Top 25 Xbox Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

theantmeister

Re: Top 25 Xbox Games

Post by theantmeister » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:38 pm

deadpan666 wrote:This is a tricky one for me, as I'm currently collecting loads of PS2 and Xbox games and finding new faves all the time!
On a side note, why are Xbox games so hard to come by compared to PS2 games? Almost every CEX or Game I go into has a censored tonne of PS2 games, but the Xbox only gets a shelf (or has to share with the Gamecube). Are Xbox owners just hanging on to their games or something?

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:48 pm

The CEX near me has loads of Xbox games (or did last time I went in) there is also a independent shop near me that has a huge selection of Xbox stuff as well as an absolute ton of consoles too.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:45 am

theantmeister wrote:
deadpan666 wrote:This is a tricky one for me, as I'm currently collecting loads of PS2 and Xbox games and finding new faves all the time!
On a side note, why are Xbox games so hard to come by compared to PS2 games? Almost every CEX or Game I go into has a censored tonne of PS2 games, but the Xbox only gets a shelf (or has to share with the Gamecube). Are Xbox owners just hanging on to their games or something?
Considering the PS2 sold 150+ million consoles to the Xbox/GameCube's 10/20 million that's not so surprising really.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:21 am

I always thought that the original Xbox was a much more capable machine than the PS2. such an underrated machine.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:34 am

Nemesis wrote:
theantmeister wrote:
Considering the PS2 sold 150+ million consoles to the Xbox/GameCube's 10/20 million that's not so surprising really.
Yeah, I think you've hit the nail on the head....just the fact that more PS2s were sold.

I've actually found Amazon to be the best place to find the more obscure Xbox games...seems to be more on there than on Ebay.
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

BEARD!

Post by BEARD! » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:21 am

1 Halo
2 Thief: Deadly Shadows
3 Ninja Gaiden
4 Chronicles Of Riddick: ESFBB
5 Dark Watch
6 Halo 2
7 Legacy If Kain: Defiance
8 Doom 3
9 Panzer Dragoon Orta
10 Oddworld: Strangers Wrath

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:29 am

1. Project Gotham racing. The reason I bought my xbox.
2. Silent hill 2. The 5.1 track elevated this above the ps2 version
3. King fu chaos. Fantastic and frantic fighting game
4. Halo combat evolved.
5. Star Wars knights of the old republic. This just blew me away once I finally played it.
6. Panzer dragoon orta. This still plays and looks fabulous today.
7. Forza. Got board of Gran Turismo but forza got me back into sim style racers again. Much more enjoyable.
8. Oddworld strangers wrath. Criminally overlooked, EA should be ashamed of not pushing this game more.
9. Doom 3. I loved it, not as much as the original but it's still a great game. Showed you how much grunt the xbox had.
10. Ninja gaiden black. Hard as nails but boy what a game.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:30 pm

Halo: Combat Evolved
Jet Set Radio Future
Panzer Dragoon: Orta
Jade Empire
Breakdown
Gun Valkyrie
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
Conker: Live & Reloaded
Project Gotham 2
Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball :mrgreen:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:30 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:I always thought that the original Xbox was a much more capable machine than the PS2. such an underrated machine.
I'm a die-hard PS2 fan but even I have to agree. Relatively early games like PGR2 look amazing on Xbox and I was really impressed when discovering the ability to rip music CD's to the HDD and use the tracks in certain games (I first did this with the original PGR). There are a lot of multiplatform games that look or perform better on the Xbox too. The only reason I often go for 'lesser' PS2 versions is for the sake of convenience since I don't always have room to keep the Xbox out.

Panzer Dragoon Orta and Doom 3 are two other games that look incredible for their age and I can't see them looking as crisp and beautiful on the PS2 if versions had existed.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:32 pm

I REALLY havent played much XBox. Heck, I don't even own an XBox so I'm stuck with the limited range that works on a 360.

But I'll try.

1. Burnout 2
2. Burnout 3
3. Burnout
4. Conker Live and Reloaded
5. Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
6. Marvel Vs Capcom 2
7. Star Wars Battlefront 2
8. Star Wars Battlefront
9. Godzilla Save the Earth
10. House of the Dead III

Again sorry its not very impressive.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:06 pm

Megamixer wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:I always thought that the original Xbox was a much more capable machine than the PS2. such an underrated machine.
I'm a die-hard PS2 fan but even I have to agree. Relatively early games like PGR2 look amazing on Xbox and I was really impressed when discovering the ability to rip music CD's to the HDD and use the tracks in certain games (I first did this with the original PGR). There are a lot of multiplatform games that look or perform better on the Xbox too. The only reason I often go for 'lesser' PS2 versions is for the sake of convenience since I don't always have room to keep the Xbox out.

Panzer Dragoon Orta and Doom 3 are two other games that look incredible for their age and I can't see them looking as crisp and beautiful on the PS2 if versions had existed.

Exactly, I mean I had the PS2 and loved it, it had some amazing games but it was so popular that it overshadowed the other 2 machines at the time.

Its a strange one because some people assume that because the Gamecube and Xbox did not sell well that they must not have been that good. Despite the fact that they were both very capable machines.

joefish

Post by joefish » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:00 pm

Deinitely. Even in the rather weak driving game Wreckless, the lighting and particle effects were just jaw-dropping at the time; the PS2 conversion is an embarrassment.

My theory is that the original Playstation was such a desirable item that many kids didn't get first time round, that when they were earning their own money the PS2 was an obvious purchasing choice. Even seeing through the hype to the flaws of the PS2 (like no RGB DVD playback initially) the dedicated gamer had a longer wait for the XBox to arrive.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:05 am

In terms of processing grunt it has always been;

1. Xbox
2. Gamecube
3. PS2
4. Oric :wink:
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:08 am

I always remember friends who only owned the PS2 thought the Gamecube was a kids console that could not do games as good as the PS2. Then I showed them rogue squadron :D

I had at least 3-4 PS2 owning friends who bought a GC simply to play that game.

Anyway, if this means we are getting a feature on the Xbox then Thats great, will be an interesting read.
Last edited by RodimusPrime on Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:22 am

RodimusPrime wrote:I always remember friends who only owned the PS2 thought the Gamecube was a kids console that could not do games as good as the PS2. Then I showed them rogue squadron :D

I had at least 3-4 PS2 owning friends who bought a GC simply to play that game.
That's how I ended up with mine. I was out looking for a PS2, but everywhere was sold out (I seem to remember the cargo ship with the Christmas shipment had been delayed for some reason?). I walked into the Video Game Centre in Salisbury and the had an import GameCube running Rogue Squadron...

I walked out with the 'cube, Rogue Squadron and Luigi's Mansion. And several notes lighter :lol: