Retro/Current Split.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

How do you do yours?

I'm current, with a splash or retro.
32%
I'm retro, with a splash of current.
30%
Retro only
2%
Current only
6%
50 50
30%

Total votes: 53

crusto

Retro/Current Split.

Post by crusto » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:10 pm

I'm just wandering how many on here actively play retro games on a regular basis. And what the ratio is.

Myself? Mostly, I'm more happy to chat about them on here and reckon retro titles would be lucky to occupy any more than 10% of my gaming time. I tend to play the Capcom, MD etc compilations on my holidays, and remakes/re-releases from PSN. Although lately Suikoden has skewed that stat a little bit.

I'm happier just to "remember with a smile". This is because for me alot of games have been much poorer than I remembered them to be when I have replayed them, especially so in terms of 8 bit titles. I don't like damaging that warm and fuzzy retro feeling I get when I reminisce about the good old days. Damage it with the cold, harsh reality that some of the stuff we used to play just simply wasn't that good.

Please do the poll and let me know the split.
Last edited by crusto on Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eat your nans pants

gman72

Re: Retro/Current Split.

Post by gman72 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:34 pm

I'm current but with more than a splash of retro so I cant really choose any of those options. :(
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:44 pm

I am split right down the middle TBH.

Even more so now that I have a Retron 5 setup alongside my Xbox One, Wii U and 360, and PS3.

All hooked up through HDMI and So simple to sit and play any game I want now. I have a currently playing shelf and there is always a Snes, NES, or MD game or 2 on there.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:01 pm

gman72 wrote:I'm current but with more than a splash of retro so I cant really choose any of those options. :(
Hit the current with a splash of retro option and then say what your split is in your post :) . I was going to add more options, but there loads of possible combos really. So I thought it best to be keep it simple and rely on the poster to add the details in their post.

I'll add a 50 50 option though.

Eat your nans pants

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:10 pm

I voted option 2. I'm a de-facto retro gamer but I also check out some newer titles. However I'm very selective in the type of modern games I choose to bother with. For retro, I'm more open and tolerant. :wink:

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:20 pm

current with a splash of retro myself
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:45 pm

50/50 here.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:44 am

Current with splash of retro.

I've pretty much exhausted the retro cravings these days. My nostalgia needs are now fully indulged, I've visited the systems I missed out on back in the day and I've played enough of the "undiscovered gems" to feel satisfied that I'm done.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:52 am

Due to the ease of portable emulation now, I reckon I'm mainly retro. That is in part due to not having many opportunities to hog the TV with the PS3 and 360 though, and an abundance of games on my ageing laptop via GOG.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:15 am

Retro with a splash of current - the newest systems I own are one generation back so they're not "current" current if you know what I mean.

Looking at my last half-dozen hardware purchases, five are definitely retro (NES, 2600, Mega CD, TurboGrafx, Amiga) and although the 360 still has new games being released for it, it is now ten years old so it can't really be called cutting edge.

tachi

Post by tachi » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:40 am

For the last few weeks I have been Retro with a splash of current.
There simply hasn't been any current gen games that hold my interest since last year so I spend most of my time playing Ghostbuster on the SMS or some such.
Things may change when Bladestorm Nightmare comes out but for now, I'm happy :)
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:58 am

At the moment I would say i'm 50/50 as the Wii U has really rekindled modern gaming for me. If you asked me 12 months ago though I was mostly retro with a tiny bit of modern as nothing remotely interested me on the systems at the time

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:29 am

Definitely a 50/50 split right now.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:54 am

50/50. Having loads of fun on my wiiU/3ds at the moment and am really looking forward to picking up either an xboxone or ps4 this xmas. But i'm also playing through the megaman series and having a proper trawl through mame for the first time.
I find i'm rarely disapointed in going back to old games I used to really love, some are even better than I remember. Then theirs a huge slew of games I missed out on, or could never get very far in. I find even old games that don't play so well are at least interesting in some way, with strange or archaic designs and simple beautiful graphics, odd atmospheres etc.
I think old games offer certain experiences that modern games don't and of course vice versa.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:58 am

I'm another 50/50.

I've had a lot more game time so far this year - I think I just got a bit of that ol' gaming mojo back so made a bit more time in the evenings to play. I've had great fun catching up with games I'd bought but hadn't played on the, soon to be retro ;), Xbox 360. RAGE, Deadlight, The Cave, Binary Domain - still playing this.

The great thing is that retro games are so accessible so I'll often play retro games on my current consoles. Latest tech oldest games! I love it :) I finished Another World on Xbox One last month. First time ever!

I love playing the new old Commodore 64 games that get released too, stuff like Soulless and The Darkness, and then there's straight to iOS stuff from Jeff Minter that's essentially retro gaming. I don't have any retro machines set up at the moment but hoping to have a loft conversion done this year and turn that into a man cave.

Yea, definitely 50/50. Nice post btw, Crusto.