Sensible Soccer - consoles

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Negative Creep

Re: Sensible Soccer - consoles

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:23 am

Liamh1982 wrote:
The Laird wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:How about the 360 XBLA version? Growing up I always had FIFA/ISS so never actually played it properly before then (and still can't figure out how to properly play it, I know I've complained about modern FIFA being too complex but going back to one button is very hard)
It's bloody awful, avoid it.
Agreed - all they needed to do was a straight port and yet everything's just a bit off. None of the old tricks work - yes, it's good that it's more difficult to score a goal but now they've made it a little TOO difficult.

No mention of the Game Boy version yet - to be honest, it's best left unmentioned. :(

I don't feel quite as bad at being utterly shocking at it now

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:50 pm

I like the ps2 version best. The gameplay is better imo, as well as the more precise control.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:36 pm

I hated the 2006 version on the PS2.

I got the PS1 version in a charity shop a few years back, never actually played it, I must give it a spin.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:42 pm

greenberet79 wrote:LOVED Kevin Keegan's Player Manager on the Snes - made by Anco and a Kick Off style game. Man I was addicted to it back in 93/94.
Same here. A brilliant game. Theres so much more "game" here than in SWOS.
I loved SWOS on the Amiga, then the Megadrive but KK's Player Manager eclipses it easily.

Sensible Soccer is great for group games where players of all abilities can join in but in single player, it gets boring pretty quickly. There’s not much variation in it's gameplay.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:04 pm

stvd wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:LOVED Kevin Keegan's Player Manager on the Snes - made by Anco and a Kick Off style game. Man I was addicted to it back in 93/94.
Same here. A brilliant game. Theres so much more "game" here than in SWOS.
I loved SWOS on the Amiga, then the Megadrive but KK's Player Manager eclipses it easily.

It did however have some of the most confusing menu icons in history

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:39 pm

Yeah KK's was a bit confusing on the old menu front - but when you were a 13 year old boy with time to burn it didn't matter! One drawback was you could only have one game running at a time - so my brother bought it but I quickly took over and he didn't get another look in!

I agree Sensi is a bit limited as a single player but I'm still playing regularly it after all these years so it's got something that keeps me coming back. It is an AWESOME two player game though, deffo agree there.

I'm going to get my brother's plug in and play "Megadrive" sensi soccer, since it's gathering dust at his place. Saying that I've been playing it on my Wii through a Megadrive/MegaCD emulator which has been very convenient.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:07 am

I had the version on SNES, but preferred the MD version my mate had. So MD for console version, but the Amiga version was still the best for me.

For other football games, any other fans of Striker/World Cup Striker?
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:32 am

SpockIOM wrote:I had the version on SNES, but preferred the MD version my mate had. So MD for console version, but the Amiga version was still the best for me.

I loved Striker on the Snes. Mode 7! I loved playing as England (back when I cared about England) - I used to give the ball to Tony Adams at the back and rampage up the pitch to score wondrous solo goals!

I loved the music as well - often find myself humming it.

What was World Cup Striker?
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:18 am

SpockIOM wrote:I had the version on SNES, but preferred the MD version my mate had. So MD for console version, but the Amiga version was still the best for me.

Striker on the Amiga was glorious, looked great through SCART and played beautifully. Also remember it being the one game that you couldn't ctrl + A + A reset for some reason, had to switch the power off. The CDi version is also one of the best games on the machine, indoor football on that version was the best.

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:01 am

greenberet79 wrote:

I loved Striker on the Snes. Mode 7! I loved playing as England (back when I cared about England) - I used to give the ball to Tony Adams at the back and rampage up the pitch to score wondrous solo goals!

World Cup Striker was basically a sequel to cash in on the 1994 World Cup without paying for an official licence! It was good fun and, from what I remember, was basically the same as the original but with a few minor tweaks. I think indoor 5/6 a side was a new option that was good fun. The music was great in this one too!

BTW, are you a Gooner too?
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:37 pm

The Jaguar version of Sensi is the best console version bar the CD32, I haven't played that one so can't actually comment.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:13 am

nakamura wrote:The Jaguar version of Sensi is the best console version bar the CD32, I haven't played that one so can't actually comment.
My cousin has a Jaguar, might see if he's got Sensi.

I've been playing the Megadrive version a lot the last few days. It's just pure unadulterated fun. I always end up doing a barry davies/john motson style running commentary, I can't help it!

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:14 am

SpockIOM wrote: World Cup Striker was basically a sequel to cash in on the 1994 World Cup without paying for an official licence! It was good fun and, from what I remember, was basically the same as the original but with a few minor tweaks. I think indoor 5/6 a side was a new option that was good fun. The music was great in this one too!

BTW, are you a Gooner too?
Ha, no chance, I'm a Liverpool fan. But I used to be a big England fan back in the 80s/90s, and loved tony adams. He'd probably do a job for Liverpool now tbh!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:38 pm

greenberet79 wrote:

I seem to remember you could edit teams but there was no battery back up, so as a kid I spent hours creating the then Premier League and refused to turn the machine off as I'd lose everything

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:05 pm

The Jag version is very good, back in the day I couldn't get into the console versions as I was used to joystick and found dpad controls awful at the time!