Wii Virtual Console Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Xesh

Wii Virtual Console Games

Post by Xesh » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:22 pm

I've just downloaded A link to the past and when I try to play it my TV says 'Mode not supported'. :cry: I'm using the component cable and I've checked the settings on my TV and they don't seem to make any difference. Also I've just updated Super Castlevania IV and that doesn't work now even though I was playing it this morning. :evil: The same thing happens with Super Mario World. I think it's to do with the component interlace (whatever that is) because games that don't mention that seem to work fine.

Anyone know what's happening here or do I have to use another connection. If so the what is the next best after component? :?

Also I've just developed another problem. My console no longer seems to recognise my controller. It was fine until I changed the batteries and now it doesn't have the one led lit now. The console doesn't even register any button presses at all. Not even if I press the 'sync' button. Could this mean the sensor bar is knackered?

It's weird because I don't play every day (I've only just used the batteries that came with the console).

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:59 pm

This might bestating the obvious, but have you tried other batteries? You might have just got a duff set that have lost their charge.

Can't help with the connection issues - I can't even get 60Hz in colour just now, I think I need a proper RGB cable.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:44 pm

The battery indicator shows full charge so that's not the problem. Also all four leds flash whenever a button is pressed.

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:28 am

I had something similar with mine after my four year old threw the controller at the floor in a huff!

Again, it's stating the obvious but I just pressed the re-sync button inside the controller and on the Wii. This didn't seem to have any effect until I rebooted the machine and then it worked fine again.

Thought I'd mention it just in case.

Also, is it just me or are the selection of games available for the Wii VC really expensive and poor compared the Xbox360 Live Arcade?
'What's a Ftoomch?'

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:32 am

Turned on my machine this morning and everything works fine (except for the SNES games). Maybe I need to turn off the console completely when changing batteries and not just switch it to standby?

I've just read my TV manual and it says it doesn't support interlaced mode but this was mentioned in the section about the VGA input. I'm going to try connecting with the standard AV cable tonight and see what happens. :(

Demonblaze

Post by Demonblaze » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:12 pm

The AV will work fine, I think this is a problem that Nintendo will get around to fixing. As for your remote you should try re-syncing it to your machine (My Xbox 360 is notorious for that too). I would suggest getting the Joytech recharge Station for the Wii as it comes with 2 battery packs, charges 2 remotes at one time and plugs into the usb socket (perfect when in standby). I do agree that the VC games are expensive but I find alot of the titles outclass most of the 360s in terms of playability. I just wish they'ld add more PC Engine classics, some MSX & NeoGeo games and 60mhz in ALL games.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:11 pm

As Demonblaze says, its a re-synching problem. All you do to reset your Wii-mote and stop that annoying 4 lights flashing, then nothing, is unplug the Wii for a minute, take out batteries from the Mote, then turn the Wii back on while holding the synch button on the machine (under the flap by the SD card slot) until the channels come up: you'll not get any feedback to tell you this is happening though, so just keep it held. Once the channels come up, let go of the button (that's all synch stuff reset), press the synch button on the Mote once, and hit the machine's synch again once. You can do this with Mote 2, etc now also, Mote synch button, then machine synch button..
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:03 pm

I've re-connected the Wii with the original AV cable and everything works fine now. It's just a shame that I have to put up with the worse picture quality (the component output is noticeably better). :(