Charity Shop Consoles

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Space Holiday

Charity Shop Consoles

Post by Space Holiday » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:47 pm

Hey everyone,

I often go into charity shops looking for second-hand game consoles at a cheaper price than eBay etc., but i find that I often don't see them at all. I did some voluntary work at Oxfam and they tended to send these machines elsewhere because they had no way of testing them for safety and what not. Also, I feel like a lot of places know that these retro machines go for a lot of money now so maybe finding good deals is becoming harder?

What does everyone think? Have you ever found a great console deal in a charity shops?
Check out Alt:Mag - We're always looking for new writers! Apply within.

DPrinny

Re: Charity Shop Consoles

Post by DPrinny » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:03 pm

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:13 pm

As someone privy to such things having volunteered in a BHF store for 3 1/2 years, let me tell you that hiring a PAT tester for a charity shop is expensive. The company we use has the usual hourly rates for its employees as well as travel expenses and an additional charge of £1 per item tested (whether they pass or fail and regardless of how much the item is worth).

Function testing on the other hand can be handled by volunteers once they've had the requisite training - it's something I've done on occasion when none of the dedicated testers have been available. When it comes to consoles, the main reasons for failure are pretty obvious - missing cables, no games at hand to test them with, damage to the casing or wiring etc.

However, with some items not being certain testers' areas of expertise, there are oversights. I admit that on occasion, I have taken advantage of certain bits having been marked for scrap even though they are complete, undamaged and fully functional.

All that is asked in this situation is that a donation is made - whatever you feel is suitable or you can afford. This of course means I have had some crazy bargains:

NES with two games (only missing an RF cable) - £2
DS Lite (no charger, broken hinge but otherwise fine) - £1.50
Atari 2600 with eight games (the regular tester failed to make an association with the Ingersoll AC adaptor which he had thrown in the bin) - £1
Boxed Dreamcast - £3
Chipped PS1 - £5

I've also had a PS2, GameCube, Mega Drive, Amiga and a couple of various models of GBA but they hadn't been scrapped so only got the staff discount.

Other systems I've seen have been mostly the usual but we've had at least one SNES, N64, Saturn and even a 360! Since Cash Converters opened two doors down, we've taken a noticeable hit in the number of consoles we get in. Even then, if we did get anything really good it'd be no doubt be sent off to our eBay centre in Leeds.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:25 pm

Most charity shops have ebay accounts these days. That's where games consoles go now I'm afraid.

I'd save yourself some time and shoe leather and save up some pennies.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:40 pm

I've had very little from charity shops apart from games, stuff that was bin on ebay for £10 a go, I got for £1 each. That was a while back and it was ps1/2 stuff.

I went in to a local charity shop after not getting any bargains for a while and asked if they had any old computers in, the lady started resighting off loads, and they were upstairs. Upstairs in this particular store was a graveyard for overpriced electricals, music and general crap, but it was open to the public, I made the mistake of saying 'oh I'll have a look up there' then she started ranting about loads of 'young lads' (I'm 33) come in and try and get these old computers for next to nothing. I let her say her piece then sort of shrugged and walked off. I'm not the loudest person in the world especially not when some random old bag has ran her mouth off at me just because of one of my hobbies.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:08 am

I haven't seen a console in any of my charity shops. pretty much ever. but went in the other day and they had a ps2 with about 10 singstar type games for £25, or a gamecube with no games (or controllers, but all other leads), for £20.
didn't bother with either.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:26 am

A few weeks back I got an original xbox (chipped), a gamecube and a saturn all for about £25.
Last edited by AceGrace on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:46 am

My past console hauls from charity shops

Boxed Mario All-Stars SNES £8
Boxed Gamecube £5
Several Megadrives 1 and 2s
Boxed sealed GB colour £3.99
PS2s
Nintendo 64 with 8 games including Conkers for £8
Most recent was 160gb Playstation 3 for £40
Going Solo...................

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:55 am

I saw a Mega CD with a bundle of games for £60 a few years back. Passed on it while I had a rummage in another shop a few doors down to think about it (£60 was a big spend for me then), less than an hour later it had gone :(

Looking up the titles later it would have been a steal, a couple of rare/desirable titles were in there.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:32 pm

I got a Mega Drive 2, several pads and about half a dozen boxed games once. The lady asked for 2 quid, I felt guilty so chucked an extra quid in the donation tin.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:03 pm

Rarely consoels of interest,
But games wise its also mostly the same

Did once get a load of pads for a fiver
Oh and three Mega Drive games for two quid, one was Streets of rage 3

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:14 pm

Recently the Lady in the Charity shop kept a load of Games by for me giving me first refusal had 12 CIB Megadrive games and some minty Mega CD and PS1 games.. She also gave me a Megadrive 2 for free as she said they where going to bin it.. Another charity shop held two N64's by for me with a lot of games and pads.. Also got pal Dreamcast Canon Spike and Legend of Kartia £1.99 each and some PS2 RPG's for 25p

Last few weeks I have saw a few boxed PS1's with games, a few PS2 and X Box consoles and also a Gamecube with 10 games they wanted £15 for that and a Amstrad with Green Screen monitor.. I've also got 5 GBA's/SP's with tons of games and they let me have them for £5 with lots of boxed games..

As they know me they keep the games consoles buy but there is several other collectors who are in regularly... Today I saw loads of PS1/PS2 and X Box games and lots of Wii Girl games and PS3 sports games, RED Dead, GTA etc..

Charity Shops here seems better here for Heavy Metal records Metalica, Guns and Roses etc which I believe are quite rare but have no interest in.. I picked a Guns and Roses appetite for Destruction record with the woman being attacked by a robot dressed in Nazi Paraphernalia and swastika's all over the wall, the cd version features a cross
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:52 am

I have to ask. What movie is that gif in your signature from?

It's bugging me.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:57 am

AceGrace wrote:I have to ask. What movie is that gif in your signature from?

It's bugging me.
Freddy got fingered, a film thats kinda funny once, its a girl thats obsessed with giving mouth pleasure