Mortal kombat x

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

stayAwhile

Mortal kombat x

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:48 am

Anyone getting mkx I've preordered a copy but cant pick it up till the 16th it will be my last big purchase till elder scrolls online as well as in between i want to get the mkx kombat pass and the first 2 seasons of pinball arcade.

The only thing that I'm not happy with on mkx is skins that are 100% exclusive if you own the game on both mobile and home systems I just hope its a timed thing and they become part of the pass at some point.

I hope it lives up to the hype as I really enjoyed all the past games including spin offs (although mk1 on gameboy was awefull and mk advance was a step down some previous hand held mks) but I have to say 4, deadley alliance and dc universe left me a bit disapointed but I really enjoyed 1,2,3,trilogy,armageddon and the reboot.
This guy are sick

Megamixer

Re: Mortal kombat x

Post by Megamixer » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:24 am

I really enjoyed the previous reboot (and I'd never been a fan of the series before that) and this one looks like more good fun, especially with Jason Voorhees and the Predator as guest characters :) .

I have to say though that the amount of DLC, pre-order bonuses and exclusive bits of content already revealed (the two guest characters are DLC I believe) is really irritating so I think it will be smarter to just ignore this for now and wait for some sort of GOTY or 'Komplete' edition which has everything on the disc.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:55 am

I wouldn't usually spring for a game (no matter how much I want it), if it's been released with some much dlc, however, I managed to snag a digital copy of the game on steam for just over £12, so not a bad initial cost for the game if I were to purchase some dlc.

As I love my fighters, I can't wait to get my willy wet with this one

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:30 pm

Megamixer wrote:I really enjoyed the previous reboot (and I'd never been a fan of the series before that) and this one looks like more good fun, especially with Jason Voorhees and the Predator as guest characters :) .

I have to say though that the amount of DLC, pre-order bonuses and exclusive bits of content already revealed (the two guest characters are DLC I believe) is really irritating so I think it will be smarter to just ignore this for now and wait for some sort of GOTY or 'Komplete' edition which has everything on the disc.
Fighting games DlC is getting ridiculous for the completist.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:25 pm

I will proberly get this version and the komplete version to komplete the kollection but i'm undecided weather to get the pass untill komplete ed details kome to light and should it be DLK not DLC
This guy are sick

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:50 pm

Really like to the look of Mortal Kombat X from all the fatality and move videos I have seen, but all the DLC has put me off buying the main retail version, will wait till the Komplete edition comes out and get it then.....or maybe if PSN has it reduced to some unmissable price, but that is very unlikely.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:12 pm

Isn't The Predator one of the DLC characters? Even compared to previous games the fatalities are insane - going back to an earlier thread it certainly isn't something I'd buy my kids for Xmas!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:24 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Isn't The Predator one of the DLC characters? Even compared to previous games the fatalities are insane - going back to an earlier thread it certainly isn't something I'd buy my kids for Xmas!
Yes. Predator, Jason and two others are in some sort of DLC pack.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:44 am

fighting games isn't a genre i play that much anymore (i'm also not very good at them) but i enjoyed mk9 on xbox360 so i see myself buying this down the line when it's a little cheaper

i hope there's a little bit outside of fighting too (like in Deception the story mode or in 9 the unlock graveyard)

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:02 pm

snesfanboy wrote:fighting games isn't a genre i play that much anymore (i'm also not very good at them) but i enjoyed mk9 on xbox360 so i see myself buying this down the line when it's a little cheaper

i hope there's a little bit outside of fighting too (like in Deception the story mode or in 9 the unlock graveyard)

I was naively hoping for a sort of RPG but it was basically a glorified training mod,e although running round punching everyone was kindof fun. Or the chess mode (which was made kindof pointless in that you still had one on one fights, so it didn't matter if you were no good at it)

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:39 pm

They shoul redo the chess mode but have a mode where taking a peice plays an animation like in battle chess as well as the mk deception mode
This guy are sick

Misery

Post by Misery » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:14 pm

I bought this myself today on the PS4.... after going through ALOT OF FREAKING TROUBLE with PSN.... but so far, this one is very, very worth it.

Yeah, it's got the day one DLC.... and I dunno what the price comes down to for you guys that are in the UK, but where I'm at it comes to a hideous $90 with the DLC; most new games cost 60. Granted, the DLC "bundle" pack is apparantly chock full of stuff, but still.

Other than that though.... this one is, to me, a shining example of how a triple-A game should be done. There's ALOT of content here. Each character having 3 variations (I have no idea if there's more that are unlockable for each) adds alot to it, as your overall tactics and combos can change alot based on which variant you choose. Numerous outfits for each character too (which, I note, are unlocked IN GAME, not bought through some damn stupid microtransaction store), 2 Fatalities (which so far are pretty entertaining), 7 "Brutalities" (havent figured these out yet), and you also have 2 "Faction Kills" that you can pull off, which arent character specific but instead are linked to the faction you chose at the very start. Faction system is pretty interesting, I havent fully explored it yet; there's a number of modes/things that I cant access with it yet.

Majority of the single-player experience is the "towers"... if you remember how the single-player mode was laid out in the very first game, it's like that... I think most of the games in the series have used that format. There is a story mode, yes, but the towers seem to be where the real action is. So far, these are very fun, and I say that as someone that usually does not at all get into the single-player element of most fighting games. But this time around I just love the heck outta it. Each tower has different rules, and there's also individual towers that focus just on the usual minigames (test your strength, test your luck). The point of a tower isnt just to win, but to score as many points as possible while doing so; the scoring system is well explained in the stats screen that appears after a tower is finished. The "living towers" are the ones that are the most hilarious, they have quirky things going on, as the game has that mechanic where modifiers can be applied to a match, pretty much all of which are quite loopy. And hilarious. You can have a bunch of these active at once, leading to utter chaos. There's also hourly, daily, and "premiere" (weekly) towers (at least I think that was what that one was called), which are pretty much what they sound like, in that the leaderboards are constantly reset. Normally this isnt a concept I see outside of PC games. Those can have different rules and such too. The daily one I just did started out with the darkness effect... where the screen randomly goes pitch black during the match, and kept adding new effects every couple of matches. Wasnt entirely sure what was going on anymore when I hit the top of the tower, where there was the darkness, lightning bolts, earthquakes, and the game moving at 2x speed, against freaking Raiden of all characters. That was really damn hard but hilarious.

As for game mechanics, they carried over most of the stuff from MK9, like the x-ray supers, the combo and block breakers, and so on. Alot of special moves also have these cancel effects to them that create a ton of versatility for the move, I"m loving this system but it really takes some practice to use and it's different for each special. It all feels very polished, and the game's controls are spot-on, wheras with MK9 they always felt off to me. Gameplay-wise, I'm not going to tire of this. Character movesets are well done too, good variety there, and Kung Lao is extra annoying. Him and that damn hat. He has LOTS of "do weird crap with the stupid hat" moves. Also, it's worth noting that yes, this game places importance on doing combos; if you dont like that sort of thing, this wont be the game for you. But it's not to the loopy level that games like Guilty Gear or Blazblue take it. There's 2 types of combos: juggle combos, which work similarly to the games I'm used to in terms of linking moves and the timing and all of that, and then there's what I always call "canned" combos. Games like Tekken use these, Injustice used them, and MK itself has used them since like the third game. The thing that throws me off about these is that, well, with the juggle combos, you input each command at the proper time after the previous attack that you input has connected. That's the usual way, yeah? With the OTHER type of combo (and each character has a huge number of these, they're in the expanded move list) you dont do it that way, instead, you put the command string in all at once, so you'll often have put the whole thing in before the first move or two of the string (which might be like, 5 hits) has completed. This is going to take me some time to get used to. This is also a fast-moving fighter; it has plenty of the "technical" aspects that games like Street Fighter use, but the speed is more comparable to Arc's games.

And the unlock system from 9 is pretty much here, but there's more to it, you have this huge Krypt place to explore, moving around in it like how some first-person RPGs work. There's puzzles to be solved and special items to locate to reach different sections of it, and it seems seriously enormous, particularly as it turned out that there's more than just one map, and even just the starting map is bloody huge. It'll also randomly jumpscare the hell out of you when some sort of beast/spider/monster suddenly just comes flying at you; hit the right button just before it smashes you and you gain coins, miss and you lose some. That, I didnt expect. Damn near jumped out of my chair. There's about 50 zillion things to unlock, including these funky timed chests which I'm not going to take the time to explain here; getting all of THOSE, figuring out where they are, is going to take utterly forever. Hint, listen for the "WOOMPH" sounds they make when appearing or vanishing.

And really, I could ramble on about this for some time, as there's quite a bit more to it than just the stuff here... suffice it to say though, as a fighting game fan, I'm very happy with this purchase... even if the price was absurd. The bundle content was not ready when I played it earlier, so I havent seen Jason Voorhees or the other characters that come with that. Fortunately you dont need the pack to fight AGAINST those characters if you're playing online. I'm eager to see what Jason in particular does and how he plays, I'm expecting a heavy/slow bruiser type. Considering the creativeness of the fatalities I've seen so far, he'll probably have some good ones too.

Also the graphics are incredible.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:11 pm

PC version broken on launch. Oops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZXSpJopli0

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:38 am

Negative Creep wrote:PC version broken on launch. Oops.

Not surprising.

As I'd said I went through LOTS of trouble with PSN (including them exploding my paypal account, which is going to take some effort to fix), and.... THAT was part of the reason. Knew it was a console to PC port, of a major, AAA game with the capacity for about a million things to go wrong.... yeah. Didnt want to do that, particularly not with a fighting game.

It's just WAY too common with ports. I'm betting the devs were just as frustrated as anyone else.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:52 am

Misery wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:PC version broken on launch. Oops.

Not surprising.

As I'd said I went through LOTS of trouble with PSN (including them exploding my paypal account, which is going to take some effort to fix), and.... THAT was part of the reason. Knew it was a console to PC port, of a major, AAA game with the capacity for about a million things to go wrong.... yeah. Didnt want to do that, particularly not with a fighting game.

It's just WAY too common with ports. I'm betting the devs were just as frustrated as anyone else.

I'm sure Outdated Gamer will be along to defend it soon enough :P But seriously, I doubt anyone is surprised. The world of video games seems to be the only industry where it's perfectly acceptable to release a product that doesn't work as advertised then fix it later