World of Warcraft

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Mancman

World of Warcraft

Post by Mancman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:06 pm

Anybody here still playing this?

I only ask as I've just picked it up again and started playing a toon i started back in 2009 and I'm really beginning to enjoy it again.

I've been playing this pretty much since release on and off, first time back since 2012. I guess when I know I have the time to spare, its still such a good place to get lost in for a few hours now and again.

I don't recall any threads on here about WOW and just wondered if you guys play too!

Rayne

Re: World of Warcraft

Post by Rayne » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:24 pm

I've tried playing it twice. The first time was solo and I basically wandered around aimlessly wondering what I was supposed to do.

The second time was with a friend, that was a lot more fun. After a few days though our interest evaporated pretty quickly :oops:

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:38 pm

I never fancied it to be honest, and nowadays I couldn't anyway as I lack a decent enough PC to be able to run it.

Eat your nans pants

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:45 am

Midnatt - Runetotem.EU
13 characters, 5 level 100 so far.
I must have something like 2 years gametime logged in total.

Playing with OpenSUSE+WINE on a 16GB k9670(? recent 4+core Intel) with a GS9600(? fanless 9600) gfx card.

As for the game itself, Blizzard doesn't know its own best. They keep taking 2 steps forward and one step back. With WoD(6.x) they have ruined professions and made a very bad copy of "player housing" (or a facebook game as many calls it).
They have thinned out the number of abilities - and there have been a few casualties in the process - and the talent model changed in 5.x to something I simply disagree with from a game design point of view.

To sum up what I think have happened with the game since "Vanilla": Too many money men and beancounters (making sure gear and items are never viable for use in a new expansion - taking away %-based procs/effects etc), "new management" who wants to stamp out what the old guys did and put a mark on it to show how it is now their work, simplifying their own work by reducing the number of variables they have to tune for (which is very sad because a large part of 'playing' was the metagame of trying to find setups and combinations that did things that were not intended and probably "overpowered" - I don't know how many times rogues have come up with ideas that have been smashed into pulp with the nerfbat; for example the "dig rat" which was an item you could pick up and drop down again with the ability to Shadowstep to - well, a rogue used it to solo an old raid boss over 4 hours and the next day the rat was nerfed).

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:14 am

Could never get into MMOs tbh. WarCraft III, on the other hand, I still consider to be one of the best RTS games out there. Even though I'm not a fan of base-building and micro-management. Or the 3rd dimension in traditional strategy games for that matter.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:24 am

I played it for 6 years when it first released but it just lost its magic over time.
The game used to encourage playing with other people but now, like pretty much all MMOs, it feels more like a single player game.

Ultima Online, now that was a great MMO.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:53 pm

I played it for about a month on and off. I'd find a quick evening session would end up with me wondering how it got to 2am and "should i do one last mission before bed?" It really got stupidly addictive until i progressed to the next area which contained a huge amount of people, shops and quests...and i realised i couldn't be bothered anymore. I did used to read the Gamerwidow forums where there were loads of nightmare stories about people playing non stop and losing their friends and families over it. I think it's an amazing achievement for this massive world to still have players logging on a decade later, but i'm not going back!

Probably.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:39 pm

I finally got my main toon, a 'priest/healer' to max level. I started him back in 2009, lol. Have a few alts which I play now and again. Enjoying my pala tank which I got to 63.

I found the changes made to the game in my 3 year absence quite startling, they've really simplified it in so many areas, to attract new players I guess. Can't complain too much though as my server 'Outland' is busier than ever and getting into dungeons takes no time at all, even if play dps!

Slackdog

Post by Slackdog » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:10 pm

Played for something like 5 years... been as long since I played and tbh it was fun whilst it lasted but not interested in going back!
What was more amazing to me was the challenge of making it work on the less capable Commodore 64. It was a real nightmare implementation, but I did it. - Archer Maclean