Sega fans - what has filled the space they occupied for you?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sega fans - what has filled the space they occupied for you?

Post by 3703 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:30 pm

Since Sega bowed out of the game, I haven't found a lot that I like. The risks they took, the pick up and play and the creativity, without going brown and gritty poo like the others. They offered a big chunk of the experiences I like.

Any Sega fans found alternatives that approximate what they used to offer?
Last edited by 3703 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crusto

Re: Sega fans - what has filled the space they occupied for

Post by crusto » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:07 pm

Good question, and one I've never really thought about. I never bought any of their consoles after the MD. I opted for the SNES as opposed to the mcd, sidestepped the 32x completely, and ditched the Saturn in favour of the playstation. A decision which turned out to be a good move looking back.

By the time the dreamcast was released I was never going to get one, having been totally won over by Sony. For me I was lucky enough to enjoy their hay day products and software with the MS and MD, and will always look back fondly to those. But I don't feel like I missed much after that, and am happy with my lot to be honest.

Eat your nans pants

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:31 am

I enjoyed sega games even when I didnt own the consoles.

The last console I owned back in the day was a mega drive, my next move was pc gaming in 96-ish, the last md game i owned was micro machines 96

I still gravitated towards sega's racing game output, but it supplemented any other racing game stuff i had, i sunk countless hours into grand prix 2 (microprose), indy car racing 2 (papyrus) and formula karts (sega)

by the time i got a ps2 it was still early-ish (2002) so there wasnt much, since then i have bought outrun, sega rally etc but i gravitate towards racing stuff for all systems and sega for retro, but increasingly i am finding the snes had cool stuff too

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:29 am

Good question and the answer is nothing, I just carried on playing old Sega stuff.

Nobody has replaced the void left by Sega, same with Atari to be honest, as both companies always focused on their arcade heritage and delivered great arcade games. None of the other companies have that legacy and have never even attempted to do that, sad but true.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:08 am

The Laird wrote:Nobody has replaced the void left by Sega, same with Atari to be honest, as both companies always focused on their arcade heritage and delivered great arcade games. None of the other companies have that legacy and have never even attempted to do that, sad but true.
Sega and Atari still have development and publishing power, I don't really consider Atari arcade relevant since the 80's, but Sega still releases a lot of arcade games a good couple of dozen a year, most published (but remember publishers normally pay for the development) only I admit. We still get plenty of download score attack/arcade games, I don't think there is a void if I am honest, if anything there is more choice and more value.

Sega did have great ideas, great peripherals, sadly that is missed.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:04 am

3703 wrote:Since Sega bowed out of the game, I have felt somewhat not catered to as a gamer. The risks they took, the pick up and play in with the unusual and daring. They offered a big chunk of the experiences I like. Not to give the wrong impression - I enjoy modern gaming, there are still genres I like, and franchises I like. But I'm wondering aloud whether other fans of Sega's software have found niches, developers or whatever else, that approximate the space and "feel" that Sega provided. Not just the arcade kicks, but the sum of the parts. Have you found another developer or corner of the industry that offers something similar?
Good question, and I can wholeheartedly say, no, nothing has truly replicated or filled that space that Sega has left.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:07 am

I probably play as much Sega now as I ever did, its not like they've stopped making games and I was never a serious Sega owner during the lifetime of their consoles. Briefly owned a MD and a few games, bought a DC when it was dead, so since they branched onto other platforms its been better for me.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:14 am

Sorry, i'm ever so slightly confused here... are we talking games or consoles? Because I didnt believe Sega stopped making games... just hardware, or am I mistaken? Surely if the games have not stopped then there's no gap where Sega once was that needs filling. If you guys are pining for the return of Sega hardware then fair doos but games wise they have been punting out stuff ever since they stopped making home consoles, right? A rather odd question set by the OP in my opinion because it sounds like he's implying that Sega are no more.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:17 am

When SEGA fell off I also fell off console games - I guess it was that I was using a PC for schoolwork and so gaming came naturally with that.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:15 am

gman72 wrote:I didnt believe Sega stopped making games... just hardware, or am I mistaken?
Other than Yakuza SEGA have stopped making games for all intents and purposes, they still distribute a lot of games like Aliens, Total War etc but these are usually made by external studios. The SEGA blue skies arcade style games have pretty much dried up.

Personally I've become a fan of Platinum and FROM Software. There are no real modern alternatives to SEGA, platform holders such as Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are much more conservative with their ideas and new IP, rightly so given what happened to SEGA.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:23 am

Emulation! Nothing bar a few odd indie titles comes close to the great arcade style games of old, today's consoles are a pale imitation of what they used to be, only Nintendo has the last 'true' console, but as well all know lacks massively in 3rd party games, even the promised arcade style eshop games don't materialize!

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:28 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:
gman72 wrote:I didnt believe Sega stopped making games... just hardware, or am I mistaken?
Other than Yakuza SEGA have stopped making games for all intents and purposes, they still distribute a lot of games like Aliens, Total War etc but these are usually made by external studios. The SEGA blue skies arcade style games have pretty much dried up.

Personally I've become a fan of Platinum and FROM Software. There are no real modern alternatives to SEGA, platform holders such as Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are much more conservative with their ideas and new IP, rightly so given what happened to SEGA.
Exactly. The Sega of old and the Sega of new are two different entities, imo. Sure they still put out the occasional good game, it's just not the same as it was when they were at their prime in the old Arcade and console times. And I agree Platinum Games, Grasshopper Manufacture and FROM Software is probably the closest it gets to a collective "Sega of old revival".

As for me, I stick to the classics but also explore niches that give me what Sega don't (not the slogan they used back then did they? :P ). This goes for some other companies too. I think crowd-funded projects are really the best way for game fans to get the kind of experiences they actually want.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:43 pm

I was a HUGE Sega and Sonic fanatic as a child, but when choosing either an N64 or a Saturn, I opted for the N64 as it had more games I wanted to play over the Saturn.

So I guess Nintendo has always been there for me to fill any SEGA void for me, and heck we did get a fair bit of SEGA content on Nintendo hardware so I'm not complaining...
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:51 pm

It's a crying shame if they really have packed everything in, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they're irreplaceable. I am curious what'll become of Project Diva though. As far as arcadey style games go, maybe Suda 51? Where the games aren't hugely deep but there's the satisfaction of coming back and doing a perfect combotastic run? Killer Is Dead and Lollipop Chainsaw still are good fun to run through quickly.

But for a long while now I've really been all about ArcSys and NIS

DaveDoc1984

Post by DaveDoc1984 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:49 am

In all honesty since the SEGA Saturn came out, I became a fan of Sony as the PlayStation was fantastic in comparison to the Saturn. I was very much a SEGA Fan throughout the 16bit era.

But then I preferred the Xbox 360 to the PS3 so went to Microsoft...

Now I like the PS4 and think its better (IMO) than the Xbox One but I wouldn't say I am back to being a fan of Sony. I also think Fanboyism sucks despite being a Fanboy during a couple of Console Generations.
In to Retro Gaming Pickup's? Light hearted reviews of both Modern Day and Retro Video Games? Check out my YouTube Channel!

http://www.youtube.com/DaveDoc1984
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1ESj3JPPnT