Since I now no longer have a clue what current games are out, or due out, I no longer have the desire to buy them unless I see them on a shelf somewhere. By this time, they're usually cut price. And the ones I might have wanted, have completely passed me by, so I'm not missing them, since I don't even know they exist.

So far its working for me, my PS3 and 360 only have a couple of dozen games, I've hardly bought anything much for ages. There are probably loads of potential classics I neither own, not know about. But since I already have a vast pile of shame to work through, it really isn't a loss. I buy the odd game here and there, and it's all good.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:09 pm

I pretty much never buy Retro now, unless it's in the form of a HD re-release or XBL/PSN release.

I have a nice collection or N64 & original Xbox games I go back to and regularly enjoy. Outside of that emulation works for me. Problem is I have so many great current gen games to play and none of my gamer friends care for retro :roll:

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:22 pm

Price is a good point - the bubble hasn't burst yet so complete SNES/N64 games are mostly out of my price range. It's a great time to be buying 360 and PS3 stuff though

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:19 am

my purchases are in two categories

retro, fun and cheap

modern, fun and cheap

I dont own an xbox 1 or ps4 because they are too expensive, £300+ for a console, £50-60 for a pad etc, £50-ish for 1 game.

Its not something I can justify, gaming is one of a number of hobbies

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:54 am

Im more retro than modern as a lot of modern looks dull

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:19 am

I don't buy too much original retro anymore unless its a very choice item. I purchase/download HD remakes and will pirate old games I've owned in the past but i'm mainly purchasing modern these days.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sam_P

Post by Sam_P » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:19 am

Since I started collecting retro games, I've spent a lot more time/money picking up retros, unless something I've wanted for a while has been released (I think the last current gen game I've bought was NHL 15).

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:35 am

It's mainly about space for me.
I have a Wii U and PS4 connected to the TV so they're what gets played the most. As such, they are what I spend most money on.
I have a small collection of handheld stuff (mainly Nintendo stuff up to GBA and also Sony PSP) and add to that when I see bargains (there are insanely good PSP bargains around at the moment).
Other than that my other consoles don't get much use. I'd love to use them more but its a hassle. I'm planning to move soon so may try to fix up a little retro section in the spare room.
Having said that, I always keep my eyes open at car boot sales and second hand shops. My tastes are quite common so I can often pick up some good bargains. I'm more interested in old platformers and driving games than anything - not super rare JRPGS or Shmups.

leefishuk

Post by leefishuk » Sun May 17, 2015 11:48 am

Space and money define my purchases.
If I see a bargain, current(ish) or retro, that's it

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Sun May 17, 2015 12:46 pm

Just bought Project Cars on ps4, haven't yet tried it but it looks great. Recently downsized my retro collection due to the fact that I may well be moving soon. Sold my n64 and super nes stuff but kept my ps2 slim.

I have great memories of the 16 bit days but when I buy a game from that era I often find it disappointing and find my mind wandering whilst playing them. I think most of the fun was playing them at that point in time, just isn't the same for me now. :(