The 'NX' is Nintendo's next-gen console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Matt_B

Re: The 'NX' is Nintendo's next-gen console

Post by Matt_B » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:06 pm

I couldn't care less about trophies, but that's the way everything seems to be going these days. It's as though games aren't fun enough in themselves and they all need to be additionally gamified in exactly the same way.

Hopefully, if they do go down that route, there'll be an option to turn them off or ignore them.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:36 pm

Well, you can turn off the notifications for achievements/trophies so you pretty much can pretend they're not there. :lol:

I personally like that extra incentive to 100% a game for an achievement or 2. Would love Nintendo to give it a go as I'm sure they'd think of something to make it different to the others with their own touch.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:46 am

Ultimately if you want them to survive in the home arena, you have to allow them to offer things you don't personally care about. Trophies and Achievements don't interest me in the slightest but Nintendo need to do something similar. Don't be surprised however if they damn the consequences and go their own way again!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:49 pm

So we're now into October, the thing is heavily rumoured to be launching in March... and besides a codename we know nothing about it. No specs, no price, no firm launch date, only a tiny number of games announced... we don't even know what it does. Is it just me or does this feel unusual for a major console launch? To have revealed nothing at all about a console possibly launching in as little as 6 months is a bit weird.

Nintendo seem to be suggesting that the console is so innovative that they don't want their competitors to see it out of fear that they could steal the idea and beat Ninty to market, but come on, if the NX was revealed now and had some amazing feature that revolutionised gaming, would Sony and MS really be able to have their version out before NX launches? That seems like a very short lead time.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:54 am

I don't mind the mystery. Not much I can do between now and launch except stare at vids and screen shots which arrive soon enough. Makes little difference to me if they reveal it now or next year.

They may be hoping to sell as many Wii Us as possible until then (any is better than none), and many people will skip on a console if a newer one is on the horizon.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:59 am

I'm happy there's nothing to know yet. It's months away, we've got to get through Halloween, Christmas and New Year yet. I'm surprised there's been so much talk in this thread tbh.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:35 pm

Just wish they'd announce a Direct/reveal date already. Sure they might be keeping it super secret, but who's to say all this silence isnt because of a delay or problem?
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:18 pm

Its probably so that other companies dont nick Nintendos "TOTALLY ORIGINAL IDEA DO NOT STEEL WE ARE THE FIRST TO DO IT"

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:56 pm

If it is a new gimmick of sorts, ie anything other than just a big black box of specs, it's probably best they minimise the gap between announcing the concept and making it available for people to try, otherwise the concept will have months of internet criticism and cynicism. Nintendo need to get the public perception of the NX spot on, months of speculative ridicule in the absence of hands on experience could kill it dead before it even arrives.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:23 pm

One thing's for sure: it'll either bomb spectacularly or blow everybody's minds. I can't see there being a middle-ground with this.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:51 pm

Or maybe Nintendo are waiting until they are ready, and we are all just being impatient (the curse of the modern world) wanting to know everything now.

NX is Nintendos. Not ours. They set the terms, not us.

Patience.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:03 pm

You can trace it all back to the mobile phone game announcements. They had to let slip that they were working on new hardware, lest investors get the wrong impression and take it as a signal that they were transitioning away from the console market.

If the usual state of affairs had prevailed, we'd have heard nothing by now rather than just very little.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:07 am

killbot wrote:So we're now into October, the thing is heavily rumoured to be launching in March... and besides a codename we know nothing about it. No specs, no price, no firm launch date, only a tiny number of games announced... we don't even know what it does. Is it just me or does this feel unusual for a major console launch?
Sega Saturn MK II :lol:

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:59 pm

3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.