Sensible Soccer - consoles

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Re: Sensible Soccer - consoles

Post by The Laird » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:03 am

The SNES version is ok, but seems to play slower than the others. Apart from the Jag version the Mega CD version is excellent.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:10 am

The Laird wrote:The SNES version is ok, but seems to play slower than the others. Apart from the Jag version the Mega CD version is excellent.
This is due to blast processing.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:13 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
The Laird wrote:The SNES version is ok, but seems to play slower than the others. Apart from the Jag version the Mega CD version is excellent.
This is due to blast processing.
Exactly! :mrgreen:

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:00 pm

killbot wrote:There was an interesting making-of on the SNES version in Nintendo Gamer a couple of years ago. The devs spoke about how the game ended up more beginner-friendly on the SNES (the ball sticks to your feet, Striker-style, rather than pinging off them, Kick-Off style), but I still think it's a decent version. Possibly because I preferred Striker to Kick-Off.
Only on beginner mode. Expert mode gives the same control as the Amiga but up to three star players on each team where the ball does stick to feet.
Well that's good then isn't it? It's like playing it in 50hz.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

sidney

Post by sidney » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:59 am

I think Sensible Soccer on the SNES is a bit of an underrated gem and rarely gets a mention but it is perfect for the novice and plays a good game for the more experienced campaigner. The Amiga version remains the best in my view but the SNES version is a fine console adaptation.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:38 am

sidney wrote:I think Sensible Soccer on the SNES is a bit of an underrated gem and rarely gets a mention but it is perfect for the novice and plays a good game for the more experienced campaigner. The Amiga version remains the best in my view but the SNES version is a fine console adaptation.
Can't believe this thread is over a year old - good grief.

I've just started playing the Snes version, seems okay, I need to give it more play time though.

I never did get to play the Jaguar version. Not sure there's a decent emulator out there?

I wish someone would make a new version with polished graphics and updated teams (and not like the controversial Kick Off Dino Dini reboot).
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:30 am

stvd wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:LOVED Kevin Keegan's Player Manager on the Snes - made by Anco and a Kick Off style game. Man I was addicted to it back in 93/94.
Same here. A brilliant game. Theres so much more "game" here than in SWOS.
I loved SWOS on the Amiga, then the Megadrive but KK's Player Manager eclipses it easily.

Sensible Soccer is great for group games where players of all abilities can join in but in single player, it gets boring pretty quickly. There’s not much variation in it's gameplay.
SWOS never came out on MD did it?

I thought only the basic standard version came out on consoles.

Sensible world of Soccer ( SWOS ) on Amiga is by far the best version, full career mode, transfer system, and the ability to switch and manage just about every club in the world.

Sensible soccer on consoles is too basic a one player game for me, still great in multiplayer though.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:33 am

rolan wrote:Just get as good a striker as you can. Sell everyone else off to finance it. You want someone with pace and ball control.... The transfer system is a total mess but google around for good strikers.

Can you transfer and buy and sell players on the Console versions? which version is that, the 360 one?

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:38 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
stvd wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:LOVED Kevin Keegan's Player Manager on the Snes - made by Anco and a Kick Off style game. Man I was addicted to it back in 93/94.
I loved SWOS on the Amiga, then the Megadrive but KK's Player Manager eclipses it easily.

Sensible Soccer is great for group games where players of all abilities can join in but in single player, it gets boring pretty quickly. There’s not much variation in it's gameplay.

Sensible world of Soccer ( SWOS ) on Amiga is by far the best version, full career mode, transfer system, and the ability to switch and manage just about every club in the world.

Sensible soccer on consoles is too basic a one player game for me, still great in multiplayer though.
Md got sensi European champions and a world cup 94 edition, SNES got the same, master system got one version just called sensible soccer

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:13 am

flatapex wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:
stvd wrote:

Md got sensi European champions and a world cup 94 edition, SNES got the same, master system got one version just called sensible soccer
That's what I thought, So SWOS itself never came out on any console, only the standard versions.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:29 am

recently got sensi on ps1 it lacks some features of swos buts still fun, 2006 was fun too but 96/97 is still king
This guy are sick

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:11 pm

There's a Sensi compilation available that includes SWOS for the Amiga CD32:

http://unofficial-cd32-ports.blogspot.n ... -9697.html

You can't save your games sadly. Just burn the ISO to a CD as slowly as possible and off you go.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:29 pm

i was more of a GOAL supporter :mrgreen: but i did enjoy watching someone play it though

but amiga SWOS is pretty much the only one to get IMO
but i couldn't play any of that series for toffee!
i SIMMED the sames
it's brilliant for that, either watch the computer play itself or just the results
bought the first one, used that to simmplay an entire world cup with the teams available ..... of all team who went through to the final was WALES, beaten by the winners ITALY!

but since i'm a scot, went down the barras and got SWOS there :? yeah arrest me now .....

also did an ENTIRE world cup with that too, wrote down every result of every match in a notebook, which i still have!
some of which i had to write in squeaky felt pen ..... still gives me nightmares that :?
more recently used the team files for the PC version to convert, through numerous spreadsheets, into my international NHLPA93 megadrive roms, and i was planning to do that with the club teams too ..... slightly more than the first time, only slightly .....

played the gameboy version too, it was actually pretty good

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:43 am

There is this - http://www.sensiblesoccer.de/forum/inde ... ic=26031.0

A SWOS with a 16/17 makeover.

Not tried it myself.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."