Sensible Soccer - consoles

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rolan

Re: Sensible Soccer - consoles

Post by rolan » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:57 pm

360 version is easily the best version ive played, the transfer market is still completely broken like in every other version of SWOS, as much as i love the snes and megadrive the games are broken as they're ridiculously easy and the goalies are terrible. I think there is an okay game gear version from what i remember

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:09 pm

So does anyone have any tips for me to become even remotely good at it?

rolan

Post by rolan » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:30 pm

Just get as good a striker as you can. Sell everyone else off to finance it. You want someone with pace and ball control.... The transfer system is a total mess but google around for good strikers.

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:48 am

Negative Creep wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:
SpockIOM wrote:I had the version on SNES, but preferred the MD version my mate had. So MD for console version, but the Amiga version was still the best for me.

For other football games, any other fans of Striker/World Cup Striker?
I loved Striker on the Snes. Mode 7! I loved playing as England (back when I cared about England) - I used to give the ball to Tony Adams at the back and rampage up the pitch to score wondrous solo goals!

I loved the music as well - often find myself humming it.

What was World Cup Striker?

I seem to remember you could edit teams but there was no battery back up, so as a kid I spent hours creating the then Premier League and refused to turn the machine off as I'd lose everything
There was battery backup in WCS. Me and a couple of mates did the same in editing up the Premier League. Unfortunately we made the mistake of not taking into account how good the teams we were editing was in relation to the Premier league team of the day and having teams like Iran and China being edited to the likes of Arsenal and M********r U****d, and teams like Brazil and Germany being edited to teams like Swindon Town and Oldham Athletic. D'oh!! It was a tedious afternoon spent sorting that out!
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:13 pm

Anyone play sensi on ps1? I might be getting it
This guy are sick

sidney

Post by sidney » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:23 pm

stayAwhile wrote:Anyone play sensi on ps1? I might be getting it

Please please don't do it, I bought it back in 1998 hoping for a pixel perfect conversion of the Amiga classic on a convenient Playstation disc, I have NEVER been so pissed off in my life with a gaming purchase. I was so horrified I took it back and got a refund. That game is a desecration to the name of Sensible Soccer, if someone gives it to you they are spawn of evil so avoid them...run like hell. Buy an Amiga and play the real game, failing that buy a Megadrive and play it on there. Do not put your Playstation through it.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:03 pm

sidney wrote:
stayAwhile wrote:Anyone play sensi on ps1? I might be getting it

Please please don't do it, I bought it back in 1998 hoping for a pixel perfect conversion of the Amiga classic on a convenient Playstation disc, I have NEVER been so pissed off in my life with a gaming purchase. I was so horrified I took it back and got a refund. That game is a desecration to the name of Sensible Soccer, if someone gives it to you they are spawn of evil so avoid them...run like hell. Buy an Amiga and play the real game, failing that buy a Megadrive and play it on there. Do not put your Playstation through it.
I want an A1200 but want to pay no more then 60 quid from a good seller who wont sell one that dont work my last one made a grinding squeel noise from the disk drive
This guy are sick

sidney

Post by sidney » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:46 pm

I do sympathize with you on that but Sensi is bugged broken and frankly bollocks on the PS1, if you can't get an Amiga for the right price try and pick it up for the Megadrive, the MD version is near enough the same and is not too expensive.

sidney

Post by sidney » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:46 am

Just picked up a copy of Championship Soccer 94 for the Snes here in America, just cost a couple of dollars so I thought why not?? Turns out that under that tedious generic title lurks Sensible Soccer! I was pleasantly surprised at how good it is as I thought it was not generally held in high regard by the Sensi fraternity, it lacks a bit of the Megadrive's presentational polish but does add a bit of its own. Control seems a bit more beginner friendly than other versions but I can't seem to do after touch on this version. That said I am still enjoying the Snes take on this old favourite. I have quite a Sensible Soccer collection now!

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:58 am

rolan wrote:Just get as good a striker as you can. Sell everyone else off to finance it. You want someone with pace and ball control.... The transfer system is a total mess but google around for good strikers.
FCS. Finishing, control, speed. Get a striker with those attributes and you're on to a winner.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:01 am

rolan wrote: as much as i love the snes and megadrive the games are broken as they're ridiculously easy and the goalies are terrible. I think there is an okay game gear version from what i remember
Really? Do you play them on expert? They are fairly challenging on that level.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

batman877

Post by batman877 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:39 am

In my opinion the Amiga version is the definitive Sensible Soccer experience, so seeing as the CD32 is a direct port I'd say the CD32 is the best console version.

I didn't like the arcade music and two button controls of the SNES and Megadrive ports.

The Gameboy version is quite fun too considering the limitations of the hardware!

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:07 am

I used to play it on the megadrive. I might pick it up again if I come across it as I really enjoyed it.

The only 2 things I didn't like about it was the fact that if you made too many edits it wouldn't let you do anymore unless you scrapped another edit.

And sometimes a crap football pitch would come up which was not playable at all so you'd have to end up reloading the game.

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:27 pm

There was an interesting making-of on the SNES version in Nintendo Gamer a couple of years ago. The devs spoke about how the game ended up more beginner-friendly on the SNES (the ball sticks to your feet, Striker-style, rather than pinging off them, Kick-Off style), but I still think it's a decent version. Possibly because I preferred Striker to Kick-Off.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:47 am

killbot wrote:There was an interesting making-of on the SNES version in Nintendo Gamer a couple of years ago. The devs spoke about how the game ended up more beginner-friendly on the SNES (the ball sticks to your feet, Striker-style, rather than pinging off them, Kick-Off style), but I still think it's a decent version. Possibly because I preferred Striker to Kick-Off.
I never really got into the Sensi-series for the reason you mention above about the ball not sticking easily to the feet. I actually was playing the Amiga version last night and although I'm sure with practice would be great fun....now you say the SNES version is more accessible, I may turn my attention to that!

Striker on the SNES was cool. The indoor football was a riot, and the way you could bend the ball was unrealistic but amusing.